Is buying a used G4 Powerbook worth it?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by fudgetracks, Apr 9, 2007.

1. fudgetracks

fudgetracks Tell Sanchito that if he knows what is good for hi

My current computer is slowly coming to its end and I would really like to buy a Mac to replace it with. As much as I would like a MBP, I just can't afford it. What I'm looking for is something that will last me at least 2, maybe 3 more years, until I can finish school. I'll mostly be using it for school work, surfing the net, and some minor PS usage. For a 15", ~1.5ghz, 1GB Ram, and ~80GB HD G4 Powerbook, they seem to be going for around $800-$1k. Should I just save my money and look elsewhere, or would a Powerbook serve me well enough for the time being?

Thanks

2. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

with that monies just get a macbook?

3. fudgetracks

I was until my friends' macbook screens seemed to crack randomly. It seems like a common problem and a design flaw. So I've become very hesitant in going that direction, otherwise, I'd probably save a bit more and go for that.

4. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i've never heard of the screens cracking. i'm pretty tough on mine, i hope that never happens, i do have applecare though

5. fudgetracks

How long have you had yours? Do you carry yours with you a lot?
    Apparently, it's not covered under Apple Care, which is what bothers me. If I remember correctly, it's about an $800 repair.
    Secondly, people are noticing hairline cracks along the sides of the macbook where the palm rests are located.
    I don't know maybe I am misinformed.

Anyone have any input on a Powerbook? :x:

I hate being a Mac noob.:o

6. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

get the macbook, the screen isn't going to crack :rolleyes:

7. clog

clog NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!!11

don't get a macbook, for the love of god. Unless you really don't mind having a laptop who is built like pure dog shit.

That powerbook will last you 2-3 years no prob.

8. fudgetracks

I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not, but I'm just going off what I've been reading on the apple discussion forum. And from what I gathered, there is an inherent design flaw with the shell leading to the aformentioned problems. Everything else seems perfect to me but that "minor" detail, I'm just trying to save myself the headache in the future when something arises.
    I don't know how reliable the people are on there so I thought I'd ask here as I haven't been let down here when it comes to getting answers.

To clarify, this is a problem specific to the MacBook and not the MacBook Pro.

Thanks for the help I guess.

9. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

I'd say no, get an intel.

I have a g4 and can't wait to upgrade.
    I feel so left behind. :o

10. itwasntme

itwasntme New Member

The Powerbook does not have all these niggling little flaws the MPB's have and are a solid and proven design. For a dependable laptop your money can go on the Powerbook and rest easy that you will likely never have an issue.

I was within a week of setting my 17" PB in the closet and bucking up the dollars for an MPB and my aunts 3 month old MPB completely shit out on her. Conflicts, battery died, screen problems. Problems I have seen before all over these forums.

Hell with it, my PB is old faithful and has never failed me EVER. Not one conflict EVER, battery is 3 yrs old and the original one, still charges to 99% and holds for hours on a 17" model.

11. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

don't get it, it's already 3 generations of processors behind, and with 10.5 coming out soon, you'll be even more behind.
    just spend the same amount of money that you'll pay for a powerbook and get a macbook. my roommate has had her's for close to a year now and there are no cracks, the screen is fine. only issue with hers is the discoloration on the palm area, but that was because she got her's when it first came out.
    I have a newer macbook at work (bought in january), and that thing takes a beating, and there is nothing wrong with it at all, no cracks, no discolor, no screen issues, nothing. and it travels alot.

what's the point in spending $1000 for something 3 years old when you can pay the same amount and get something brand new. that logic doesn't really make sense.

12. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

don't get it. My macbook C1D feels 10000x faster than my 1.33G4 did. It's amazing how slow those G4's were now that I'm on intel.

13. MUDFISH

MUDFISH New Member

I don't know about the powerbook, but I love my macbook... I throw it in my bag to work every day, and I have never had a problem with cracking at all...

I'm assuming that all the people that are happy keep quiet, and the people with problems speak up... thats the case most of the time...

14. Euclid

Euclid New Member

:werd: pretty much.

If you do get a powerbook G4, make sure it is the very latest model with the ports on the side (not on the back). You'll more likely have hinge problems with the older powerbooks than you would have problems with the macbook.

15. clog

I was not being sarcastic, I owned a MB and I fucking hated it. It was a very solid notebook for hte first few weeks of use, but the plastic is just shit.

16. fudgetracks

I guess, I was just expecting more people to chime in on how they haven't had any problems. In the threads regarding the complaints, its as if no one tries to dispute it, making it seem like a large # of people have the issue.

I'm used to the "Mine is perfectly fine" followed by everyone qouting and throwing in a period.

My only gripe is with the plastic, I've never been too crazy about it. I always felt like the plastic (or polycarbonate or whatever the fuck the use) was inadequate for something like a notebook.

decisions...decisions

I appreciate all the help though guys. :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

17. micks

micks the snausage wallet OT Supporter

I have a powerbook G4, the last generation before the macbooks came out. had it since august '05, no problems.. dropped it a lot and threw it around, still running like new but with a dent there and here. i'm keeping this until it croaks. my older powerbook G3 lasted me 5 years.

18. clog

just save up and get a MBP, refurb if you have to.

19. fudgetracks

I thought about that. Too bad I missed on the last batch of refurbed MBPs, supposedly they were being sold with a hell of a discount.

20. Jacen2141

Jacen2141 New Member

damn right they were....They were gone that afternoon. The apple refurb site and www.macofalltrades.com you really have to stay on top of it you want a good deal.

21. fudgetracks

Thats a nice link. Thanks:cool:

22. skolen

skolen Guest

I have a 12" 800mhz G4 iBook w/512ram. It runs surprisingly well considering it's got 10.4.9 on it and a dying HD.

If I were you I'd find a top of the line iBook G4 for a few hundred less.

23. itchypony

itchypony New Member

I'm on a 15" Titanium PB G4 867mhz with a 1X Superdrive, 60GB HD & only 256MB RAM -- I believe it's going on 5 years old, but it does everything I need it to do (slowly) for now. I have a 40" Sony XBR LCD, so my next mac is going to be an 8-core Mac Pro desktop. I'll keep the PB for web surfing at the breakfast table.

24. Jacen2141

Jacen2141 New Member

I assume you're referring to the Sony LCD because you plan to use it as a monitor for the Mac Pro? That tv's resolution won't hold a candle to the capabilities of the video card that will come with the Pro. It might be a little disappointing. :hs:

25. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

dot.

you can't get a sexy beast of a tower then run it on a fisher-price resolution :o