Is ATT-Cingular that bad?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by yesitisyellow, Jan 19, 2005.

1. yesitisyellow

yesitisyellow New Member

As the title says, is it? Consumer reports marked it 10 points worse than Tmobile in the LA area. I have asked numerous people whether they like the service. It has been sporadic as some people say it's okay and they randomly get dropped calls. Others say they have no reception at where they live or in certain areas. So far Tmobile has never had no reception unless i was deep in the canyon. Some have said that the ATT-Cingular reception will get better soon as they fully integrate together.

So any ATT-Cingular users here can give their personal feedback?

2. skooter

skooter Guest

Here is Detroit Cingular ATT is the worst, reception is do able if you are outside but once you get inside there is none at all. My brother got sucked into a 2 year contract because he liked one of the phones they had, he ended up paying the cancelation fee because he couldnt even use it in the house, most of the time it would take me three or four calls to actually make his phone ring. I know more people with Tmobile than Cingular here and i know only 3 people with tmobile, they seem to like their service. Here there is more people with Verizon and a great majority of the people with either Sprint or Nextel.

3. zennoodle

zennoodle ...hmm must've misplaced my socks

The Cingular hostile takeover is a good thing. You'll be able to roam more. But...for major cities, I like T-Mobile....been with them for 3.5 years and going strong.

4. meme

meme New Member

i've had AT&t cell service for about 7 years. i've never had any problem with their service or their customer service.

i was really worried about the Cingular buy out, but it hasn't been noticeable, except that my phone now says Cingular, not AT&T.

i live in Texas, and i have heard that AT&T is more reliable in this area.

when i have travelled out of state, i've always been able to get a signal except for way out on the coast or up in the mountains.

:)

5. yesitisyellow

yesitisyellow New Member

So bad for major cities and in the suburbs where I am it should be fine.

Thanks for the input so far.

6. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

Technically, it was a merger, not a hostile takeover...

http://www.investorwords.com/2344/hostile_takeover.html

As for coverage, I've been with AT&T (now Cingular) since '95 or so. I've never had much trouble other than when they first launched GSM here and coverage was really spotty (my crappy T68i didn't help).

I have a V551 right now and am pretty happy. Oddly, I get good reception everywhere but my house (have to stick to the rooms on the outer perimeter of the house or the incoming call will sometimes go in and out as I walk around), though it's certainly improved since going from my old T616 to the V551 and since the merger went through.

The only place in recent memory that I haven't had any reception at all was in Llano, Texas, way out in the hill country West of Austin, but I knew that there wasn't much coverage out that way yet as their coverage maps are a bit bare out in the more sparsely populated parts of the state.

So far my only experience with Cingular customer service has been satisfactory with the issue resolved right away.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2005
  7. zennoodle

zennoodle ...hmm must've misplaced my socks

I had AT&T awhile back in the TDMA days....horrible customer service all around so I cancelled them and went to T-Mobile (Voicestream at the time). Everywhere I travel within Texas I get reception. Of course the big thing with Cingular now is that it has both 850/1900 coverage....and 850 travels further and more thorough with less effort so coverage could be better for those who had trouble in the first place with either company. I'll stick with T-Mobile though until Cingular rolls out with 3G :)

8. yesitisyellow

yesitisyellow New Member

I thought Cingular customer service has an average of half an hour of finally answering? How exactly was it for you? and how easy is it to transfer a #?

9. maczter

I just went into the store and told them I wanted to get a new phone and a Cingular plan. I went on the first day that the merger was complete so I was the first migration the guy had done. There was a glitch in the system that wasn't letting him add the data package I wanted, so I had to hang out while he called for assistance. I finally left around 30 minutes after walking in.

When I called customer service, I was on hold for less than a minute on a Tuesday afternoon. My incoming calls were still being directed to my old SIM card, but that phone was turned off so I wasn't getting any incoming calls. Once I told them the problem, they pulled up my account and said they saw the problem and to power cycle my phone and it should be good to go within a few minutes. I don't recall how long they told me, but it was working within a couple of minutes of hanging up.

I never had any problems with AT&T customer service. They were very accomodating on two occasions where I went over my minutes in a big way and they let me do a retroactive calling plan upgrade to a plan that had enough minutes to cover the overage without having to pay for any extra minutes.

10. yesitisyellow

yesitisyellow New Member

Wups, forgot that they're merged again. I myself had pretty good customer service from AT&T a year ago.

