Is a VFR too much for a noob?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Buck-O, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

I can get a really good deal on a 02 VFR, but it would be my first bike.

So, would it be to much for a beginer to handle? Or is it tractable enough that it wouldent be to overwhelming?

Oppinions please.

2. Jerm

Jerm I

I would say yea, it's too much for a nOOb.

3. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Reasoning?

4. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

anyone else?

5. Jerm

Jerm I

Power

6. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

98 BHP, and 54 Lbs. Ft.?

Fuck a Kawi Z750s has more then that.

The only thing about the VFR is that the V4 delivers the power very smoothly, and has a very flat torque curve, so its deceptively more powerful then the numbers suggest.

Weight, yeah, thats a conscern of mine too.

But heres my take on that, im almost 5' 11" (5 10.5ish), and nearly 300 pounds. And have a very large body frame. So i need somthing that will be able to carry me without spening an aditional $1200 on suspension upgrades.

Plus i have friends and family that ride spread out across the I5 corridor through Washington. From north of Seattle, to Portland. So ill be putting alot of highway miles on the bike as well. So ill need the extra comfort, and the heft for freeway cruising.
    Plus i have a mixture of riders that i know. From pure sport bike, to UJM, to cruiser.
    With all of that in mind, i cant think of a better motorcycle then the VFR to do it all on.

The other option im looking at is the afformentioned Kawi Z750S, but id have to do some suspension mods to get it to handle right. New springs, shock oil, and cartridge emulators for the front forks, and potentially a new shock for the rear, if the preload adjustment is as high as i think it will need to be.

The biggest thing is that i have a line on an 02 VFR for $4500. Which is a scream'n deal. COnsidering they usually go for 5500-7000.

That make a bit more sense?

7. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

You're dealing with 100hp and plenty of torque. That is simply more than a brand new rider should attempt.

Buy something a bit more forgiving.

8. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Well,t eh problem im having is that "more forgiving" also mean "very small" and usually "very cheap" in terms of componentry, and build quality.

I just dont want to look like a gurilla fucking a football.

But even with a 100 BHP, the weight of the bike and the tractabiltiy of the power should count for somthing at least...

I was talking to a couple of people that learned to ride on a 99 VFR, and said it wasnt to bad, it was just the weight that was a problem. But considering my size it shouldent be much of an issue.

I dunno...im still looking.

9. machine81

machine81 New Member

VFRs are very nice bikes, especially for touring. I'd probably skip it though. It just seems like too much. Would you be able to handle it 98% percent of the time, yes. It's that other 2% of the time that will bite you in the ass.

If you're concerned about suspension and power curve there are other bikes that fit the bill. What about a middle-weight cruiser? Say in the 700-900cc range. Yes, the engine is bigger, but it isn't crazy powerful. Plus the torque will make it feel more forgiving. There are a lot of cruisers that have nice suspension on them. They're meant to "cruise" remember.

10. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

I think that anology applies with ANY bike. Reguardless of rider or power level. Eventually, at some point, you will exceed your level of talent, and you will fail. Thats somthing i learn a LOOOOONG time ago from racing cars. So, im at least going into this preaty level headed.

As far as cruisers go. THey are completely, totally, and unequivicly, out of the question.
    1: Cruisers are for faggots, posers, and red necks.
    2: They do not handle for shit, and 90% of the group riding i will be doing, will be with people on sport bikes, riding twisties at a nice quickened pace.
    3: There is a serious lack of wind and weather protection on a cruiser. And living in the Northwest, i will get rained on...alot.
    4: The riding posision on most all cruisers is very uncomfortable for me. I prefer to be slightly leaned forward, then sitting upright like a board. I find my arms dont tire as quickly that way. It should be the exact oposite, but its not.
    5: See #1.

ABout the closest i would come to a cruiser, would be the VFR. ANd its borderline. But its still sporting enough that i can take it on the back roads with friends, and be able to at least keep up with their Aprillias, and TLR, and CBR's without to much stressing.

If i dont go with the VFR, ill end up going with somthing like the Z750S, or and SV-S. But with those, im going to be shelling out money for suspension upgrades almsot instantly. But neither would be as comfortable, or as weather friendly as the VFR would.

