COMIC is anime going down hill?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by dmora, Feb 6, 2003.

1. dmora

dmora Guest

What is this yugioh crap?! Im flippin channels and this fucked up cartoon is on. Not to mention how bad the transformers is and stupid shit like Dragonball.

I dont ever remember good ones having 2 hour long battle scenes with nothing but interal dialogue and asides.
    :rolleyes:

Maybe ive just outgrown this crap tho? :dunno:

2. Mega-JC: Da Return

Mega-JC: Da Return Tiger Knee!

12-1:30am CN Adult Swim >*

Lupin the III
    Inuyaha
    Yu Yu Hakusho
    Cowboy Bebop

3. keroberos

keroberos OT Supporter

you're watching kid stuff :rofl:

4. dmora

dmora Guest

that would explain it. :uh: regardless, Transformers Gen 1 was a "kids show" and it kicked ass.

My fave manga are, ninja scroll, akira, ghost in the shell, vampire hunter D, and even tho its not really japanese i like Aeon Flux. Im really excited to see this new one, Reign.

There was this one i saw on public access a while back called "Shurato" anyone know where i can get it? It was boderline kiddie, but still cool.

5. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Reign looks awesome, really awesome.

As for anime, only Cartoon Network and Tech TV seem to be showing the real anime goods.

The other stuff shown on the kiddie networks is just that, kiddie fare, very disposable kiddie fare.

6. ironfist

ironfist New Member

Fuck FOX Kids and TokyoPop

7. Tikiman

Tikiman The Internet has left me in despair.

Whats wrong with TokyoPop???

As far as Anime going down hill, Thats a big negative. If anything it is getting better (at least as far as anime in the states) There are alot of quality stuff coming out in Japan and stuff is getting released on DVD alot sooner. And we are even getting some on the older stuff finally released on DVD, Like Lupin III!!!

8. pepsi

pepsi Cut my life into pieces

anime is far from going downhill. maybe your problem is you don't download enough :big grin:

9. Whojive

Whojive Form a Fucking Wall OT Supporter

good places, not named kazaa, to download?

10. pepsi

pepsi Cut my life into pieces

Direct Connect, fasttrack networks. irc, usenet, bearshare. anything with alot of users. I find fasttrack to work really well though. that's where i've gotten all my anime. That be about 40 gigs worth or more.just a guesstimate

11. Jaron95

Jaron95 "Gattai" dattou?!

12. Tikiman

Tikiman The Internet has left me in despair.

Hmmmmm.... Must have missed that whole thread. Yeah that does suck, but beyond that Tokyopop has done alot of good things. I think I agree with what someone else pointed out that they must be making thise for an american TV release so they felt the need to westernize it :(

At least they didn't screw with Great Teacher Onizuka. I would have brought down holy wrath upon them if they touched that series.

13. Whojive

Whojive Form a Fucking Wall OT Supporter

thanks :bigthumb: i tried irc but it takes forever to download eps because everyone and their brother downloads. i'll try fasttrack :big grin:

14. Camcam

Camcam J.U.N.K.E.R.

Encore Action channel plays Anime movies Friday nights. No commercials, uncensored :cool:

15. lordcoca

lordcoca Wading in the Velvet Sea

I like the old Dragonball:hs:

Also TechTV plays some anime, though I never watch it. I think they're showing Crest of the Stars and Silent Mobius, but I might be wrong.

16. strykers

strykers Antimember

what do you mean by fasttrack? you mean kazaa and the other programs that use the fasttrack network?

17. Camcam

Camcam J.U.N.K.E.R.

Yeah that's what they play, but it's dubbed (badly!) and censored.

18. Homan

Homan Unconquerable OT Supporter

Yeah atleast to me anime lately has been shit, no feel to it at all.

19. keroberos

keroberos OT Supporter

lies!

20. i have all the yugioh on vcd's bootlegged

21. RDB

RDB Blinded By Subpar Modulators

if you want good stuff you have to find stuff put out by good fansubbers, and not the dragonballzized voice actors Cartoon network did for things like trigun.....

if you're wathcing anime with an english soundtrack you are missing the story IMO.

22. ancientpc

ancientpc Guest

Yes and no. I started watching about 6 years ago, stopped about 3 years ago. I watch an occasional movie / series I leech off a friend every now and then, but I don't download / collect / trade tapes (the only way to get new anime pre-mass broadband) anymore.

Anime has gotten more mainstream. I don't have to explain anime to people now like I had to 6 years ago (god that makes me feel old). While this allows for easier access to obtaining anime, it doesn't feel like a unique hobby or anymore. Also, the majority of the new stuff has turned childish, or at the very least the image is such.

You ask someone what they think anime is, and they'll reply back with Pokemon, Yu Gi Oh, Card Captor Sakura, Dragonball Z, Sailor Moon, etc.

Then there's the other image of anime. The fat, smelly bastards who revolve their lives around images of pre-teen girls in skimpy dresses idolizing anything Japanese. It's not a misinterpreted image either, I saw plenty at my first and only trip to UT's 500+ member anime club and in JPN language classes.

Either way, anime has developed into more CG, depending on the series. If that's "better" than so be it.

However, I've been unable to find any interesting new anime series that have truly wow'ed me. The only anime in the past I've really liked was Cowboy Bebop, the first Kenshin OAV, Evangelion, and FLCL. Not a fan of this new cutesy teeny bopper crap being released.

Basically, it seems like everyone's been improving the quality of anime, while story / characters have gone to hell. The only stuff outside of cutesy anime being released are movies being elongated into a TV series, like Ghost in the Shell and Ninja Scroll.

23. Homan

Homan Unconquerable OT Supporter

EXACTLY