GUN Is anyone watching this 60 minutes?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Crossett, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Crossett

Crossett New Member

About cyber attacks and how people could just erase banking records or shut down the eletric grid?

:noes:

talk about a SHTF situation

2. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

old news.

3. Crossett

Crossett New Member

:squint:

4. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

:rofl:

5. Crossett

Crossett New Member

:hay:

6. The_Ratt

The_Ratt Hedepnaw

I came home to tune into 5 minutes of this program and got pissed off. Terrible reporting. Too many 1/4 truths.

7. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

only thing I watch 60 Minutes for is Andy Rooney

8. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

Didn't see the show, but an elementary school retard script kiddie could shut down virtually any community bank in an instant. Public utilities run by old ladies could probably be shut down with a telephone call. They're not going to "erase" your bank account, but they can and do move money out of it.

I spent the last 5 years securing bank computer systems, doing social engineering, reading lots of boring ass policies. I've seen people rob banks (500-700k each) with a fucking fax machine. Taking over their entire network is pretty trivial, but it's actually just a lot easier to call them and ask for their passwords or tell them to go to your "new secure email site" to login/download your trojan.

Best story of all time. This particular client is full of anal retentive assholes. Their IT guys are pretty good, so we never get very far on penetration tests. Well after searching around the web for their admin's names my coworker finds this guys blog. In his blog he mentions that he works for this bank (that's how he found it). Well he also talks about his fetish for being a furry and how he dresses up like a cat and want to be mounted. I'm not making this up. So my friend registers the aim name "furmaster" or something to that effect and start's IMing the guy. After a period of time mentions that he's looking for a job and lives in the area. IT guy is like "ya we're actually looking for another programmer or whatever, send me a resume." Bam microsoft word trojan/exploit in the attachment, network owned.

9. The_Ratt

The_Ratt Hedepnaw

:rofl:

10. 90free400e

90free400e New Member

FIRESALE

11. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

I'll give you an example of how easy it is to rob a bank. Go pick up wire transfer form (or more likely download it from their website). Fill out your information in the too field. Add dollar amount, and fax it to any large companies that are local, and therefore probably use the target bank for their payroll.

Retard clerk at the company "oh shit I forgot to fill out the account number on this wire and the bank must have sent it back. I'll go ahead and put my info here and fax it in." Bank calls to verify wire that's being sent to Russia. Retard clerk replies "Ya I just sent it in it should be ok now." Profit.

Shit like this happens 11ty billion times a day. It's never in the news and if it's a small dollar amount (<10k) it doesn't even get reported a lot of the time. Computers are not the weak link. Incompetence is the weak link. You don't need to be a mega 1337 hax0r to fuck a lot of shit up.

How many days can a major city go without power before people are rioting in the streets? About 3 days? Have you ever called the power company, the gas company, etc? How smart is the person answering the phone? Even if there were no computers, someone will have their finger on the power switch, and more likely than not, that person is a retard.

The people who run most everything are just as stupid as the cashier at walmart. I can't tell you how many Bank CFOs who's entire company has billions of dollars running on a little machine in their back room, but they can't remember their 5 character password, which happens to be an admin account.

So in summary buy some MREs and a generator.

12. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

A+ thread, thanks to 'cow

13. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

:werd:
    !

On one hand I'd like to see TSHTF. I mean, there's just no better entertainment than stupid people dying with a can of beans in one hand and a manual can opener in the other, because they couldn't figure out how to put tab A into slot B.

On the other hand, I kinda like not having to shoot at people on a regular basis. It would be hard to hide the fact that my family still has electricity, heat, food, and are living comfortably, even in the event of grid collapse. :noes: