Is Hacking the Iphone?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by rsxratedr, Nov 13, 2007.

1. rsxratedr

rsxratedr New Member

Is it like worth it? Safe? like it wont wreck the system? I just got an iphone not to long ago and wondering if it would work fine, like installing apps on it. Im not sure if this is clear, but please help me out. Thank you:x::bowdown:

2. _Trev_

_Trev_ Ya gotta pay the troll toll... OT Supporter

3. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

yes, its pretty safe. just restore before any updates (if you even bother updating it) & dont try removing the simlock unless you need / are ready for it.

4. MaK10

MaK10 OT Supporter

i did it to my brothers iphone the day the released the free unlocking software (just a bunch of terminal commands since the GUI wasnt released yet) and he's never had any problems, loaded all sorts of programs on it, etc. Just never updated to 1.1.1 or the new1.1.2, no reason to

5. OakleyTodd

OakleyTodd New Member

If you have a phone activated and working through AT&T, adding 3rd party apps is fine, it is done by a meathod called jailbreaking. You are not modifying any of the hardware settings like unlocking does. The one thing about adding apps is, you really have to follow along with the game to know when and how to update. Like Mak10 said, there really hasnt been a great reason to update from 1.0.2. By far, the easiest firmware to jailbreak so far has been 1.1.1 All you had to do was visit a website on the phone, and it did its thing completely automatic.

Having 3rd party apps is the only reason I havent sold the phone, and gone back to a phone that allows it without problem. You should definately find a forum to join or at least lurk to keep up with how to do it. Each Apple update seems to target the apps, so you have to know when its ok to update. For instance, the newest firmware 1.1.2 was officially released last friday. The hack to add apps was actually released the night before.

So best advice is to join a forum, I go to macrumors.com which is pretty active. Only down side is you have to fight your way through all the Apple loving garbage spewed by the fanboys and iSheep on the site.

6. rsxratedr

rsxratedr New Member

well thanks for the help I'll get back at this when I get home and yea I would like a buddy that has a hacked iPhone so if I have any questions I can ask u guys right away

7. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

So, I could drive to an Apple store in Buffalo, pick up an iPhone, bring it home load the 1.1.1 firmware on it and Jailbreak it no problem?

8. rsxratedr

rsxratedr New Member

well from wat there saying its kool so I still want more feedback I'm scared about it

9. MaK10

MaK10 OT Supporter

be careful though, not sure which firmware they are shipping the phones with now... you could open the box and it could already have 1.1.2 loaded on it. But i believe there are ways to downgrade the firmware, but im not 100% sure.

10. rsxratedr

rsxratedr New Member

Well i have 1.1.1 firmware. Firmware means that type of update i have on the phone correct? Hacking voids your warranty, but does that mean iphones warranty? Not the At&t monthy insurance thing right?

11. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

I think there are ways to downgrade, and I'm sure that by the time I'm ready to get one, they'll either be out on Rogers here or they'll be up a few more firmware revisions

12. TALLandNcharge

TALLandNcharge New Member

If you are paying for insurance every month through AT&T, then you are wasting your money. AT&T does not offer insurance for the iPhone. If you were to drop your phone and call to get it replaced, they would say too bad... insurance does not cover this phone. Your paying 3.99 a month for nothing.