Is anyone here a comp sci major?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Turkey_Sub, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Turkey_Sub

Turkey_Sub New Member

I want to study comp sci but alot of older people I talk to as of lately are telling me its not a good idea because of oursourcing. Anyone have any input on this?

2. haargerman

haargerman ayuh.

If you like it, you're hella good at math and do well in it..then go for it. Don't worry about outsourcing, there will always be a job for a computer programmer/software engineer.

3. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I'm a SR Comp Sci student and I think the people you are talking to are full of shit. There will always be a need for competent programmers...comp sci is one way to get experience in programming. It's not the only way but it's one way. Comp Sci majors were like the top 5 for starting salaries for 04-05 grads...haven't seen for 05-06.

4. MrMan

MrMan New Member

Just get off the idea that computer science = computer programming and you'll understand that the major is still required. There is still computer security, network security, wireless networks, computer vision.. and so on. These are not going to be outsourced.

5. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

Graduated last year in CS from GT. Landed a decent job in software engineering paying average salaries for the field. After demanding and getting a 20% raise this year, I then changed companies and got another 20% in a total of 15 months. The jobs that can get outsourced will get outsourced but from my experience, it's not always possible hence the strong job growth. It's important to stick with positions that focus on customer interaction and leading edge development. Support, maintenance, network management, and DB will all get shoved to India as soon as they can get a VLAN over there.

Make an impact on a software that drives down a company's costs significantly and you're worth a 1000 offshore resources. In my case, my software was used by 40% in store transactions of the country's 2nd largest retailer. Compound that by the fact that retailer's management, as well as our own sales team knew I was behind everything that made it out the door and I was fairly secure. We had plenty of offshore resources but they never had the agility or skills to manage the expectations of a 80 billion a year company that drops 8-9 figures a year on our software/equipment. At the time I left, they had 18 local positions open just from their growth needs despite having nearly 100 offshore resources.

Like MrMan says, it's not all about programming. By sticking yourself in a position where someone just throws programming assignments over the wall, you're setting yourself up to be replaced. There's not much stopping them from throwing that assignment to a country with 4X the population and crippling poverty to motivate people to do anything for less. That's why despite having both a CS and Economics degrees, I'm going for an MBA next year to keep myself marketable no matter what field is hot. It's also why I jumped ship despite being in a safe and comfortable position to diversify my skillset.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Check out undergraduate software engineering programs if you're looking for a programming-related career that's relatively safe from outsourcing. Documentation and design (ESPECIALLY USER INTERFACE DESIGN) requires a much finer understanding of the cultural norms of the client than programming does.