A&P Is it just me - Colors v. Nikon + Raw

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by aCab, Sep 15, 2009.

1. aCab

aCab New Member

I feel like my .NEF files have so much more color and saturation than the .CR2 files from my old 30d. Is there something to this I am missing?

With my 30d, whenever I imported files from the Canon, they would look alright until the preview was rendered, when the jpg image was stripped of all its data revealing the .CR2 file.

However, with the D300, when I import with LR, the look dull when they first appear, but then magically "pop" with vibrance, contrast, etc. It's like all the data is added back in after they are imported.

What am I missing? :confused:

2. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

Sounds like a settings issue to me.

3. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

wat?

4. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

its the camera calibration settings in Lightroom. Personally, i dont like the way Adobe Raw renders Raw files anyway, so when dealing with Raw i import with the develop setting "General - Zeroed" that way i can my own adjustments for critical work

5. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

Nikons always have more vibrant colors than Canons in my experience.

6. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

I don't think that's Canon or Nikon issue, but more of a camera issue. For instance, LR completely sucks with auto WB with my D50, but with D300 it nails auto WB pretty much 90% of the time. I think LR just pwns with raw from D300. :mamoru:

7. havelegs

havelegs Active Member

When you shoot in RAW LR really has no idea how to render the color that you see on your LCD screen in your camera. This is a common problem and will continue to be a problem. The only true color settings you're going to see that you see on the camera would be to use Nikon's Capture NX program. This program can render the exact colors that you're looking for. I have a D80 and use LR and find that when I import to LR I always have to adjust every picture as color and tones are ruined. I ran into some LR profiles for the Nikon cameras but they still don't match the true exposure/coloring that you're seeing on the camera.

8. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

I've heard the Nikon RAW's weren't "RAW" and that the camera settings get applied to them. Not sure if this is still the case, but it was one of the main reasons astrophotographers don't typically use Nikon.

9. wrong1

wrong1 Member

check your import settings, sounds like you are importing with a preset applied. if anything your nef's should lose vibrancy upon import. when lr imports it shows the image preview wich contains camera settings. A second later it loads the raw image as it actually is. At least thats how i always understood it.