And saddly every other Sport Touring bike that is out there, costs more then teh VFR, or has crazy power from a 1000cc+ engine.

11. oakie

oakie my ninja.

1. as much "squid bashing" you've done, one would have thought you have riding experience.

based on that, you should stick to 4 wheels until your maturity level catches up to your testosterone level.

12. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

What the hell does squid bashing have to do with riding ability? Thats like saying someone who doesnt drive cant call someone a ricer, becuase they have no idea.

Seriously, STFU.

Im glad you "know me so well". :jerkit:

13. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

:slap: a true enthusiast will respect and love all forms that it comes in, no matter if its art, cars, motorcycles, guns, etc. you my friend seem to want to ride for the wrong reasons and for that reason alone that bike may be too much for you

14. Arsenal4rs

Arsenal4rs BEES!!! MUTHERFUCKIN BEES!!!

your reasons 3 and 4 are fine for not wanting a cruiser. 1 and 2 only serve to illustrate a total lack of maturity. Im not a big sport bike fan, my reasons for that are basically the same reasons as your 3 and 4. For me its just not that comfy. But to sit there and spout off how cruisers are for faggots/rednecks/etc is just ridiculous., and really shows the "squid" in you.

I mean you came here asking others their opinion as to whether or not the bike in question was to much for a beginner. Then when told an answer you didnt like you really started whining about how they were all wrong... That being the case, why did you even bother asking to begin with?

The other thing Im questioning is later when you say the majority of group riding your going to be doing is going to be back road twisty's and wanting to keep up. A new rider really ought to be more concerned with learning then keeping up on back roads twisty's... that sort of behavior and thinking wil lead to a quick drop and a sudden stop.

Also... rain protection? Im not sure what your looking for, but unless your enclosed, something is going to get wet.. cruser OR sport bike.

rain protection = a suit.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
  15. machine81

machine81 New Member

:werd:

16. Frequency

Frequency New Member

seems your mind is already made up, so why come here if you are going bash our opinion?
    i'll get you a sick deal on a 06 busa if i can collect the insurance
    Arsenal4rs hit it on the head

17. Jerm

Jerm I

That will be a sight to see, a 300 lb. guy ripping it on a sportbike :eek3:

18. monkeymunzey

monkeymunzey Guest

since you think you know more than people that have been riding for a while, why don't you just buy the VFR and delete the thread?

19. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Oh,intence hatred.
    Fucking halarious.

And i do. Infact two the of 5 or so people i will do most of my riding with, ride cruisers. Its what they grew up on, and they have always prefered them. I have no problem riding with them at all.

Perhaps you shoul dbe checking to see if your feet are frozen to the ground. Im sure hell must have frozen over, if sarcasim is suddenly dead on OT.

Wow, again sarcasim escapes the masses of OT...i think teh frost is to my knees by now.

Theres no squid in me, any more then there is faggot or rednick in you. Or maybe your more cast iron skillet, instead of pot or kettle?

Yes i did come in ehre asking oppinions, and i still welcome them. People offred oppinions about why a particular aspect of the bike was bad, i offer a counter point about why i think that aspect might be good, and then they counter point with why that logic might be flawed bassed on their own personal experiences. Saddly, only one post has had that desired effect.

Whats even more sad is this EXACT SAME QUESTION, post on CycleForums has results in a 3 page long discussion. How OT manages to fuck up a discussion, is beyond comprehension for me.

You assume that im going to attempt to go out and imidiatly be transformed into Valentino Rossi, and start cutting it up with Kenny Jr. and Nicky Haden. Of course i intend to learn to ride well first. Of course ill be riding somthing else before i attempt to take out the VFR, and obviously the first several rides i go on, i will be playing cabose.
    The point i was making is that eventually i will be doing alot of mixed riding, and will need somthing that is capable of doing both well enough to be enjoyable. I dont see how that concept is difficult to understand?

And no shit about the rain suit. My dad comuted via motorcycle in So Cal for the better part of 20 years. I know a thing or two about proper riding gear.

My mind is preaty well made up. There isnt much out there that matches the capability of teh VFR in the price range that im looking at. Ive already been pointed out a couple of differnt bikes over on Cycle Forums, and while im intersted in them, i cant afford them.

