SRS is binge drinking a form of alcoholism? (serious question)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by civicmon, Apr 2, 2005.

1. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

I went to see this new psychaitrist and I told him about my alcohol consumption. I clearly am a binge drinker, can drink anywhere from 3-15 drinks over the course of a night.

Now, he said that it's a form of alcoholism. I don't consider myself an alcoholic or anything but that made me want to ask in here since some of you who are in recovery can shine some light into this.

is he just trying to scare me or do I have a problem (which I won't discount, but I only drink 1-2x a week, often not touching anything)?

thanks in advance.

2. karmastang

karmastang New Member

It really doesn't matter if you drink every day or just drink heavily once in a while. If you start to drink and can't stop, then it's a problem. If you are obsessing about drinking on the days you don't drink, that's a warning sign too. I would suggest you check out an A.A. meeting and see if you can relate to anything.
    You can find the number in the phone book. They will tell you where the meetings are.
    Good luck.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2005
  3. Luciano

Luciano Guest

I wouldnt thumb my nose at what your pysch said. More than likely, he is speaking from experience. A good rule of thumb, Your therepist is usually not trying to scare you.

Just to ally my own curiosity, why are you seeing a shrink? Sometimes other problems in your life will peek out as self destructive behavior (i.e. binge drinking).
    Oh yeah, are you a black out drinker?

4. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

i have a slew of psych probs like bipolar disorder, ocd, anxiety disorder and ADD.

while you're probably right.. just seems like he was tryin to scare me.

nah, not a blackout drinker, though sometimes my memory gets spotty.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2005
  5. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

I couldn't have said it much better myself. Check out this link too. http://www.aa.org/default/en_about_aa.cfm?pageid=4

6. Bean

Bean Guest

I'm a binger. It's not necessarily when I drink, or how often, but what it does to me that makes me an alcoholic. I'm also a drug addict, and I use the same way...binging.

I believe there's a website somewhere that has a 'test' that will help you determine whether or not this is an issue for you. My guess is that it would be, considering that you've other psych issues to deal with (as do I).

7. Bean

Bean Guest

Also, I used my binging as an excuse to not look at the fact that I've a problem with addictions...because it was so easy to say "look, I don't drink/use every day, I can go long periods without..."

8. Problematique

Problematique New Member

binge drinking is more than 5 units in any one go. so... take out of that what you will.

9. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

Some people are not alcoholics but binge drink, and some people don't binge drink but ARE alcoholics. Basically what karmastang said. There are a few measureable factors which may give greater foundation to one's belief in their abilities (or lack thereof) but in all honesty, the definition of an alcoholic rests on the inability to control drinking upon starting.

10. haha

haha Guest

I wouldn't consider binge drinking a form of alcoholism. Some people only drink one or two nights a week (example: thousands of college students across the country), but when they do drink, they tend to get hammered.

11. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

but the definition of an alcoholic isn't contingent upon frequency of drinking, but rather the type of drinking. Infrequent alcoholic drinking is still the mark of an alcoholic. The inability to moderate drinking, once an alcoholic takes one drink is what characterizes him or her.

12. metoots13

metoots13 New Member

hmm, alcoholic? also what happens to you when you drink, not do you get in trouble every time you drink, but more when you get in trouble have you been drinking? for me one is too many and a thousand never enough, I never knew if I took the first one what would happen to me after, would I be drunk? would I black out? Would I make a fool out of myself?