SRS Is it impossible for some to be fully happy alone?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by busydoingnothing, Dec 3, 2007.

1. busydoingnothing

busydoingnothing A broken man too tough to cry

I know it sounds great on paper that everybody can be happy just with themselves. It's something you can sell to everyone, as, when the dust settles, we are always just by ourselves. I'd like to challenge that idea.

I'll use myself as an example. I have a hard time bettering myself just to better myself. I need a reason to do so, i.e. to make myself look better to someone else. I've been eating like shit lately and have gained ~15 pounds as a result (I usually float between 165-175 but I'm up to 180 now). I never felt fully motivated to exercise and lose it until I got the shit whipped out of my by a dominatrix last night (see Vag and FS for details). Though I know nothing about her and we only shared a brief moment together which could ultimately amount to nothing, I still want to better myself because of her.

I feel about me and my talents as if I am a tree falling in the forest with no one around when I'm not displaying them actively to the world. I've always been a performer of sorts. I've been the class clown my entire life. I love being the center of (the right) attention. I love standing out (in a good way). All of these things require other people to fulfill. Without them, I feel like I'm missing something.

Is that just the psychological makeup of a performance artist? Is that what drives people to perform, while other artists, such as painter or drawers, embrace their particular art form to fulfill some inner need, and any attention garnered from their product is a bonus? Think about it. If I'm perfectly content in my own person, why would I be so driven to get out there and entertain others? Based on that idea, isn't it then impossible for some to be fully happy by themselves?

2. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

They put bad people in solitary confinement for a reason.

People are social animals, and we can't stand being apart from people. Introverts don't so much need to be the center of attention, but they still need friends. So yes, I'd say its impossible to be happy alone. I think 95% of people would become pretty damn depressed if they were completely alone after experiencing positive human interaction.

3. Lani

Lani child, that wind's gonna come and blow my blues aw

i can vouch for that. the most human interaction i get is at work and i dont even feel like me when im there. i just put on this act and truly am just an empty shell.

you have to be pretty unique to be happy and alone.

4. StayLRG

StayLRG New Member

i've been single for a while now and it definitely takes it's toll on me. i have a decent amount of friends, but i spend a lot of time alone and it sucks. brings me down

5. daneeyah

daneeyah Guest

i cant be alone for more than a min lol :wiggle:

6. Pringles

Pringles New Member

it's a known fact that babies die without love from their mothers. If a child is raised solely on being fed slept and given a place to sleep they die. It's part of how we live that we need others. I'm going to go with no sir.

7. daneeyah

daneeyah Guest

:werd:

i've heard about that... they did studies about it and stuff.

8. ballerman230

ballerman230 just a pale blue dot

oh yea? they did studies where babies died?

9. daneeyah

daneeyah Guest

I remember a few years ago I took a child development course and they briefly talked about the importance of touch and infants. And that studies have been done and it showed that babies have died or had psychological problems from the lack of touch. I took this class a while ago so I don't remember what the exact study name or who it was done by.. but it was something along those lines.

Maybe someone else here knows? :dunno:

10. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

These were probably studies done on children in orphanages in Romania, under Ceaucescu.

One of my professors conducted a study where touch played an important role in preterm babies.

Another one :

11. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

I wouldn't talk about death, but a heavy psychological distress, behavioral problems, and a limited cognitive and physical development.

12. SixSecrets

SixSecrets New Member

I am happy with being alone but am never lonely.

13. Mangina

Mangina New Member

:rofl::rofl:

14. Guerilla Grower

Guerilla Grower New Member

OP-I believe that people are on a spectrum, with the majority of people being such as yourself, they love to socialize and be around other people. I also agree that infants need to be held, touched, and cared for. But people in general just have preferences as to how much time they like to spend with others.

I've found that some people just don't have that kind of "pull" to seek out others, they entertain themself and are content to be inside their own head. I can relate as I am one of those people, I much prefer to spend long periods of time alone, in solitude then to be around anyone. I am very confidant that I can spend years without social contact, and I actually plan to spend the majority of my life in solitude. I'm not religious at all, I just love nature and animals much more then people. I can also honestly say that I can't remember a time when I have felt the sensation of loneliness. I believe I get this mostly from my fathers side of my family.

15. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

But you still post in online forums. So even when you're physically alone you still are interested that there are people out there doing/talking about things.