Is an AppleTV for me?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by hoppy1028, Mar 6, 2009.

1. hoppy1028

hoppy1028 New Member

I always stream music from my Airport express through either my MacBook or my IMac, and I have an account on a couple torrent sites, but never download movies....music that's another story. How easy is it to dl and install and is boxxee worth it? I always watch movies through my netflix either on the 360 or through mail, what is the easiest way and theoretical way if i got an AppleTV?

Thanks for any help

2. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

I wouldn't bother with a Apple TV in your case. Sounds like the setup you have works well for you so why change it. No reason to buy new hardware if you can use your 360 to watch what you need (even though it does make your e-penis bigger to have more equipment).

3. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

I don't understand the point of the Apple TV.

4. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

what's not to understand besides being able to get a mac mini for cheaper and doing almost the exact same thing?

5. Toyman321

Toyman321 New Member

I've got one, I like, I don't love it. I've ripped most of my DVD's and put them on it, also we have a Netflix account and when we don't have the time to watch something we rip it, mail it back and put it on the Apple TV so we can watch it later. It serves it's purpose, having an infant and being able to get at my entire movie collection by remote while taking care of her is convienient.

They are nice, are they worth it? Thats debatable. Apple keeps sending out surveys about the apple TV to me, I know most owners have the same gripes about it (no browser, no expandable USB drive support, no keyboard mouse support etc etc) and have told Apple this, but nothing has happened. Their are hacks that will enable these things, you can also add Boxee and other tweaks, but each time an update comes out it's breaks all of these tweaks and your back at ground zero.

For most people a used mini hooked to the TV and using front row I think would be a better option for the money.

6. Deevan

Deevan Active Member

Works great for me.

TVShows (auto bittorrent any TV Show) + Visual Hub = Win.

I don't have to do anything and I get all my subscribed shows, in HD.

7. Pseudonym

Pseudonym --

I've never been able to get TVShows to work right. I'll set it up but it will never download things.