SRS Is group therapy beneficial?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by KingNothing, Feb 4, 2005.

1. KingNothing

KingNothing New Member

I've been depressed for a while now and I finally decided to talk to someone about it -- a school counselor. She wants me to go to group sessions for it, but honestly that sounds like a bunch of bullshit and just a way for psychologists to cut costs and give each individual less time. Any opinions?

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

I believe in a key lock principle, namely to open the door of your problems the right approuch or key is needed. There's only one specific key which unlocks the door to the problems concerning your mind, and therefore i cannot see how group therapy giving a 'general' approuch is able to deal with your problems specifically. I also dislike the idea that they put you into a group of (which they could define as) 'crazy people' is going to make you help getting any stronger. I would go for treatment that specializes on YOU.

3. Laserbeak

Laserbeak Remember kids! Be like Billy! BEHAVE YOURSELVES!

Nothing beats a one-on-one session. Group therapy of any kind is never any good; too many differing viewpoints and experiences for it to be beneficial IMO.

4. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I don't think she'd recommend it if she didn't think it would be helpful. Give it a try. If you like it, great. If not, then get an individual appointment with her, or your own counselor.

5. tofoo

tofoo New Member

A group therapy would not work as well as a one-on-one session. This is mostly because you end up relying on the group and not yourself.

I think the best way to get out of depression is to cultivate yourself. Read a lot of books on the nature of self. Listen to your unhappy thoughts without judgment. I would like to suggest the book "The Power of Now." Reading that book has helped me tremendously through my depression.

Also start a meditation regime if you are not doing so already.

6. Group therapy is very useful for many forms of depression as long as the individual goes with the mentality of simply listening carefully to what others are saying rather than going there to prove a point or to combat opposing viewpoints.

It's important to share too, but listening is often the most powerful component of group therapy.