GUN Is it a Bad idea to tell roomates you have guns in the house

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Telecast, May 12, 2006.

1. Telecast

Telecast OT Supporter

Im moving into a house in long beach with my best friends, known them for years, and they are more like brothers than friends..... I told them that when we move into the house i would be bringing my guns..

Anyway, i was discussing a new gun purchase with my dad, and he said "you can never tell ANYONE you own guns".... i then told him i just told my friends that i was going to be bringing my guns into our new home, and my dad threw a shit storm.....

Is he fucking crazy like i think, or did i make a big mistake by telling my friends?

2. CString

CString New Member

your dad is crazy, but it is CA, so everybody is crazy.

3. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Telling them you have guns is one thing, telling them where they are is another. Keep them out of sight. I have a couple really good friends I wouldn't trust around my guns.

4. Keesh

Keesh New Member

:werd:

Just keep them in a safe place, locked up even if you think they might go looking for them.

5. Telecast

Telecast OT Supporter

im positive they wouldnt fuck around with my guns....100% sure.... My dad was telling me how they would accidentally tell someone i have them, and that they would tell someone and i would eventually get robbed...

before he stormed out to go get some coffee he said

"How do you think there are so many guns out on the streets? Because people steal them, thats how... How do you think they know where to find them? Because people tell other people."

6. mvizos

mvizos New Member

I'd say it depends on the friends. My closest friends:
    Know I have guns;
    Know where my guns are;
    Know where the keys to access them are.

For the most part, something needs to have happened to me for them to get access to my home in order to do something with that knowledge. These same people also have guns of their own, and the situation works in reverse. I know they have them, know where they are, know how to access them.

Meanwhile, the people I work with know I have guns, and thats about it. No idea (for the most part) if they are rifles / shotguns / handguns, where I keep them, when I shoot them, why I have them. They have no need for that information. Ditto goes for some friends / acquaintances I have.

Also:
    Better not let anyone see you driving a car. Then they'll know you have a car, and BAM...it's gonna get stolen. Keep that car in the garage at all times, preferably under a car cover, to be safe. :run:

7. Accord

Accord New Member

Makes sense.

I don't see any problem is telling close friends you've known for years though, but I also wouldn't go around advertising that I own guns... but I guess my NRA life member sticker and my Sig and Bushmaster shirts I always wear kind of defeats the purpose :mamoru:

8. mvizos

mvizos New Member

:werd: Thats like the people that drive around with the NRA license plates (here in VA) and cover the back of their black suburban/pickup with various gun stickers. Thats asking to have a problem. As for telling close friends, it's a non-issue to me.

9. Telecast

Telecast OT Supporter

Ive been friends with these guys for about 5-6 years... My truly best friends, we do everything together, and have decided to move into a house together.. i even told them "Dont tell anybody that i own guns, dont ever let it slip either"

I even plan on taking my friends to the range.... so that they are knowledgable on how to shoot a gun, which i think everyone should know how... They are real responsible guys...My dad is just being a prick, but i wanted him to buy me a sig 226DAK for my bday in a couple days, and this might have fucked it up.

10. Nouia

Nouia New Member

Personally, I would definitely avoid telling my roommates. But that's just because my roommates have mostly been random folks that I don't know that well and am not friends with outside of the living arrangement. But I really don't think its a big deal that you did tell them, especially since you've known these guys for so long. Just lock up your ammo. :o

11. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

What good can come from telling them? Would you tell them that you're going to be leaving a big fat wad of cash in the closet?

12. Telecast

Telecast OT Supporter

The thing is, i could tell them i had a breifcase full of hundies in the closet, and when i got back it would still be there....

What benefit? They are my friends, and id like to share an interest hobby of mine with them... If im not there, and if they are in danger, i want them to be able to use my guns in self defense...

13. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

Not many people know that I have guns in real life. Mainly just my dealer and my boss, and my family. I'd rather my friends not know that I own em.

14. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I don't like some of my friends knowing I have them. They begm e to take them out but the one time I did my friend kept sweeping me with his finger on the trigger. That was the last time I took a friend who's never shot out before :hs:

15. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

My friend used to have a roomate, his roommate got short on cash and wernt and pawned on of his guns

16. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

Anyone who purposely robs someone with the knowledge that they definitely have guns is begging for a Darwin award.

17. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

You're opening yourself up for a whole hell of a lot of trouble there...

18. mrbill

mrbill New Member

if you can trust them, and only you can make that decision, i don't see the harm. all my friends know i have guns, and know where they are. but i've known them, with a few exceptions, for almost 20 years. luckily, most of them are into guns too(just not as passionate as i am) and occaisionally we'll hunt or hit the range together.

19. Telecast

Telecast OT Supporter

true....thats not such a good idea...

My stance about guns is like my father taught me... At a young age he showed me his guns, how they worked, how to shoot one, and how never to play with them.....

I grew up much more responsible when dealing with guns.

20. Telecast

Telecast OT Supporter

what makes a best friend a best friend is the secrets they know about you.... The ability to tell them things in confidence, and know, absolutely without a doubt, they will never repeat anything you tell them....

My friends have also shown interest in shooting, and buying guns.. I think once i take them to the range they'd be hooked

21. no7fish

no7fish New Member

It depends on the people. I have previously felt an obligation to tell the people I live with that there are guns in the house (most of them knew me enough before hand that it was no surprise...) but certainly not where they were. It was as much for me to know where they stand on the issue as to set my conscience at ease. For some reason I felt they deserved to know as they live in the house too.

On the other hand, when I moved into the house I live in now, I moved in with a guy that owned the house and I checked to make sure it was cool before I moved in. He was fine with it, but now we have a third living there. I don't know her and for that reason I don't feel the obligation to tell her. Not necessarily that I don't trust her but I have a friend whose gun was stolen by a psycho girl he was living with (well, her BF actually) and he never saw it or them again.

I am def picky about who I tell but I think if it is someone you really trust then it should be no question. On the other hand, I understand where your dad is coming from and he is entitled to his opinion. Keep in mind though, he does not know your friends like you do, they are your friends, not his. You can't expect him to trust them the way that you do, but he also can expect you to treat your friends the way he treats them....

22. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

One of my best friends, my dad, my mom and my brother all know that I own guns. My friend helped me install my safe so he obviously knows about them. My family is at my house a lot so they see them. The only person that I'm worried about talking is my brother's wife. She likes to talk. She's also very anti-gun. Considering that her side of the family is a bunch of white trash cons I've made it perfectly clear to her that she's not to tell anyone about them. She's also got the impression that I won't hesitate to blow the head off of anyone that sets foot in my house uninvited. She's a very smart girl who's actually the complete opposite of the rest of her family (studying to be a lawyer) but she still talks to them so I don't trust her 100%. Noone else even knows where I live so it's no biggie. My neighbors don't even know that I have guns in the house. I do plan on bringing the topic up in coversation with some of them eventually, though.

23. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

dawt.

My cousin and I have a place together... between the two of us... well... I really.. REALLY just hope no one ever breaks into our house... They wont stand a chance.

24. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

So why didn't you educate this person? Everytime I take someone to the range I've never shot with, I watch them. I usually end up spending more time instructing than shooting... I usually go over basic safety rules before even stepping out onto the range...

25. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Thats fantastic, you can take them out shooting with you. They don't need to be shown where you keep the guns or know what you have anymore than they would need to know that you had a ton of cash and where you kept it. You would probably be fine, but why tempt fate?