So now that they're merged, this means better reception for all under Cingular or the once AT&T correct?

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

In my experience, AT&T has had better service and coverage than TMobile. TMobile has seemed like one of the worst gsm providers.

12. maczter

in theory, yes. so far it seems to be the case.

13. tranceokido

tranceokido New Member

I live in the St. Louis area and we use to have ATT and they sucked ass. See we moved rom Chicago and they were great up there but once we moved down here..they don't have many towers/satalites so we were always getting dropped calls and static no matter which phone. Then we joined cingular and they have been extremely good to us except with one little problem that we haven't tried to fix yet. When the buy out happend..that kind of worried us because we had such shitty service..but now I am reassured as I seem to get better signal where I wouldn't get signal before.

14. yesitisyellow

yesitisyellow New Member

oh okay sounds good.

Some more people around me have said the same stuff as you did.

15. Reznik

Reznik New Member

I think it depends from suburb to suburb let alone a whole city.

16. 3GLUD3

3GLUD3 What just happened here? We got hosed tommy...we OT Supporter

Is Verizons CDMA service better or ATT/Cingular GSM network?

I was wondering because my contract expires at the end of this month and I was wondering which company I should go with. Is the CDMA a digital phone network?

17. imhipyournot

imhipyournot LPC id: 34280

bc of the merger i was able to drop my monthly plan from the 600 minute deal, to the 450 minute deal since i got free mobile to mobile. i cant complain. i also have a phone that will only pick up the 1900 gsm band here in louisville and my reception is great everywhere i go.

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I don't think so. Coverage in socal was okay (not as good as ATT) and coverage up here in s.oregon is horrible.

19. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

I just switched to Cingular myself and have had no complaints so far. The reception is great, plus around my area, Cingular also uses T-Mobiles towers, so their coverage is everywhere, plus t-mobile's areas.
    Basically, around here it's fantastic more or less, but that all can depend on your area, as you said you are from LA, so it might be different :dunno:

20. G!zMo

G!zMo New Member

Depends on where you live colorado, cali, utah ect dont have that good of coverage unless you have digital, I work in theur customer service department (for buisness customers) but we're the "#1 center". But I can see why they would say that, some reps are complete morons.

21. duntaz

duntaz New Member

at&t had better plans

22. Spartus

Spartus New Member

how is verizon reception in your cities?

23. Digital_High

Digital_High New Member

Around here in San Francisco, Verizon is pretty good. Some areas in SF that get no reception from Cing/Att, Verizon picks up, and vise versa. The only thing I don't like about Verizon is their family plans, but that's it. Some of the phones are okay, but not as cool at Cing/Att compatible phones.

I too am thinking on switching over to Cing/Att since everyone that I know has them, and its killing my Sprint bill, plus rollover is a big plus. I have a totally other issue at hand when its coming to pick a provider. So what band(s) does Tmobile use? I read that it only uses 1900, is that even right? I thought they used the old towers and network that Cing had before the merger with Att, which gave them the 850 band, and has them on all four now, but still on the same towers as Cing/Att. I'm not understanding this whole Band stuff.

I want this Tri Band phone that uses 900/1800/1900 bands, but not the 850 that Cingular uses, but uses all the other bands. I was told that the phone might not be that good reception wise since it will be using only those three bands and not the 850. But now I'm hearing that Tmobile (which this phone is originally for in the UK) uses only the 1900 band, thus making it work good on their network. But how can that be if Cing/Att also uses 1900? I'm so confused :confused:

24. Swak

Swak Artificially known as ObsoleteAsian

Well I was with ATT about 4-5 years a go and I hated the service so I moved to Verizon till now. Verizon was ok, meaning I got service in most places but whenever I got incoming calls they would usually go straight to voice message or ring once than voice message. I just signed with TMobile and my father moved to Cingular, so we are doing a comparison to each others now new services to see they react and find out which services us best in each of our areas.

25. BlackWRX02

BlackWRX02 OTs Cingular Guru

I'm not sure if anyone has commented on this or not, but the Consumer Reports issue was a total line of bullshit.

There was much talk about this article and how verizon had quite a hand in its publication. Everyone always trusts CR but its not always accurate information. Everybody has their price....

That being said, coverage depends on a few things. Network availability in your area, and the phone you're using.
    Every company has very strong parts of the country and every company also has very weak parts. It all depends on where you live.

2nd is the phone. If you buy a $1 phone, expect it to work as such. You get what you pay for 99% of the time when it comes to phones.