A&P Is it just me, or is the 70-200 2.8 easier to manually focus?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by BadRotation, Oct 8, 2006.

1. BadRotation

BadRotation New Member

seems like the 70-200 2.8L IS is extremely easy to manually focus, even on the 20d. All my other lenses I find pretty much impossible to focus manually due to the small viewfinder.

At first I thought it was because of the larger arperture, but my 50 1.8 is pretty much impossible to manually focus as well.

Might be because of the better optics, but damn it seems easy.

Had to manually focus alot of shots last night at a wedding I was shooting (the crzy lights at the reception were really screwing with AF).

2. canonshooter

canonshooter New Member

it is because of the larger aperture, and the fact that it has a real manual focus ring unlike the 50 1.8

3. saebryan

saebryan New Member

What do you think of the 2.8 is the IS really necessary?

4. BadRotation

BadRotation New Member

It is a great lens, one of my most used.. Just waiting for my 300 2.8, an then all I will need is a wide angle L lens and my collection will be complete.

As for the IS, it really depends on what you shoot. It comes in handy for low light shots of still objects if you are hand holding the camera. Generally it doesn't work the best in low light with people moving around, but I will say it saved my ass last night at the reception after the wedding I shot.

5. no it's just that the 70-200 autofocus blows balzz in low light conditions, that's my only gripe about this lens.