Is it common for temperature sensors on the MB to glitch?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Runescaper, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Runescaper

Runescaper Guest

I woke up this morning and saw that my CPU temperature was supposedly in the high 70s celsius even while in an idle state. I checked a second temperature monitoring program and it said the same thing. Naturally, I was worried, but at the same time skeptical that these readings were correct. The reason being, my CPU fan was still running and at a low speed. It has it's own temperature sensor independent of anything on the motherboard and, if it was running at a low speed, that means it's sensor thought the temp was much lower.

To check if the fans sensor was still working I tried opening some programs and doing various other tasks that would raise the CPUs temp. The fan increased it's speed just as it should. I tried turning off my computer for a few minutes and starting it back up. All the sensors are now reading normal temperatures and have been for the past several hours. How likely is it that the sensors on the motherboard had some kind of a glitch?

2. Shiva Chaos

Shiva Chaos i see boobies!

update bios

3. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

could just be a glitch in the sensor or the programs themselves

4. R-Type

R-Type The Bydo Empire must die!

mobo sensors are notorious for not being accurate. The best way to truely determine temperature is with a carefully placed external probe.