MMA Is it bad to fight people if you know what your doing?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Tonster MBA, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Tonster MBA

Tonster MBA OT'r of the Year 2013 OT Supporter

Well I am freshmen at ASU, and am new to the whole drunk college fighting senerio. Last night these kids were driving by, yelled something, we yelled back. They slammed on the brakes, and get out. We had even numbers, they first guy talks to my friend and they are clearly drunk. SO in this case, I know, 100% i was going to win, and when the drunk guy got in my face. I just blew it off/ignored his aggressive attitude. What should i have done? I mean as soon as i saw his fist clinch i would of head butted him and beat the crap out of him and his friends.. It was a guaranteed win.. What to do.. OT help.

P.S i feel bed hurting people when i know i know what i am doing... anyone else feel the same?

2. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

In my opinion, there's no point in learning how to fight just so an angry drunk can kick your ass while you have an internal moral debate. On the other side of the coin, just because you train a little bit doesn't make you superman, and getting in fights with random people isn't the smartest thing you could do.

Most times, if you can't de-escalate the situation verbally, you either aren't the sharpest tool in the shed or you're looking for a fight, too.

3. acidix

acidix Ua mau, ke ea o ka `aina, i ka pono

Don't get into street fights. This really isn't a forum for getting drunk and getting into fights.

4. Tonster MBA

Tonster MBA OT'r of the Year 2013 OT Supporter

I wasn't drunk... that was the point.:ugh:

The dilemma I had was beating up some drunk kids, when we were all sober... And all my freinds were looking at me to do somthing, because i know what i am doing... to an extent

5. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

Stand up for yourself if someone is trying to harm you, other than that no reason to risk an assault charge.

6. acidix

Point is don't yell back...

7. jeffswain

jeffswain OT Supporter

/thread. you know who doesn't get into a fight and a possible legal situation? the guy who doesnt yell back

8. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

:werd:

it wasnt a hard situation to avoid.

and it shouldnt matter if you know how to fight or not, you have no idea what experience that other guy has, or what possible weapons. THAT is why yelling back at people or fighting on the street is nothing short of idiotic.

9. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Do you often get yeast infections?

10. tkluu

tkluu New Member

teach them a lesson and have someone record it and post it on OT

11. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

exactly. It doesn't sound like your friends would be much help had all of those guys jumped you. You might think you're the shit but that doesn't mean that the other dude doesn't know how to fight, too.

12. acidix

And remember, unless you know some crazy self defense.

First drunk dude to bring out a knife can nullify your sweet BJJ real fast.

13. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

Actually you should have went home and beat your friends asses for just looking at you to take care of the situation since you have the most training.

I'm also the most trained of my friends as well, but I'm also the smallest. I got big friends for a reason :hsugh:

14. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

hahaha, same here. I am the smallest of the group by a good 50 pounds, and the only one that is trained.

15. niners

niners OT Supporter

The only times I've actually had to act was when the other person pulled the first move; I've never had the mentality that "I can probably kick this guy's ass therefore I should." Self-defense to protect yourself and others around you is good to know, anything else you're just looking for trouble.

BTW floppycock where in Cupertino are you from? I used to go to MV 6 years ago and lived right by memorial park.

16. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

Across the street from De Anza College. I went to Homestead though.

17. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

friday night i was at a party and basically this dude who had been cool all night started being an asshole all of a sudden... so I got in his face and confronted him, clearly not looking for a fight but not sitting down like a bitch either. I taunted him some and he stood there controlled and extremely ready to fight.

I wasn't going to do shit though because he told me earlier in the night that he had been doing BJJ for years, and I suck major ass at grappling and haven't even trained for anything in months, I've just been focusing on weight lifting. Anyway, it didn't occur to me at the time, but I later on realize dhe was just looking for a fight because he was confident he could win. Either way, I'm glad I wasn't down to fight and that his buddy came and stopped it, because I probably would have got owned.

I just talked mad shit and left.

18. jeffswain

jeffswain OT Supporter

just remember, if you're a legal adult, you can get yourself into a giant legal mess no matter who started the fight or how it ended. it aint worth it. if at all possibe be the humble one and dont aggravate any situation no matter how much of a chump it might make you look. this is real life, not high school

19. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

Fight when you HAVE to... Otherwise, you are better off walking away... Street fighting is a good way to get killed (don't know if the guy or one of his friends is packing a gun/knife/etc), or in a LOT of trouble. I know one of my good friends beat the shit out of a guy in a bar fight, and the guy ended up dying, and my friend's ass ended up in prison...

20. k1d.

k1d. New Member

Yep, alot of the guys already pointed out Street Fighting is stupid...

I've been in the situation many times, and I've been lucky...

A lot of my friends go out drunk, and start shit.. but they always got something on them... but it doesn't always work out that way...

Last time they started shit, and pulled out a knife, other group of guys pulled out a gun and shot em.

I avoid the partying scene now... burnt it all up freshman year...
    lol

21. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver OT Supporter

I've got this old highschool friend back home that's been training for a couple years. He's had about three or four amateur fights around here too.

Anyway, I came home to Cleveland this past weekend and we all went out downtown. He was telling me how he can't really fight because he just had or is having surgery on his ear (cauliflower) and all night he was just trying to start fights left and right. Completely unprovoked, just picking random guys out and staring at them until they looked back and said something. About five times we had to take him outside to avoid a problem considering there were about two cops outside of every damn bar.

Point is, if you're trained and you've got the confidence, defend yourself by all means. But if you just start shit or instead of trying to defuse the situation you fuel it knowing you'd win, that's just fucking dumb.