Is cleansing bullshit?? v.isagenix

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Ribbie, Sep 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ribbie

Ribbie OT Supporter

My good friend plays university football and two dt's on his team have recently taken this 9 day cleanse product called isagenix It's basically a 3 day shake/pill meal replacement followed by 3 days of clean eating followed by more shakes and pills (it's essentially a 9 day colonic).

It's helped these two guys shed some serious poundage, especially in their face and mid section. Normally I dont buy into diet fads but he's shown me the before and afters and I think the product could definitely help me work towards my goals.

I'm 6'1" 205, previously 6'1" 240. I've gotten here with a semi lax diet (just complex carb + protein no portioning), whey/glutamine, and regulare exercise (hour and a half lifting, 30 min cardio). I still have some face fat, and I still have my gut although it's been drastically cut. I dont have accurate BF% but I'd estimate it to be ~ 18-20% maybe a bit higher.

The only thing stopping me is that a program like this goes against everything I've read about my metabolism and theoretically should be very detrimental to my body. If anyone has any info or experiences on the 9 day isagenix program please post up.

2. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

I haven't had experience but I can tell you that the main benefit of those programs is that they require very little thought or self-control.

Just do what the program says. Just eat/drink the premade things that it gives you. And it probably will work.. although I'd guess you're paying quite a bit for the privilege.

You seem to be on the right track and if you've been reading about nutrition and metabolism, you know the right things to do. You would know that most fast fix diets make you lose a lot of water weight quickly. Low carb deplenished glycogen. Each glycogen molecule carries 3 (or 4.. can't remember) water molecules with it. So although you might lose quite a bit of weight (especially in the face where you see a lot of water weight), as soon as you start eating normally, glycogen replenishes and most of the weight comes back on.

My suggestion would be to ditch the "semi lax diet" and do it PROPERLY.

Start to count calories, or at least esimate them on www.ftday.com

Step up the cardio a notch and maybe consider dropping carbs too.

Also, what is your weight lifting routine? 1.5hrs of lifting sounds too much which suggests that your intensity isn't that high. 45 minutes of busting your ass is MUCH better than 1.5hrs of "meh".

If you need a routine, check out the sticky by "NoQuarter" at the top of this forum.

3. Ribbie

Ribbie OT Supporter

good post.

To be honest, I'm lazy and horrible at micro management so that's why I dont think a fit day journal would work for me. I just try to eat natural whole foods, avpod refined sugar, avoid bread whenever possible, and eat complex carbs and a good portion of protein each meal. Oh and drink as much water as I can stand.

1.5 hours typically includes a 15 minute warm up, pre/post stretching, and two muscle groups.

So for today, I'm going to be doing chest / triceps:

Chest = flat, dec, inc, flys, and chest press.
    Triceps = one armed cable pull downs, skull crushers, rope pulldown, and dips.

I try to rest no longer than 20-30 seconds between sets when I'm working out solo, but it sometimes gets to be a little longer if I'm with a friend.

I knew this would turn back into me being lazy with dieting. The biggest thing is that it's not hard to eat right, but I find it's too much bullshit to be writing EVERY thing down all the time. I have enough of a time eating at the proper times and drinking enough water. :rofl:

4. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

Yeah, that's fair enough but if you set yourself in a routine and PLAN things, it's actually VERY easy.

Make meals in advance. Cook a huge portion of mince with chopped tomatos and onions. Divide it into plastic containers and freeze. Simple. Cook 4-5 chicken breasts at once and put them in the fridge.. they'll keep for about a week. You can then easily turn them into sandwiches, fajitas or whatever you want. As for breakfast.. a bowl of porridge and a few eggs.. takes 5 minutes in the microwave.

There you go - I sorted out almost a weeks worth of food right there in about 1hr of preparation time.

The beauty of writing things down is accountability.. plus, people are generally HORRIBLE at estimating how much they eat. People swear they eat under 2000 calories and often find they're eating over 3000. Same for skinny guys who say "I eat loads but can't gain weight" but it turns out they aren't actually eating much at all. I almost guarantee that your estimates about what you are eating will be WAY off.

After a while, you won't have to write things down because you know what you're eating. You get a better sense of what is working or not working. But in the beginning stage, writing things down really helps. The micromanaging might be annoying but it WORKS.. and it's better than just blundering forwards and in a years time wondering why your progress sucks.

On fitday make custom foods. It's actually very easy and filling in a fitday takes 5 minutes a day max. At the moment you're guessing. You have the right ideas about food choices, but it's all down to portion size and dedication.

5. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo New Member

So they stopped eating real food for a couple of days and lost weight? No wai.

6. chapel

chapel New Member

I tried an herbal cleanse once. it was like two weeks of this powder and apple juice. My wife and I did it.

the doodies were legendary. I took a photo of the best one. I got it somewhere.

It looked like someone took all the fat from my intestines, put them in sausage casing and then laid out a 4' log in carefully in the toilet.

ropey

here's what we used
    warning: poop
    http://www.blessedherbs.com/bh/node/1878

7. energie

energie I like to place an order.. the name? Situation the

the cleanse makes you shit alot and exactly what chapel said

8. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

psyllium husk powder does that

Add a teaspoon to a glass, add water and leave 10 minutes. Then you have a firm jelly-like substance in the glass.. it's crazy.

It's pretty good if you need to get things moving in your bowels but a diet based on it... hell naw

9. End

End You've got that shotgun shine

i thought it fucks up with the bacteria inside your body or something

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.