is height genetic or due to nutrition?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by limited_skillz, Oct 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. limited_skillz

limited_skillz I'm a dumbass!

i was kind of depressed the past few weeks about my shortness, especially since i placed the blame on my lack of sleep throughout the years and malnutrition since i realized that i underate compared to everyone else, plus everyone else seems so tall these days, and this was ruining my self-esteem

i finally came to terms with it over time, but i was still mad at myself for not taking care of myself, because i may have been 5'10"

then i realized that i should compare myself to brothers, my younger one is growing to be taller than me, hes already 5'5", and he ate less than me when i was his age, and he has the worse sleeping pattern for a 12 year old, goes to bed at like 1 and wakes up at 7 (lies to my parents about sleeping)

my older brother slept for along time every day when he was in his teens, like at least 10 hours of sleep a day, which was crazy, and he ate alot of food as well, like maybe 2x the amount of me.. but hes 5'4" and fat

i'm 5'7.5" ish, and as i said before, i systemically deprived myself of sleep from 13-17 (which i am now), and i ate 3x a day, but i realize my proportions were like 25% less than everyone else, because i always got filled up easily, and i'm really skinny as well because of it

all of this doesn't make sense at all, my dad is 5'7", i guess with my lack of sleeping/eating, i should be this height.. but my older brother should be alot taller than he is if it's due to nutrition/sleep, and my younger brother really shouldn't be growing as much as he is right now .. genetics nor nutrition make sense in this situation

2. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

That is the dumbest fucking question I have ever heard. I feel like shooting myself after reading all that

3. Grouch

Grouch Guest

this is stupid.

Height is vastly genetic. Nutrition would only play a role in the most malnourished 3rd world like conditions. Which I am sure you do never experienced

4. limited_skillz

nutrition plays a huge part i know, back in the 1700s, people were on average like in the low 5 ft's, but due to income equality and better nutrition, guys are like 5'10" now

but i don't understand why people say its genetic then, if nutrition can play such a huge role in it, the question i had was not inane, because i gave the example of my brothers

5. limited_skillz

"this is stupid.

Height is vastly genetic. Nutrition would only play a role in the most malnourished 3rd world like conditions. Which I am sure you do never experienced"

explain the increase in average height in the past few decades

6. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

It's all about nutrition. You fucked yourself. You will be short for the rest of your life. Get use to it.

Is that what you want to hear? :hsugh:

7. Grouch

Grouch Guest

past few decades? :ugh: more like centuries.

Face it, you're short because you got the shit end of the gene pool.

In fact your first post is shit. You are crying about being 5-7ish and being malnutrished, when you're taller than your dad and older brother.

8. limited_skillz

its gone up 2 inches in canada over the past 30 years

and if you've been to a high school recently, you'll find that it's probably more than that

"In fact your first post is shit. You are crying about being 5-7ish and being malnutrished, when you're taller than your dad and older brother."

well 5'8" with shoes on, but it still doesn't matter, because girls want 5'10" minimum

9. Grouch

Grouch Guest

well that fucking sucks for you doesn't it.

10. limited_skillz

i've gone past the being too short phase, but damit tell me what is the reason

it's definately not only genetic, but there's exceptions in nutrition or something? i just want a damn answer

11. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

12. Grouch

Grouch Guest

for you it is genetic. your shitty diet had nothing to do with it. you weren't a fucking child laborer working in coal mines.

13. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

did you read the replies/ your post before you posted it???

14. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

:werd: I wish I could feel his pain, but being almost 6'5", I dont know what it's like down there

15. scholar

scholar New Member

Height is 90% genetic, 10% nutrition. Or so I read somewhere.

16. limited_skillz

people these days are alot taller than their parents, most guys i know are like 6ft + tall and their dads are 5'10" or less

i don't know where i'm going with this, but it just doesn't seem to me that nutrition makes more sense than genetics

it has to be some sort of other outside factor, i spent 8 years of my life in 3rd world country where most guys are 5'6", and then i moved to us/canada where i hardly ate any processed/fast food (but still more than my older brother), and my younger brother is so westernized that he eats only fast food, i think that's the only difference in our eating patterns

i really don't have much knowledge on genetics though, if it were based on genetics only, why is there a high differentiation b/w all my brothers and I?

17. Grouch

Grouch Guest

It is clear english is not your first language. I few inches between family members is not a lot :slap: do you expect every member to have the exact came hair color too? Start reading replys and stop being retarded.

18. limited_skillz

i am reading the replies, and they're just telling me that genetics is the only reason that i'm my height

and btw english is my first language, and i'm the best writer in my school .. its just that this is my way of typing on the internet and its 3 am

it's not that i don't want to come to terms with it, because it being genetic leaves me alot more happier with myself, but i guess i'm just worried that i didn't reach my genetic potential and i didn't even waste it on having a social life, i freaking posted on message boards and didn't sleep, and sometimes i was just being too depressed to eat much because of not having a social life

and now that i'm all past stupid teen things like that, i really regret it

i really doubt that 5'7" is my genetic potential, all those asian guys that have come over from hong kong have parents that are like 5'4", and now they're like 5'9" on average where i live, and the girls are 5'5" ish which is pretty high.. i guess i'm pretty worried for my older brother though, i mean he ate so much, and it went horizontally instead of vertically :( ..

and i don't want my kids to be short, but only girls that are attracted to me are short ones, like 5'0 - 5'2", and those are the only ones that attract me as well .. it's just going to be this continous cycle

19. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

I'm 19 and 5"4. You think your short? You'll get over it, just be happy you were born with arms and legs.

20. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

Not everyone is taller than their dad, I'm 3" shorter than he is and I'm happy being at 6'.

Not all girls look to height either, stop being stupid.

21. Bruised Lee

Bruised Lee John Kune Do, puncher of faces

holy shit, you got some issues.

22. ralyks

ralyks New Member

I do agree with you when you say nutrition plays a role in growth. Getting adequate minerals/calcium/protein will optimize your growth as a child, all I have to do is compare the city kids to the kids who grew up on a farm in my area. Any decent diet will bring you to your genetic potential.

It's mostly genetic though, and you need to just accept it. You have a slight disadvantage to getting girls over taller guys, this is easily negated by a good attitude and physically taking care of yourself. Your height is a garbage excuse.

23. Katsumoto

Katsumoto New Member

Werd, my dad was 6'2", I'm only like 5' 10". And probably done being 22 yo now.

24. dirtysouthboy

dirtysouthboy New Member

My mom is 5'1" and my dad is 5'6". When i was a young baby boy i knew that i didn't want to be a little shrimp my whole life so i made sure that i got a lot of my moms brest milk. And through out my childhood I made sure that i always ate good and I ate protein powder, creatine, N02 and vitamins. Guess what happened--- I grew up to be a big boy and all of the girls like me. Now i'm 6'2" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every girl likes me and think thats i'm a giant.

Genetics have very little to do with your height! Its mainly all about your diet and NO2 consumption.

The conculstion is that you got the shaft and due to your poor diet and shitty eating habits, you are a short ugly boy and nobody likes you.

25. uf20wop

uf20wop OT Supporter

hahahaha holy shit kid, you are the biggest dick mitten i've ever seen

the reason you cant pull girls is because you fucking suck at life

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.