MIL Is anyone an officer?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Want2race, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

I'm thinking about looking into my options more closely. I have the required college degree and a battlefield commision could be pretty cool to get the leadership skills I want to have.

Is anyone an officer?

Is it worth it over regular servicemen?

Would you do it again?

Whats the best benefits and worst drawbacks?

Thanks!

2. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Battlefield Commission? Have you been watching Band Of Brothers lately?

3. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

I wish I could get one. :rofl:

4. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

Well im not actually looking at US military but in Israel its either desk commision or battlefield out of officer training school.

5. x deaD piXeL

x deaD piXeL Turn up the fucking music!

I'm going to become one. Sure it might take time and dedication, but going into ROTC as SMP is alot better, and you get paid as an E-5. I might do OCS though, which you get paid as an E-6 while attending. That'd be sweet too. :)

6. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

I'm not an officer... :hsugh:

Uhh... paid as an e-5 through rotc? e-6 through OCS? PLEASE let me know where you got your information :hsugh:. If its a special program cool - I had a engineer buddy get paid as an e-4 while going to school w/full benefits/pay/bah/bas/ but normally, no. If you're contracted you get a certain stipend every month, but its a couple hundred a month - not that much.

As an officer you're held to a higher standard. Things that you'll lose a stripe for in the army, or get an LOR, Article 15 and it will kill your career as an officer. You're basically a manager for folks. Unless we're talking Army or Marine infantry, you'll be in a cubicle and/or meetings all the time. Yes you have more power, respect from rank - but remember real respect is earned. The whole 'its lonely at the top' rings true. There are a lot of folks that work for me and/or I work with that in the civilian world would be cool to hang out with on a regular basis but because of the whole officer/enlisted fraternization thing, I can't.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2006
  7. scottiemac

scottiemac It's time to shoot some hot dogs!

I almost had that, BC. My civilian boss didn't get the higher ups to agree. :ugh:

8. SporkLover

SporkLover New Member

Not sure if you are talking about hte US military or not... he said he was talking about Israeli military. So if you are talking US.... then those rules probably dont apply. If you arent talking US.... I am stepping away from the thread

9. ManinCamo

you don't think officers in ANY military are held to a higher standard, that more is expected out of them, and that they are in a more management role?

10. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

That sounds complicated but I expect them to be held more accountable and probably have to work harder to get there.. but more than that I do not know honestly

11. nadahonda

nadahonda Member

If you are Reserve or Guard and you sign a contract to graduate and Commission on a stated date then your drill pay is bumped up to E-5 pay and your kicker goes up as well.

For non prior enlisted cadets all they get is the monthly stipend.

12. ManinCamo

drill pay, but not standard monthly AD style pay

13. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

dude after talking to a few guard and reservists, i think they got a better deal

i know a chick in the guard who is an O-1, but is filling a GS-11 job and making much more than me (an O-2 with 3.5 years)

she was explaining about "double dipping" and getting extra hours and stuff, i was completely confused but the bottom line is she's making about 50% more than i am and it pisses me off

14. SporkLover

SporkLover New Member

Without a doubt they are held to a higher standard (on paper)..... but I was referring to what you were talking about in the first paragraph.

If you want to know what i mean about higher standard on paper.... look at some of the punishments dealt to GO's when caught fraternizing.

15. x deaD piXeL

If you are in the simultaneous membership program, you will get paid as an E-5 during ROTC and E-6 during OCS. (This might just be for Guard/Reserves. I'm in the Guard, but going Active when I become an officer)

16. ManinCamo

Sorry, that should have been a question, not a statement.

As far as the GO's. yea... no real arguement that they are treated special. figure in their good years of service?

17. x deaD piXeL

I heard alot of the ROTC 2nd's are real pricks to alot of the enlisted for whatever reason. I've only met a few officers though and they were all pretty good guys to me.

When I was in BCT, one officer got mad though at a drill sergeant for making a joke during our graduation rehearsal while she was reading off the names.

When I become an officer, I'll never be like that. Fuck that shit ^_^

18. ManinCamo

What happens is you get the officer versions of Accord, such as accords officer friend (search for it) who's a total prick and thinks because he's an officer that he's better than the enlisted. You run into a couple of those and you develop a stereotype.

IMO, Its all about the right time, right place, and knowing when to keep your mouth shut and how to approach stuff. Alas, I must stop before I get pinned with the know-it-all LT badge.

19. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

what college did you attend ManinCamo, Sir?

20. ManinCamo