Is it a good idea to get into computer sciences(CS) ?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kilamasta, Aug 19, 2006.

1. kilamasta

kilamasta New Member

Hi!

Don't ask me how, but I have the opportunity to register in CS at the nearest university.

I would like to have opinion from people who are already in CS or have done it, if it is worth it considering the job market, and that kind of stuff.

I would also love to hear any story about your CS classes and university :rofl:

By the way, I am not a total newbie at computer programming. I already know C, and know some markup languages ( XHTML, PHP).

2. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

Computers are being phased out in favor of a paper-based system called the papernet. Soon guys like me will be selling oranges by the freeway.

3. xaon

xaon New Member

:rofl: :bowrofl: :rofl: :bowrofl: :rofl: :bowrofl:

4. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

lawl

CS kicks ass...especially if you like programming. I know a lot of ppl think it's a waste of time and just learning a language is all you will ever need. IMO those are short sighted attitudes. There is a difference between building a career and having a job....the CS degree just offers soo many more options.

I'm entering my senior year in CS and I wouldn't trade it for anything. It's been one of the better decisions in my life. I'm just ready to get out and start making money.

Be prepared to work you ass off, afterall grades are everything and you'll spend a lot of time in math and physics courses so be sure to take even your Freshman level courses very seriously. By the time I hit Calc 3 I was sick of math...but I'd worked hard early in the math line of courses so it was much easier for me then some of my classmates.

Contact your local University, perhaps the head of the CS department and see if they can meet with you to discuss the degree program. This will not only get you introduced to the head of the dept. but also get you an inside look at what to expect.

5. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

Yeah the degree by itself won't get you far at all. You need experience and good grades.

6. kilamasta

kilamasta New Member

Oh ya where I live, everyone who's going to get into sciences at a University have got to make all of those math( calculus, linear algebra), physics, chemistry and biology classes prior to enter the CS or any other field :big grin: So it is already done :). Only programming courses hehe.

And yes I will probably enter CS :big grin:.

7. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Then study your ass off. Good grades are more then just an outward sign of your committment to the task at hand. To get stellar grades (straight As) it takes hard work, sacrifice, persistence, and much more. It's easy to be motivated in the first week or month of school. The challenges come in the 2nd half of the semester. IMO getting good grades is more of competition within oursleves then it is with the other students. But they really are very, very important.