Is it just me... (spyware rant)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DaIceMan, Dec 7, 2005.

1. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

or does everyone else want to kill the people that create spyware?

Had a client call me on Sunday... pretty serious spyware infection (presented itself as a trojan, disabled spyware, antivirus, and pop up blocker).

The name of the one he has is SpyAxe, with a side order of Smithfraud C.

Did a quick google search, found the tools necessary to remove the infection. Did that, and it would seem the smithfraud c remover I found was bad or something, because now, the computer won't boot fully into windows, but the screen saver still works. BartPE and XP recovery console doesn't recognize a windows drive.

Now, I get to spend a few hours trying to save all their data, and reinstalling/activating windows. yea me!

2. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

Intelligence > Your Client.

3. DaIceMan

yeah... I try my best to make things easy, but he decided a while back that AVG couldn't be a good antivirus because it's free. So he bought something else instead.

Needless to say, he asked me to put AVG back on when I got it fixed.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I use Windows Firewall, Norton Systemworks 2003, and Lavasoft Ad-Aware. I've never had an active virus or spyware on my system.

5. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Actually, I'm pretty grateful for people who create spyware et al. Whenever a big outbreak goes around the office, it gives me leverage in the company in terms of trying to convince them to change the way they do their IT from haphazard to secure. I'm (generally) unaffected by it on my own systems, since I don't run Windows and am not an idiot, so it's all good IMO.

6. DaIceMan

well... more research shows that the smithfraud remover wasn't the problem, it was actually the antivirus software the caused the problem.

It found the file that was infected and quarantined it. Unfortunately, for me, it was a system file that explorer REALLY, REALLY needs. Thus, the computer wouldn't boot fully to windows because the file was in quarantine, instead of the system32 directory where it should be.

After a little flashback to my dos days, I would able to download the file, burn to CD and copy from the CD to the system32 directory and all seems to be good in the world again. I hope...

7. evh

evh Active Member

That should work... I would just use a floppy though.

8. DaIceMan

no floppy drive. it's a dell, they probably saved spending $2 by not including a floppy drive. Oh well, CDs are cheap enough.

9. evh

evh Active Member

For some reason I thought you couldn't copy off of CD-ROMS in DOS... dunno why I thought that.

10. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

i know that used to be the case... cuz old school DOS didnt have cd drivers unless they were loaded in one ofthe DOS startup files (was it autoexec, or some other one?) i know once win95 had the 'weird' DOS you could only get to thru windows, those files didnt load.... so you couldnt get to the CD Drive.

then again... i could very well be talking out my ass.

11. peerk

peerk New Member

I believe if you boot to DOS and your hard drive is NTFS, you will not be able to read/write to it.

Also, the drive not being recognized in BartPE and XP recovery console is a problem. If it is not recognized you can't copy files to it.