Is getting car painted this time of year bad?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by SoySauciAl, Oct 6, 2006.

1. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

I heard somewhere that getting your car painted when its the cold season is bad because the paint doesnt cure/dry right and its always better to paint it at summer.. is this true?

2. seismic

seismic New Member

Only if you're doing it yourself.

If you're getting it done by a professional, they have all that stuff taken care of.

3. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

There are a lot of shops that just spray inside a warehouse like garage.. no baking or heating.

4. seismic

seismic New Member

For different temperatures, they just mix the paint differently to compensate. It won't make a difference.

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

If you have a competent shop do the work, no problems.

6. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Typically speaking, i would say now, its probibly not that big of deal to get it done in the colder months.

However, i would be weary of having it done if you live in a climate where it rains. If it rains and you dont imidiately dry the car off, the water may etch the soft, partially cured clear coat.

THis happened to my neighbors car, and it took a LONG time to polish them out.

That would be my only conscern. But if the shop sticks the car under UV lights for a couple of days, and you have a covered place to store the car overnight, idaly a finished garage. You will be fine.

7. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

thanks for the help guys.

8. Jewfro

Jewfro New Member

Someone told me that it's best when it is overcast out or actually rainy. I guess the moisture content greatly reduces air particle contents or something. Can anybody verify this?

9. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

im thinking of having it painted and buffing it out myself to save a few dollars.. a good idea? i only have a pc.. you think something like 3m perfect it II/medium pad then optimum polish/light or finishing pad will give it a good shine? how long should i wait till buffing it out and how long should i keep the car away from rain after paint?

10. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

don't bother. only wet sanding and a high speed rotary buffer will flatten runs/orange peel/fish eyes.