Is a vintage bike a bad idea for a first bike?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Moistfly, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Moistfly

Moistfly Anal Bum Cover

I've been thinking about buying something like a bmw r 69 or a triumph 250 as a first bike but having never ridden anything more than a dirt bike and I don't know if it's a bad idea or not. I'm not worried about maintenance issues and the like, but is the handling on older bikes forgiving enough that an inexperienced rider wont kill themselves? :noes:

2. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

I like the older bikes, period.
    why spend a fortune on the latest and greatest when you can find a good running solid older bike for a shitload less that gets the job done just fine.
    Only thing to consider is your mechanical ability and availability and cost of parts. Most dealerships won't touch anything older than 10 years now so unless you know of a 3rd party garage/mechanic that has no qualms about the age, then you're going to be doing your own work.

If you are cool with turning wrenches, then welcome to the common sense group. My daily driver is an 85 yamaha that I've put all of $900 into including the bike and it will run all day long all over the country. I'll take on anyone in long distance sport touring rides and know the bike will not even struggle and I'll be comfy the whole way.

as for handling, they are just fine as long as you maintain them and in many cases, more forgiving for new riders (consider that in 1982 the big badass Honda V65 magna was 116hp, today a 600cc crotchrocket can see 120hp)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  3. Tom93R1

Tom93R1 Member

I think those are much better first bike choices than these guys that go pick up a new sport bike for their first.

4. Moistfly

Moistfly Anal Bum Cover

I'm glad you guys said that. I was seriously thinking of bidding on this yesterday

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcycles___1932-Zundapp-K200-Kardan-200-German-Motorcycle-Rare_W0QQitemZ380088471511QQddnZMotorcyclesQQddiZ2283QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_motorcycles?hash=item380088471511&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A13|39%3A1|240%3A1308

I'm not sure I'm savvy enough to handle the upkeep on a bike that old but god damn is it sexy :drool:

5. mtnbikekid08

mtnbikekid08 Aime-moi moins, mais aime-moi longtemps

If you want a reliable bike, don't get a vintage bike, esp. if you aren't tool-savvy.
    I would get a more modern bike.

6. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

This is exactly what I came here to type, but mid 80s bikes are still fairly common and parts readily available especially in used condition. Something like the 30s German auction that was posted I'd imagine is more difficult to restore or R & R. But in many cases the older platforms are much simpler and many cases parts are retrofitted or interchangeable.

If you had the motivation, you could turn a late 70s Jap into something that looks like that Zundapp. For much cheaper than it sold for and have access to spare parts too.

7. 7960

7960 New Member

the only thing wrong with getting one is fixing it when you drop it.

8. Toyman321

Toyman321 New Member

If your looking for a first timer I'd suggest not going that old or that rare. I'd look into the honda CB's or something along those lines (70's - 80's Japanese import), they are cheap, easy to come by, aftermarket parts are abundant, parts are still readily available and very cheap online. You can also leave them stock, bobber them, cafe them...etc etc pretty easiy and cheaply. HTH

9. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

Factual correction that doesn't really bring anything, just saying: the V65 Magna didn't come out till 1983, in 1982 all they had was the V45.

My first ride was a 200cc scooter (2005 Piaggio BV200), and when I sold it, I bought a vintage bike, a 1984 Honda Magna V65. It's a big powerful bike (sure, a new 600cc sportbike might make more peak HP, but I'll bet my V4 makes more torque and has a broader powerband). So far, it's been a good bike, although I did lay it down about 70 miles into my first ride on it, just gave it too much gas coming off a stop into a right (remember, i came from a 200cc scooter with 20 HP ant the crank!). Anyways, it only cost about $215 to fix everything, including upgrading some stuff to chrome, so it looks better than it did. Over all, though, it's a very fun bike to ride, and i don't regret getting it for a second. Plus, with an older bike like this, I don't need to worry about depreciation, it's a 25 year old bike! And if I ever do want/need to sell it, Ican probably get my money back pretty easily. But for now, I'm keeping it, and plan on taking a big ride this coming summer, should be a blast! I just wish I wouldn't have to stop every 120 miles for gas!

10. Ghost Load

Ghost Load i'll see your kidcarson and geekboy and raise you OT Supporter

my first bike was a 73 850 norton commando. alwasys regretted selling it, but i was young i now have a 72 combat. if i was you i'd get a newer bonnie/thruxton/scrambler. that way you could spend time riding instead of waiting for parts.

11. Jarg0n

Jarg0n New Member

Wish I would have seen this thread earlier. My first bike was/is a 76 CB750. I'll never sell it. Buy old first. Definitely.