GUN Is an NRA membership worth it?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Accord, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Accord

Accord New Member

As most of you know (from the 1000's of threads i've made over the past few days) I just ordered my first firearm yesterday, a Bushmaster :bigthumb:.

Anyways, I need to decide if I should join the NRA, is it worth it?

2. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Once you join they will call you all the time asking for donations.

3. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

i get shit all thet ime in the mail asking for donations. but i don't give them anything.

$35 a year helps the cause

4. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

I don't think so, they always want you to donate more money and the magazines you get both suck.

5. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

:werd:

6. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I've been meaning to just send them an anonymous money order soon since I think they help with progun legislation. I'd also like to support http://www.gunowners.org/

7. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

If you like to have the right to own firearms, I'd suggest supporting them. Even if it's only a 1 year membership, you're still helping them out. They're the biggest gun lobbying group in DC. They helped stop legistation that would allow lawsuits to gun manufactures. I think they cause is just. Plus the magazines aren't that bad. Though they are highly in favor of almost everything they review.

8. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

is it worth owning guns? if so, you should have a membership already.. I wouldnt want to think where we would be without them..

you can get a $25 yearly membership by clicking on the link at www.gunsnet.net/forums

straight from NRA its $35

9. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

:werd: I need to get the money and join up just for that reason.

10. RRTX

RRTX New Member

I'm a life member, I encourage everyone to join the NRA along with any groups for your state such as the TSRA here in TX.

11. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

NRA membership is a requirement for the range I shoot at. I don't mind, it gives them more cash and clout (though membership #'s) to fight off the idiotic shit from the Feinstein's of the world.

12. Ryno

Ryno Gun in hand

It's worth it. No one fights harder than they do to keep our 2nd amendment rights. I am a lifetime member. They have a easy pay plan where they charge you like $25 every 3 months until it's paid off... that way it's not such a big chunk of change at once.

13. Dranian

Dranian (..)

Freedom isn't free. I would definately recommend joining. I got a free leather jacket with my life membership but I dunno if you want a jacket or if they're still giving them out. The membership benefits are pretty good. You save money on hotels, rental cars, prescription medications and lots of other stuff. The magazine I get (americas first freedom) is a pretty good magazine. Also definately join their mailing list. They'll send you emails telling you about important legislation and how you can make a difference. I've called and wrote to my senators and state legislators a number of times thanks to the advice in those emails.

14. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

opt for Americas 1st Freedom, over American Rifleman.. better mag IMO.

15. RRTX

RRTX New Member

Probably any %, give them a call and ask.

16. Accord

Accord New Member

I think I might do that lifetime membership thing where you pay $25 each quarter.

17. dougfir

dougfir i luf korean grills

If you get this, do they still call you for donations?

18. Dranian

Dranian (..)

they'll probably ask for money no matter what. i paid in full for my lifetime membership and i've never gotten a call. i get mail from them sometimes asking for money though. sometimes if you donate they'll give you stuff though. i donated money to help stop hillary clinton from winning in the next election, they're sending me a hat for my donation.

19. Accord

Accord New Member

:rofl: :bowdown:

20. Accord

Accord New Member

Last edited: Dec 4, 2005
  21. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

Here are the two biggest benefits to being an NRA member that no one ever thinks about:

The NRA automatically insures your firearms in case they're somehow destroyed. May also cover theft, but I don't know. I believe the policy is just for $1000, but think about that- that's $1000 more than most homeowner's policies will fork out for firearms.

Number two- Do you shoot at a range? If you shoot at an organized range, you can thank the NRA, because almost 100% of the public ranges in the US are insured through the NRA. Without that liability insurance and the NRA, you wouldn't have more than a handful of ranges nationwide. They also supply a ginormous book for potential range builders that has everything you would want to know, from business plans to blueprints. I looked through that book tonight at the range. It's about 6 inches thick, on a 3-ring binder.

Those are the reasons to keep joining and renewing memberships to the NRA, among others.

22. blindarrow

blindarrow New Member

You got anymore info on that book? I'll be joining the NRA very soon, but that book would be an interesting read too..

EDIT: Nevermind, found some info.. http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/sourcebook.asp

23. Dranian

Dranian (..)

its a decent jacket though, if you can pay $750 all at once the membership practically pays for itself..i mean your getting a leather jacket thats probably worth a good amount plus all the savings from discounted hotels/rental cars/life insurance/other benefits. you really get the most for your money when you pay all at once. but no matter how you pay, your money is going to a good cause and defending your rights is the most important membership benefit.

24. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

I never get called :dunno:

25. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

neither do i, even if they do, i would ask them to stop calling