And i havent bashed anyones oppinion. As i said, no one has really given their oppinion, only half ass remarks, that really had no substance. WHy in the hell would i want a cruiser, is most of my riding will be sport oriented? What does my level of riding have to do with the level of squid bashing? None of that is relevent, and that is all directly the main things i took issue with. And suddenly, everyone is on a fucking bandwagon of bullshit. If i wanted that sort of responce i would have posted this in Off-Topic, not here.

Hi, im Buck-O, now that we;ve met, would you like to put more words in my mouth?
    I havent said i know more then anyone in this thread. Show me where i said "i know more then you do, GTFO"...you cant. Becuase i didnt. I was attempting to get more then a one word answer out of someone. And as i said, only ONE SINGLE POST actually netted any useful information.

Tell you what, how i about i leave this thread here, and you figure out what a "noob" is, and realize your oppinion on the affairs of this thread dont matter as a result.

Now im sure Hell has frozen over, fucking noobs telling OG what to do with their threads.

And to think i was actually laughing at most of the bandwagoning unfounded replys in this thread when i started typing.

Now im just pissed at how downhill OT has gone.

20. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

:rofl:

Im not THAT type of 300 pounds, i look more 230-240 ish right now (ive put weight on in my face).

The leanest ive ever beenin my life was 215 pounds...and that was with 7% body fat. So that shoudl give you an idea of muscle mass. I dont really look that "big" untill you start making size comparisons. And realize my calfs are larger then most peoples thighs.

21. monkeymunzey

monkeymunzey Guest

You asked if the bike was a good choice for a beginner, and people that own and operate sportbikes on a daily/weekly basis tell you it's probably too much. If you feel this bike is the only bike out there that will satisfy you, then get off the computer and go fucking buy it. MOST "noobs" start on a smaller bike they can handle, then move on from there. If you want to buy a big, powerful bike...be my guest. People are trying to look after your well being as a FUTURE bike crew member.

"Now im sure Hell has frozen over, fucking noobs telling OG what to do with their threads."

get over yourself :greddy:

22. Arsenal4rs

look, people offered their opinions in well thought out sentences with reasons behind their opinions. Sorry you didnt like them, so by all means, go buy your big bike.. no one here knows what they are talking about... we are all n00bs obviously... after all being an OTOG and typing on messages out on a website for a few years earlier then us obviously means that our opinions (the same ones you came here asking for) dont mean shit.

23. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I always imagined it more like Donkey Kong in Mario Cart.

As far as the 02 VFR that is a 800 right? You want a honest answer...yes it would be fine. I believe most bikes under a liter are fine for riders. This would all depend on self control and ability. Take the MSF course if you have never ridden and if YOU think you have control then I say go for it. The problem is there is so much power there that you are either going to use incorrectly or mistakenly. You don't want to mistakenly jerk the throttle and go flying off the bike or oversteer a turn. At least with a smaller bike the thrusts will be more subtle. That is why most will recommend just going with a smaller and more forgiving bike. It's more riskier on a larger bike. It's like putting food in a fat mans hand and telling him not to eat it until he gets skinnier.

24. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

ROFL! I had neve3r thought about the Mario Cart aspect...:rofl: thats a good one, ill remember that.

THanks for the answer. ANd yes, it is an 800, 98 BPH, 54 lbs. ft. of torque.

I will probibly learn to ride on somthing else. I know a couple of people with beater Ninja 500's that i can borrow to help take the MSF with. And i certaintly intend on taking the MSF before i do any riding that involves actually going beyond the limits of my local neighborhood.

Its just that i will intend on moving to a motorcycle for my daily transportation very soon after doing that. And the VFR really is the only thing that works for everything i need to do.

Im certaintly not dumb enough to imidiatly buy a bike and instantly go out and pretned i know what im doing. ANd im certantly not going to be buying an FZ1 or a ZX14, or some other 130+ BHP bike and pretend to think i can handle it. Because i know i dont NEED that sort of power.

25. Arsenal4rs

Glad to hear it man. I think thats all anyone was trying to say. No one wants to hear about any rider, much less a fellow OTer ending up as a stain on the road.