is an iPod case absolutely necessary?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bheld, Dec 17, 2006.

1. bheld

bheld I'm paying you with your own money...

I bought one as a gift for teh woman and was wondering if I should get a case to go with it. I'm not too concerned with resell value, so scratches I can live with. Any other reason to drop another $30 on a case?

2. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

Only if she's clumsy :dunno:

I would recomend a screen protector. Doesn't even need to be an iPod screen protector, I bought a 20 pack of Palm Pilot Screen Protectors that I use for just about everything, all of the iPods in my house (like 4 between my family) plus all the cell phones. If you only want one, Apple sells ones that are already cut for the iPod.

3. alverino03

alverino03 Active Member

:werd: on screen protector. Nothing more upsetting than a scratch on a new iPod.

4. MUDFISH

MUDFISH New Member

I bought a case for mine... used it about a week, and haven't seen it since... I carry my Nano in my pocket, and the cases are just too thick... and I only have a few small scratches in over a year...

5. bheld

screen protector I can understand.

I might just get one of the el cheapo cases on ebay for the screen protection, then just take it out to watch videos.

6. skolen

skolen Guest

I bought some DLO clear shell for my 80gb at BestBuy for $20. And that came with a protection film for the front to boot. The rear half unhinges so you can prop it up to watch a movie or whatever.

I bought one because I'm real anal about protecting my expensive shit, plus I have a Pioneer DEH6800 in my car w/the iPod kit so I don't want it getting scratched up or damaged. I even clean & dust my G5 weekly.

7. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic One Nation Under A Groove

I prefer to get the first few scratches right away, then you can carry it around everywhere without giving a fuck or worrying about some little ass shit that doesn't effect is perfromance at all.

8. skolen

skolen Guest

lol, I wish I could be like that. I didn't open mine until I picked out a case. And even then I handled the thing extra carefully.

9. ez4me2c3d

ez4me2c3d Cold Member

I had the 1st Gen one of those, the one where only a small portion of the top actually removes and the iPod slides out. I returned it, because the iPod was to heavy for the case to contain it and would allow it to fall out.

The new one, like the one you have, is the same, only now the two pieces don't actually come apart so the iPod is less likely to fall out. Still a shitty case. Brand new, and I'll never use it.

I use the soft case that it came with. Yeah I can't see the screen without pulling it out, but it's clean, sleek and works great for protecting my iPod from scratches.

I do use a different case for working out though.

10. ez4me2c3d

ez4me2c3d Cold Member

Are you old enough to buy your own car? I can only imagine how you'd be bringing home a new TL or something.

11. skolen

skolen Guest

I'm 28 and bought my car new and have since paid it off. I freak out when it gets dirty and constantly detail it. It's been hit a few times so there's lots of dings & scratches (7 years old) and they irk me every time I see it.

I don't have to worry about it lately tho, my tranny died over Thanksgiving weekend so it's just sitting in the garage.

It's just how I am w/my expensive stuff. I've gotten plenty of new things I don't care if they get ruined.

12. iridium130

iridium130 OT Supporter

Normally, I'm ultra anal about my electronics, but for some reason, I dont' really care if my iPod Nango 1G gets dinged and banged up :o

13. skolen

skolen Guest

Yea, if I had one of those I wouldn't really care. My old Shuffle got tossed around a lot. I made an NES skin for it.

Can't find a bigger pic:
    [​IMG]

14. bheld

woah, that's pretty cool