Is brand new "standard" bike OK for a first time rider?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by ninor, May 15, 2009.

1. ninor

ninor OT Supporter

Hello guys! I am considering buying a new Triumph Street Triple as my first bike. I want to get that bike right a way so I don't have to worry about buying and then selling a beater bike after 5-6 months. However, like people always say... "get a beater bike as you WILL drop it". I want to know how many of you actually laid your first bike down within 4-5 months of driving it and was it because of your error or something that was completely uncontrolable? How much experience did you get driving around in the parknig lots and did you take MSF? Also, was that maybe a super sport bike that you dropped because it was a wild bike?

Please let me know... and if I get flamed in this thread for getting a brand new $8,600 bike as a first bike... I'll go with used SV650S route and here are 3 that I found on craiglist (please let me know which one you think is the best).

2001 7000miles $ 2,600.00 http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/1169023961.html
    2004 3000miles $ 3,995.00 http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/1126929782.html
    2006 3215miles $ 4,000.00 http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/1169580106.html

2. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

A Street Triple has pretty much the same power as a modern 600 - so while it's a standard, it's not much tamer than a sportbike. Same is true of the brakes.

As for the SV, why were you thinking of an S instead of a naked? Also, the tail on the 3rd one looks a bit twisted to me. Could just be the picture though. Be aware that sticky tires don't last long at all on bikes - 5k at best - and that it's around $300 for a set. They all look to be pretty decent deals though, at least compared to CA prices.

3. ninor

ninor OT Supporter

Thank you for the explanation of the Street Triple compared to sport bikes! I was just looking at different SV650s and I saw few naked ones as well... which I'll probably post here later, but it just happened that I was on the search with the ones that have fairings.

4. CantDrv55

CantDrv55 New Member

My first bike was an R6. I've been riding for 9 years now and the only time I went down was on my 2nd bike due to some gravel on the dragon right after they repaved it. Nothing wrong with starting on a new bike or a 600, it just depends on the person.

5. deviant

deviant rest your trigger on my finger

well, if you get a nice bike at least get some frame sliders if it doesn't already have some on it.

6. modspace

modspace New Member

i dropped my bike after two months of owning it.
    thought the kickstand was down, silly mistake.

7. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

I rode my 200cc scooter for a few years without dropping it, but when I got my "real" bike (1984 Honda Magna V65, an 1100cc V4), I went down on the first ride, just gave it too much throttle taking a right off of a stop sign, and the back end came around. Totally my mistake, but it is very common to drop a bike at some point early in your learning curve due to a mistake.

8. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

a Street Triple isn't really a friendly beginner bike and i'd hate to see that bike dropped more than a supersport bike... those are rare bikes, parts are going to be a bitch if you do drop it... not to mention costly...

i've been riding for a year now (started last may), and i haven't laid it down yet 7000+ miles and going, a ton of close calls, but still rubber side down...
    i will say that if it wasn't for msf, i would've laid the bike down a long long time ago...

i'd go with an SV definatelly over the street triple as a first bike... new or used is up to you...

9. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

haven't dropped a bike in over 17 years of riding.

have had some close calls of course but (knock on wood) have been fortunate so far.

10. Matt550

Matt550 New Member

I bought a brand new 600 as a first bike. Had some close calls with loose gravel, kickstand not fully extended, but no drop yet, :knocksonwood:

11. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

You will go down, eventually. Hopefully it will not be anything serious.

12. swedishstar

swedishstar Active Member

I just layed my FZ-1 down in a culdisac. I was doing circles ~25/30 mph in it feeling out the tires potential. I had the back tire maxed out lean angle wise and it broke loose. Not too much damage. I was able to repaint the scratches and fill them in. Can't tell now. I have never dropped a bike though, like standing still or in the garage.

It really does swing both ways. I'm not sure how methodical you are, etc. I ride my bikes hard, but am very methodical. If I have a boo-boo, it's going to be because I pushed the bike past the limit (in this case, the tires).

Personally, I don't advise getting a new bike. Find a clean older bike in great shape. If you have a mishap, you can just fix it. Not a big deal.

Just when you get comfortable and feel like you are much more smooth/better rider, a screw up is going to kick you right in the ass.

A naked SV really is just the perfect beginner bike, if you're not totally inept. It's quick enough to be fun, but not scary. It looks nice and it's cheap. Great bike to keep if you ever get a nicer bike. Makes a great track bike.

13. swedishstar

swedishstar Active Member

:werd:

My knee got scraped up a little and it ate through my jeans in the above story. Riding gear is really important. Pants included. Jeans are shitty for any sort of riding, no matter how many of us do it.

14. BlkDrgnZ28

BlkDrgnZ28 OT Supporter

go for the sv and you don't nessesarily have to get the naked one ... its sports a lil more comfortable riding position and the s has more plastics to trash but my neighbor went down on his sv650s and has the frame sliders and the only thing thats messed up is the slider and barend

15. Jasonj

Jasonj OT Supporter

I've been on a GS500E for about 3 months and I've haven't laid it down riding. I got close though. The road was wet from fresh rain and I was taking a turn into a parking lot. As I was shifting down, I thought I was in neutral, but was in 1st. I let the clutch out too fast and since I was going a little faster than low rev 1st gear, the back wheel slid out on me. Luckily I turned into it and the wheel speed caught up with the bike speed and the bike straightened itself out. Whew....

I have dropped it twice though not running, not moving. Thought my center stand was down and leaned up against the bike - tipped the bitch over - broke a turn signal and scratched up my rear plastic a little bit. Other time I was walking it out of my garage and just flat out lost my balance. Scuffed the seat against some wood.

I'm glad I bought a $1200 starter bike before I went to the big boys. I'm actually thinking about the Triumph Street Triple as me next "real" bike. They are sharp.

16. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

Congrats, you backed it into the parking lot :big grin:

17. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

not necessarily. Many riders have never dropped a bike.

18. c0ldf1ame

c0ldf1ame New Member

i've dropped mine 3 times, always when im parking, thankgod for frame sliders

19. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

Maybe, maybe not. there are riders who go thru life without a wreck.
    I wrecked my dirt bike regularly when i was younger if that counts
    any of us can wreck at any time, hell after posting this i'll probably eat it on the way to work this morning lol, thanks a lot for making me jinx myself. :)

I ride conservatively, cruiser, i'm getting older and fatter so i'm a slow poke who just likes to not be in a car.

obviously if someone pulls out in front of me or i hit a bad patch of rode at the wrong time (debris, large pot hole, etc) my no wreck streak can certainly end. I didn't mean to imply that there is no way i'll wreck. But i am in a lower risk group then most on this board, i don't do stunt riding, i don't pop wheelies or see how fast i can take corners etc etc. a little over a decade or so ago when i still had a sportbike i rode like that and i was very lucky to not go down, but now, i'm mister boring.

not to say it won't happen, we all know it could happen to any of us at any time, hell my cousin just died about a month ago after a truck turned right on red in front of him when he was going through an intersection with a green light, he was an experienced conservative rider who wore full leathers and a helmet, but it can happen at any time.

20. deviant

deviant rest your trigger on my finger

sorry to hear about your cousin :sadwavey: