Is anyone on a routine using strictly olympic lifts?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by jmezz, Nov 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmezz

jmezz layin in bed stretchin my pumped quads for hours

Or has anyone tried a routine like that? I thought I remember Timberwolf switching to an oly routine?

I'm gonna start doin some researching but I'm just curious of results people have seen. I'm guessing football routines have a decent amount of oly lifts.

I'm going more for bodybuilding over strength. I noticed the reps were somewhat low and some might recommend a hypertrophy routine over an oly routine but I don't respond to high reps that well. My yolk needs some serious work as well so I'm hopin some oly lifts will tune me up.

2. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

C4 is doing so... I'm incorporating some...but pretty much just for kicks.

3. jmezz

Which lifts are you focusing on?

4. y1997

y1997 Made in the U.S.S.R.

Yeah, I just incorporate them into my routine to work on technique...

I personally would not recomend doing strictly olympic lifts because they tend to be hard on joints and tendons, unless you plan to participate in competitions or something.

5. TheNiz

TheNiz Guest

i think at this point i am almost completely opposite of where you're at. The last 6 or so years i've primarily done oly lifts only. we subsidized them with a few extra lifts on the side, but for the most part we stuck to a pretty strict, albeit simple, regime. Now that i'm out of that program i'm starting to branch out into normal workout routines. For the most part I've found myself a lot stronger than i expected to be.

6. C4

C4 OT OG Aussie #1

I am as timber said, but i would not do a olympic lift routine as a sole training regime unless you are planning on competing in o.lifting.

In addition to a standard lifting routine it would be beneficial to almost all athletes in all sports though, most of the footballers here do it, and all other sports can get a kick for strength, power etc from doing them

but they still do other stuff on top of the olympic lifting schedule

7. C4

C4 OT OG Aussie #1

I really miss being able to do bench and other supplementary work, but i will probably incorporate that in to my training for a 4th session once my body is used to the constant hammering i get for the current 3 sessions per week!

8. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

not a good idea

9. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Since you're not lifting to compete but doing it as supplementary work for an otherwise hypertrophy/ bodybuilding routine... do only the power versions of cleans and snatches....IMO.

Listen to Gogz though... he knows better.:bigthumb:

10. MP18

MP18 New Member

oly routines train you to get better for oly lifts, they don't induce a great deal of hypertrophy because they consist mostly of triples, doubles, and singles. They are aimed at making your CNS more efficient for the lifts.

If you are going for size you should stick to the 10-12 rep range, that is what builds muscle size, if you aren't responding well it could be cause you're not getting enough rest or calories to help you grow

If you are looking for some explosive power I would incorporate some power cleans into your workout but other than that oly lifts aren't going to help you achieve your goals

11. jmezz

Yeah I'm not looking to compete or anything like that. I just look at all the olympic lifters and for the most part their yolk's are nice and thick. I even noticed a couple kids at my gym who are using a football routine with some oly lifts and when they first came in they were somewhat scrawny. Now they have nice thickness to them and their traps have made a substantial amount of progress.

I recently started doing hang cleans and I'm liking those so far. Would it be beneficial to just switch to power cleans, even if I deadlift?

I just checked out what a snatch was and that looks like it has bad news written all over it. That can't be good for your shoulders.

12. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

cleans cause more injuries than snatches

13. C4

C4 OT OG Aussie #1

Id have to agree with you there.. I havent really had any close calls personally but some of the other guys have looked a bit close to injury doing 150kg+ cleans but havent seen anyone get into trouble with snatches (except holding on too long and refusing to let go of the bar)

14. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

I agree with Ceaze.
    I think its probably because it requires better form and technique to get it overhead even if doing the power version.
    Mostly I've been concentrating moreso on snatches then cleans.

15. y1997

What's the "power verion" of cleans and snatches?

16. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

is that because cleans are the more common lift though, or are we talking per capita? Either answer would not suprise me.

17. jmezz

Well that is some shit right there.

I'm gonna do some more research but for now it looks like I'll work the hang clean and snatch into my current workout.

I do hang cleans on my shoulder day so would it be ok to throw snatches in on the same day? Or should I do cleans one week, then snatches the next week?

Also is there any benefit to doing a split jerk over a standing military press or push press?

18. C4

C4 OT OG Aussie #1

no full squat, you power the weight up all the weight without having to drop and catch the weight

19. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

a lot of people hurt their wrists on the catch portion of the clean

20. C4

C4 OT OG Aussie #1

i get a lot more wrist pain from the snatch than cleans, short arms ftl

21. y1997

Snatches tend to feel a little easier on my wrists for me. After 4 sets of cleans my wrists ache like crazy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.