GUN Is it just me, or are gun shows mostly for window shopping and unique items?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Emfuser, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

I went to the fun show over the weekend and the words that kept coming out of my mouth were "this shit is overpriced." Overpriced ammo, overpriced guns (as far as commonly available firearms go), overpriced accessories. Nothing seemed like it had a decent price tag on it.

:hs:

2. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

depends. the ones in Northern VA there are a lot of NFA items, i haven't seen those at other gun shows (granted the only other ones i have been to are in MD).

THere are a few dealers that have pretty good prices up here. I think it is more of "impulse" buying or people who don't really know the process of getting a firearm another way.

3. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Around here some of the shows just have a bunch of pictures of the "we can get this" stuff. The last one I went to, 80% of what was there was old WWI and WWII medic supplies and other collector type stuff that isn't actually firearm related. Very disapointing.

4. sneakyjesus

sneakyjesus New Member

window shopping for sure. Everyones trying to rip off everyone else.

5. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

That's the case for me... I only see a few guns that I'm actually interested in and they're all overpriced.

6. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

and canon fuses

7. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

my local one is hit or miss. I've gotten some good deals on stuff. Other things, are average priced. A few about what you would pay for online after shipping. So overall, it's not too bad.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I hardely ever buy anything from a gun show. We usually go just to browse. I wouldn't trust any of their ammo... I don't trust someone elses reloads.

9. Joe Somebody

Joe Somebody OT Supporter

Last one I went to they were selling really crappy Mosins for $200.

10. TheHunter

TheHunter Unprofessional Lurker

Used to be here in Dallas there were plenty of used guns, war memorabillia(sp?), new and used knives, new guns, and assorted crap. Nowdays it's mostly new gun dealers that setup and a few diehard traders. They are getting smaller and smaller. I've been going since the late 70's by the way to give you an idea of the timeline.

Dallas Market hall still has a decent one now and then. The ones over in Forth Worth mostly suck now. Really depends on who is sponsoring the auction I guess.

11. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

The last one here had some good stuff, including a retailer with every AR part and brand imaginable. It was real nice to be able to hold an ACOG and see whats up! Their prices were a little higher than what youd pay after shipping online, so I didnt pick anything up. I personally use the shows to handle what I'm thinking about buying online.

For the most part the people I saw walking around are the type who dont have a credit card and/or dont trust that damned interwebs with their money or guns.

12. SNDP

SNDP New Member

all gunshows start off overpriced, but you have to haggle..... Go in saturday then go back sunday night right before close and start lowballing offers, Ive never left empty handed with that technique. Ive purchased at least 5 rifles this way.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Last time I was in the local gunshop I saw a guy pay $28 for 20 rounds of surplus 7.62x54R. I was going to mention that it's $80 for 440 rounds at aimsurplus but then I realized he didn't look like the guy that would shop online -- let alone own a computer. Or a tv. Or a phone. Or anything else that they could "track" him with.

14. BLH

BLH Member

My roommate bought one of those last gun show he went to for 100$, now thats an ugly rifle. :)

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

what? It looks pretty much like any M1/Garand, Mauser, M14, etc.

16. BLH

BLH Member

Ahh, but the M1, etc, doesn't have the fine quality of finish that the typical Russian gun has (or lack there of). :)

17. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

only show I ever went to I basically felt the same thing. Course, I got a good deal on a K-31, so :dunno:

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

so what? I can get a mosin in good condition for $69.99. A Garand in shitty condition is considered a "steal" at $1200.

The mosins are great for what they are... And they are a piece of history that I think any gun owner should be proud to have.

19. BLH

BLH Member

I'm not saying they aren't a great rifle, especially for the price and historical value. Its just that they are cheap, and I personally find them ugly and unrefined (similar to the other Russian firearms I own, TOZ 35M comes to mind). Next gun show I go to and find one for cheap I'll probably pick it up for the hell of it.

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i agree they are unrefined. But honestly that's half the appeal of them. They're so brash/rude/offensive that it's cool.

If you find them ugly do you also find a Garand/M14 ugly?

21. BLH

BLH Member

I wouldn't go so far as say I call them ugly, but they certainly aren't the most attractive gun to me.

I do enjoy Russian guns, I won't deny that, there is something about a ugly gun that shoots just as good or better than something more than double its cost that appeals to me, but I still can't find them an attractive gun. Although I will agree with you that they do hold their own style of appeal.

22. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

Well, the gf had never been to a gun show, so I shelled out the bucks to go mill around there for 1½ hrs just to look at stuff before we went for dinner at Blue Cactus in 5P.

23. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Gun shows are for you to handle, in person, the shit you're going to buy off the internet or from the local gun shop, anyway.

24. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

last (and only) gun show i went to i just got .223 and jerky :o

25. t1h

t1h Guest

the ones here, 99% of it is either .22's, shotguns, revolvers, or hunting shit. i'm into c&r bolt action and semi auto's and there's just none of that here so I have to mail order everything.