A&P is it just me? or do modern digi cams not focus well?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Valence, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

Most digicams do not produce the quality pics of film in regards to image sharpness and focus. I looked at steves digicam reviews and all the samples, of all the cameras, even pro dslrs have a mediocre focus capability.. nothing is ever completely in focus...

2. ( * )( * )

( * )( * ) OT Supporter

DOF?

3. 67olds442

67olds442 uhhhh

Believe most modern digital cameras images require post procesing, a USM, or sharpening after the picture has taken. they are intinotally left soft so you can do it and make it as sharp or as soft as you want

4. FastEddy

FastEddy Guest

You are right to a certain extent.

The chips have come a long way in the last year however they can only capture the info that gets to them. The lenses are the most important factor in focus and clarity. There are only a few mid level cameras that do a good job. You won’t see any great clarity and focus until you get to a Pro-sumer camera with interchangeable lenses.

The Sony 717 and 707 have a great fixed lens. I haven’t seen a fixed lens camera that will come close to them. From there you got to a digital body with removable lenses such as the Canon Digital Rebel that I use. The body is $800.00 or so and a good lens will start at $600 and go up from there.

The other factor is how are you viewing the photos? Are they optimized for the internet? Are they being printed properly? These are a few things to look at as well.

If you’re spending $129.00 on a camera you will get what you pay for.

5. sony

sony Active Member

Nope, point and shoots will sharpen in camera. You can adjust the amount of sharpening done to jpgs on the digital slrs and higher end p&s cameras. :hsugh:

6. MotoUp

MotoUp New Member

Exactly. Lens has everything to do with it. Even if you are shooting RAW (no post processing)with a DSLR, you can still get sharp pictures before post processing. It all depends on the camera too. With most point and shoots you can select the focal point. If they're set to centerpoint focus you have more control. If they're not, the camera kind of takes an average of what it sees, and you will get some blurriness. You just have to know how to use your camera.

7. 67olds442

67olds442 uhhhh

this is what I was talking about

"even pro dslrs have a mediocre focus capability.. nothing is ever completely in focus..."

I know for a fact these images require post processing, you can leave them how they are and use incamera adjustments, but if you leave it soft and sharpen it in post it will look much better.

8. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

A big CCD will make a big difference in sharpness because it's able to get more data for the image. The sharpest camera I've seen is the Olympus E-1.