GUN Is anyone here concerned about H.R. 45?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by attomica, Feb 1, 2009.

1. attomica

attomica Active Member

I've changed my mind... California is no longer the shittiest state, Illinois is.

Basically, this bill proposes that no one can possess a firearm unless they have the license. To get this license you have to go take their test, submit fingerprints, and submit a photograph so it can be entered into their facial recognition programs. Later, they'll use this photo for a National ID. Even if you already own any firearms, you'll have to go through this and the license expires so you'll have to renew it too. Since I don't plan on acquiring any more guns this is my main point of contention, but there's a lot more to this bill.

We need to get informed and take action to stop this or owning firearms is going to become a lot less pleasant.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sponsor: Rep. Bobby Rush (D,IL)

H.R. 45, gun licensing act, introduced 1/6/2009

To provide for the implementation of a system of licensing for purchasers of certain firearms and for a record of sale system for those firearms, and for other purposes.

Latest Major Action: 1/6/2009 Referred to House committee.

Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009 - Amends the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act to prohibit a person from possessing a firearm unless that person has been issued a firearm license under this Act or a state system certified under this Act and such license has not been invalidated or revoked. Prescribes license application, issuance, and renewal requirements.

Prohibits transferring or receiving a qualifying firearm unless the recipient presents a valid firearms license, the license is verified, and the dealer records a tracking authorization number. Prescribes firearms transfer reporting and record keeping requirements. Directs the Attorney General to establish and maintain a federal record of sale system.

Prohibits: (1) transferring a firearm to any person other than a licensee, unless the transfer is processed through a licensed dealer in accordance with national instant criminal background check system requirements, with exceptions; (2) a licensed manufacturer or dealer from failing to comply with reporting and record keeping requirements of this Act; (3) failing to report the loss or theft of the firearm to the Attorney General within 72 hours; (4) failing to report to the Attorney General an address change within 60 days; or (5) keeping a loaded firearm, or an unloaded firearm and ammunition for the firearm, knowingly or recklessly disregarding the risk that a child is capable of gaining access, if a child uses the firearm and causes death or serious bodily injury.

Prescribes criminal penalties for violations of firearms provisions covered by this Act.

Directs the Attorney General to: (1) establish and maintain a firearm injury information clearinghouse; (2) conduct continuing studies and investigations of firearm-related deaths and injuries; and (3) collect and maintain current production and sales figures of each licensed manufacturer.

Authorizes the Attorney General to certify state firearm licensing or record of sale systems.

2. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

lets all kill ourselves

3. Jinkle

Jinkle Habs/Vikings > *

Someone shoot that guy :x:

4. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

It's too stupid to go anywhere.

I'm saving all my energy for the next AWB.

I sent Rush a fax anyway, basically saying, "Fuck you".

5. Carl Brutananadilewski

Carl Brutananadilewski Active Member

with a high capacity assault crossbow with poison-tipped arrow :mamoru::x:

6. Golfer

Golfer OT Supporter

sorry bro but CA has it a lot worse than that. That place is like modern day Auschwitz

7. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

no

no cosponsors = going no where

8. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

But not with a firearm. Arrow or nail gun or something.

9. Bacardi 151

Bacardi 151 New Member

Check the date on it. It isn't going anywhere.

10. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Not that this thread is a repost or anything...

11. attomica

attomica Active Member

Introduced a couple weeks ago. :dunno:

You guys seem sort of nonchalant about it. It gets me worried.

12. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

If it attracts some cosponsors and gets referred to subcommittee there might be something worth getting excited about. The fact that it was filed without cosponsors does not bode well for its fate.

13. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

oh

14. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

really? i wasnt aware there was a license required for all firearm ownership. link to information on that?

15. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Are we to fill our pants every time someone introduces a piece of gun control legislation that has no support and no chance of passing? Just because a bill exists does not mean its a threat.

16. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

also there are no cities in CA that have outright bans on handguns, so i don't exactly see how CA is "a lot worse off" in your mind.

17. You should start a petition to try and ban freedom of speech. Point out that just like the antis, you think that a certain freedom is a shame, and you won't rest until you are able to protect people from speech you don't approve.

18. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i'm just trying to protect inner city kids from getting their feelings hurt :coolugh:

19. There, now you've got your message and your motivation. Get out there and make a difference! :bigthumb: