SRS Is it better to see a male or female counselor?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Falconer, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

If you're a dude.

2. verdiocchi

verdiocchi Oh snap!

I've heard from a few guy friends that they preferred males because they were able to relate more but I think it's a matter of finding the right counselor for you personally. I don't think gender is going to be a good indicator, but if I were a guy, I would probably go see a male counselor first.

3. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

That's the thing. I feel like female would be easier to empathize with but male would relate to me better.

4. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

It probably depends on what kind of issues you want to talk to them about and whether you feel more comfortable talking about them with a male or female.

5. JustJeff

JustJeff www.youtube.com/thisisjustjeff

I'm sure if you find yourself not liking the counselor, you can see if you can be assigned a different one that fits a certain gender.

6. verdiocchi

verdiocchi Oh snap!

If a guy can relate to you better, wouldn't that imply that he would be able to provide the empathy you're looking for better than a woman?

7. Ivan

Ivan New Member

I'm a guy and I personally prefer speaking to women, but I think it doesn't matter at all as long as they're good professionals.

8. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

It totally depends on the counselor. There are no hard and fast rules here...just find the right one for you. This may take some trial and error.

I've had kick ass success with 2 different male counselors and honestly, when we got down to some really deep issues with me, I would never have felt comfortable exploring these with a female counselor. It's all about trust and building that trust takes time.

For me, working through issues makes me want to be around guys that have "been there, done that" or can at least relate to where I'm coming from. Many of my issues dealt with past relationships so I wouldn't have felt comfortable talking with a woman.

9. KindlyCuddly

KindlyCuddly Irina Lazareanu

I'm just more comfortable talking to women and prefer female counselors (and have only had female counselors so far...), so I'd guess go with the sex you're more comfortable with.

10. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Why does everyone ask this? The thing with counselors is you need to just go out and try some. The first one you go to might not understand you at all. The point of finding a good therapist, male or female, is that you find one that you like.

11. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

No. Women are more in touch with their emotions which facilitates a deeper emotional connection.

12. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I have a feeling that is going to come up in mine.

Six months ago I would have preferred a female to discuss these topics. However, now I'm not so sure this would be correct (thanks to the Vag :rofl: )

13. verdiocchi

verdiocchi Oh snap!

I see your point, but I don't think that counselors are supposed to be emotional, whether male or female. I think they're supposed to be there to listen and offer their perspectives on things, not to form any kind of emotional connection. But then again, every counselor is different and everyone's needs are different. Just figure out what works for you and keep trying different people until you find the right fit.

14. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Good point.

15. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Oh last question. Does this like go on your record? Like if I went to a counselor and then in 30 years I go to run for president are they going to be like "uh, this guy went to see a counselor back in the day, he's crazy" or anything like that?

16. Vixxen

Vixxen New Member

my favorite therapist was guy

17. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

I don't know why you care so much man. Therapy does not equal crazy.

18. Go til you find one you like. M/F doesn't matter.

19. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

:rolleyes: maybe they can knock some sense into your head so you stop taking everything the clones say to be truth :p

20. maks

maks Bah! t(-_-t)

Successful people tend to see therapists. Its not just to solve issues, but to discover more about yourself and gain a greater perspective on life in general. It is quite hard to find someone you can talk to that is educated on their range of topics and will spend 100% of their time focused on you.

21. Coottie

Oh man...please tell me you're kidding.

22. Coottie

LOL...you still believe there is some "permanent record" of you out there?? Man I stopped believing in that shit right after I found out that Santa wasn't real.

Therapy is supposed to be confidential. When you give your consent to search your background, they usually search everything. Who gives a fuck if you went to counseling 30 years previous? Ok...so you do....well guess what the easy answer is, you were dealing with some difficult issues and wanted help in dealing with them.

You're human man....not perfect....and every president in history is also human. They have advisers and counselors also.

23. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Ok last question:

So do I just like call up the office and say "hi, I'd like to make an appointment with a psychiatrist?" How does the process go?

24. verdiocchi

verdiocchi Oh snap!

As far as I know it's that easy. Think about how you plan to pay for it first cause you need to make sure that whatever office you choose takes your insurance and that that type of appointment is covered, if you plan to use insurance. Otherwise yeah, I'd say just call and tell them you haven't seen anyone there before but you'd like to make an appointment. Normally they have you do a consultation first where you go in and meet the doc to make sure it seems like it will be a good fit. I suggest asking around for reputable docs rather than just choosing someone out of the phone book. Your regular doc should be able to refer you to someone they trust, or ask friends/family you trust.

25. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I haven't been to my regular doctor in years. I found someone on my health insurance's website.

I mean aren't they going to ask "why do you want to see a therapist?" I don't even think I have a good answer for that question.

And who determines if it's a psychologist or a psychiatrist? Psychiatrists can give you drugs so that'd be better, right?