SRS Is it dangerous to use cocaine while on paxil?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by UNITED STATES, Mar 9, 2004.

1. UNITED STATES

UNITED STATES Sole Superpower of the World

My girlfriend uses cocaine occasionally and she takes a low dosage of paxil. Is this dangerous?

2. Demon Of Dreams

Demon Of Dreams Feed me with lies and hate, and from that, I will

Maybe its just me, but I wouldn't date anyone who uses cocaine, muchless is stupid enough to mix cocaine and a fucking antidepressant...

thats almost as stupid as taking an antidepressant then going out and drinking all night.

yes.
    its dangerous.

3. Phish Esq.

Phish Esq. New Member

Speaking from experience, this biggest danger is basically the following depression after the cocaine use. The drug interaction isn't going to kill her, no.
    After coming down off coke, people usually experience some type of depression as an after effect\. So if she's using paxil as a treatment for depression, cocaine use would not be something she would want to partake in.

4. UNITED STATES

UNITED STATES Sole Superpower of the World

Neither one is an MAOI

5. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

If she is taking paxil, she has problems. Mixing coke is a bad idea. It almost certainly points to the idea of self-medicating, as if she still wants something else.

If you just want to know the neurological ramifications of such a decision, use google. if you are in recovery , or someone you know is in recovery, then here is the right place.

All are welcome, but seriously - respect that we aren't here to coach you on what drugs to mix with what other drugs.

6. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

I don't mean to hijack this thread but some of this sickens me. Nukegoat --> just because someone uses Paxil, Wellubutrin or any type of medication used for Anxiety or Depression DOES NOT mean they are "fucked up".

I hope you meant Cocaine when you said Paxil. That's about the only thing I could imagine happening when you wrote your reply. :hs:

As far as Cocain Interfering with Paxil it WILL NOT. Would cocain interfere with an MAOI drug? YES! Referrence:
    http://holisticonline.com/Remedies/Depression/dep_antidepressant-MAOI.htm
    http://holisticonline.com/Remedies/Depression/dep_antidepressant-MAOI.htm

7. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

Why did you put "fucked up" in quotations? I certainly as hell didn't say "fucked up".

If someone suffers from "Anxiety or Depression" then i htink the following applies:
    :rolleyes:

8. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

"If she is taking paxil, she has problems." .... What's the difference?

9. kutkota

kutkota New Member

is it me or is the fact that she's using cocaine in its self dangerous. anyone else.

10. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

:bowdown:

thanks

11. cocaine is always dangerous :slap:

12. ~stangzorized~

~stangzorized~ New Member

13. blazing187

blazing187 Guest

don think it would

14. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

:bigthumb:

I would never mix the two myself.. whether they have a real reaction, i don't know but I think it's a terrible idea to mix an anti-depressant and cocaine.

15. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

you should also post this in the altered minds forum- lots of 1st hand experience with mixing in there.

16. martini

martini Orgasm Donor

I'm on a fairly high dosage of paxil, and I've done fairly large quanities of coke on a few occassions. the down that follows can sometimes be rough, but not really that bad.

17. Yes, it's dangerous, because it could lead to what is known as seratonin syndrome, as well as any other complications that may come from using illegal cocain. Additionally, if you're on paxil, chances are an imbalance already exists, and or depression of some kind is present. Using cocain can negate any positive factors of the medication at best, and kill her at worst. Combining a known SSRI, with Cocain - which also releases seratonin and other neurotransmitters in large amounts could be fatal.

(1)"When cocaine is present norepinephrine is released into the synapse from presynaptic storage sites. Norepinephrine stimulates receptors on the postsynaptic neuron, and then undergoes reuptake back into the presynaptic neuron. Cocaine blocks this reuptake, resulting in excess neurotransmitter in the synaptic cleft. Cocaine may also directly release neurotransmitters. The result is continued overstimulation of the postsynaptic receptors. Cocaine probably has a similar effect on dopamine and serotonin, with the final common pathophysiology being reflected as an excess of numerous neurotransmitters."

Reference

(1)Ferne.Org - The Cocaine Washout Syndrome

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2004