MIL Is A school anything like college?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by RebootEnzo, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

Just curious about the learning format of A school.

2. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

Well I was thinking ET for the Navy. Would it just be like an electronic program at a CC?

3. ImIrish

ImIrish New Member

nothing like an electronic program at a CC. depending on what base they send you to for school, depends on your privledges. you can have a POV. but usually you have to earn the right. navy has phases of liberty. phase 1 is basically you fucking suck. you get to wear your uniform all day and cant leave base til the weekend. oh, and be home when the street lights come on.

phase 2
    you get to wear civilian clothes sometimes. but you still suck. now you can come home after dark, but its around 10 or so. you can leave base anytime after class pretty much, but you have a liberty card that you have to sign out with so they can keep a tab on your ass. but atleast you dont have to wear your uniform fucking EVERYWHERE.

phase 3
    youre in. you should be able to get your car now. you will stand more watches, but you can pretty much do what the fuck you want, when you want. some bases give you a curfew during the week, others wont. depends on the installation. but phase 3 is golden for the weekends. go get a hotel room and fuck something. you dont have to come back until monday.

as for the classes, its gay. you sit there in one room pretty much all day. there is no going from class to class like high school or college. this is designed to give you the basic knowledge to go do some specific shit without majorly fucking up in the shortest time possible. you have to remember, all in all, you are a product. they want you in and out. dont expect it to be a WORLD of knowledge. you will learn more when you get to the fleet than A school will ever teach you.

it can be fun depending on your area. i was in pensacola. i lived in tampa. i went home every chance i got. so it worked out. you can make the best of it, or you can fucking hate life for 3 months. but its going to be a few weeks before you get much freedom.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  4. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

I beg to differ, you will learn alot in Pensacola.

I had to take leave to fly out to CA to get my car and drive back to Pcola. When I went through, we didn't have phases. We did have duty sections, so every 4th weekend, you couldn't leave the base. There will be musters, and cleaning duty. Oh, I almost forgot, you will have room inspections everyweek.

5. ImIrish

ImIrish New Member

depends on what you go through as to what you learn. i went through AD a school and it was a joke. unless they have changed it, there are always phases of liberty when in a school status. it just depends on if you a fleet returnee or a newbie as to which one you start out at. but yes, the duty sections are there, and yes room inspections happen on the regular

6. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

I went through as an AT.

oh, EYOB, STFU.

7. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

you wont learn shit in A school. it's to give you a basic overview of your rate and that is it. you'll forget most of it by the time you hit the fleet. most if it will not apply once you get to your boat. anyone who says otherwise works at a shitty command and doesn't do shit.

your real schooling will happen where ever you end up once you start doing your job.

8. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

Then how can you fail out of A school?

Looking at the class list on the navy website scares me a bit..

Physics??

9. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

You must have had a non-technical job, or a very easy one. My A & C school combined was like a year long. Actually, my second MOS was just as long.

10. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

physics...? what rate are you going for. if you go nuke there will be stuff like physics.. but those will be in your "c" schools (nuke is different anyways).

IT non-technical i guess yes. A school was 3 months long. "c" schools for specific systems you'll learn a lot (ie, not like 2735 which is just basic networking.. you'll learn theories, nothing useful in actual operation), but I dont care what rate you are, A school is just a broad overview of your job. It will "get your feet wet" in everything you should see, but not go in to detail about anything. i have NEVER seen a straight out of a-school kid that can do shit on a ship. ET's/FC's go to a c school for their specific system, that is where they learn how to actually do their job on the ship.

11. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

No shit, but saying you don't learn shit in A school is a bit of a stretch. My A school was like 7 months long. I guess it was just 7 months of dorm parties and debauchery. :rolleyes:

12. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

If you're looking at going in as a Nuke, I am one, so if you have any questions about that field I can probably answer them.
    BTW, the nuclear program has become a joke lately, The fleet is so undermanned that they hardly fail anybody anymore.

13. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

It's not.. but AT is not some magical special RATE (not MOS :squint:) that is different than any other technical rate in the Navy. A school is not there to teach you how to do your job, it is there to teach you about your job. C schools and OJT are how you learn your job. You could get away with never paying attention in class and doing 20 minutes of studying before each test in any field other than nuke and pass A school. If there were hot chicks in the Navy and they were in the coed barracks with you, and there were no inspections... be easier to compare it to college. But it's the military so you still have rules :wtc:

14. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

I know you don't learn the specifics of your job at A school, but quit saying you don't learn shit. You learn theories, formulas, etc.. on how and why stuff works. Sure you can learn how to do a task, but what's the point if you don't understand how it works, specially if to comes down to troubleshooting. I can have any boot swapping components all day long to replace a bad one. What if it's something else causing the component to fail. You're just wasting time and money by swapping out parts that will keep failing because you don't have a better understanding of why it may be failing. You don't know what an Ohm is? Voltage? Current? Resistance? Amplitude? Modulation? Wavelenght? Frequency? All of that and MORE is taught in A school.

15. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

Which most of is forgotten..

I don't need to know the system requirements for windows 2000, xp, server, etc.. because what I'm given meets them.

It's nice to have a couple people that know the "why's" behind stuff for the super hard troubleshooting that comes around once in a blue moon, but for daily tasks you don't need to know why, you need to know how, which isn't taught. Which is why I think A school is the biggest waste of time and they need to be reworked. A good 80% of the ships in the Navy are running XP/2003, rest are still in 2000/2000 but are in the process of or scheduled to be upgraded. They all run the same software and the same hardware, yet in A school you are taught to troubleshoot PC's that have no common load or any of the applications the fleet sees. It would be SIMPLE to fix this and actually teach knowledge that can be applied. Maybe it is just an IT thing, but I doubt it since every rate I see with boots coming onboard they all are clueless to how the actual system operates. And I know for a fact ET's learn jack shit on how to do their job in A school, however they at least are almost guarenteed a C school to learn a speciality before hitting the fleet.

16. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

I don't care if you need it or not. You saying you don't learn shit in A school is wrong.

17. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

ET's seem like an intense field but I base this on 30ish years ago. My dad got his GED in the Navy, became an ET and when done could do advance mathematics. I find that very impressive.

I wish I could be a nuke but I am really bad at Math. The job listing shows that ET's also maintain computer systems. Is there a job that is just IT? I am pretty damn good with computers but pretty bad at math. What sucks is I find anything relating to this field full of math.

18. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

You can become an IT (information systems technician).. however it is a merged rate of RM's (radiomen) and DP's (data processing) so you have a high chance of doing radio related stuff (voice/data comms) but could also work with the networks.

And NSX did you go blue to green or something? I find it hard to believe you're still in the Navy..

19. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

Regardless of what any one else tells you here or what you read you're not going to be using a lot of advanced math. You'll use basic electrical formulas for certain portions of your job, but that's just memorizing shit.

If you go ET you can go comms route, radar route, or "DS" (data systems used to be an old rate). Comms route you'll work on the comms gear that is operated by radiomen (IT's now). Gear that operates on pretty much the entire RF spectrum. It is broad, and you'll most likely specilize even further into a certain comms area (like SHF tech). Radar ET you'll be working on the various radars around the ship with the exception of some of the FC radars (they work on their own gear sometimes). Get to go aloft a lot, it's a lot of preventative maintenance. Data systems route are getting more and more rare, as the job of a computer hardware tech is one of the information systems technician now (IT).. there's still some out there, mostly on bigger ships and shore duty. On my last ship they were in the same division as the LAN guys since all they really did was fix hardware issues on computers we had.

ET is basically a "keep the technical stuff on the boat working for the mission" kind of rate. Spend most of your time doing maintenance and troubleshooting 20 year old gear that will probably never get updated or replaced.

A nice thing about ET's is you know what you're going to be doing. If you go to school and hold the SHF NEC and get billeted for that NEC you're going to work on that. In the IT field, there are computer NEC's and radio NEC's. Even if you go to a command billeted as "2735" which is the generic networking "C" school, there is a high chance you'll still end up in radio. Smaller ships the LAN and radio are merged into one division so you have to know both sides of the rate. Bigger ships they are seperated so you could spend 5 years working only on computers, and then at your next command get thrown in to the radio side. Pretty stupid, and one of the worst merging decisions the Navy has made since there is almost nothing in common in what the two rates did.

If you're good with computers though and that is what you want to do, and decided on the Navy (id personally go air force for anything technical nowadays), IT is a good route. If you genuinly show a high aptitude for computers, and express the desire to follow that route most of the time there will be no issue with you working on them. Be warned though, a lot of the job is simple help desk. Most of my day is spent just resetting peoples passwords they've forgotton, or fixing simple profile related issues that stem from using a retarded suite of applications the Navy overpaid for. It sounds wierd but the best part of my job is actually when I get called in on the weekend for a server crashing and I actually get to do something that is fun.

Oh, also look into CTN. A pure network security rate. You go in to either defense or offense paths. Defense you work on ensuring the networks of the ships you're assigned have up to date security patches, virus definitions, access lists, etc. Your job is to keep the enemy out. Offense is basically the opposite. If I was staying in I would definitly be going that route.

20. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

:bigthumb:

Wow thanks for the write up on that.

IT does sound good but is it full of programing?

Honestly, I would not mind doing help desk for the Navy. Fuck if you do it as a Civilian you make what 12 bucks an hour?

21. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

Pfft, Navy? haha
    No, I got it right the first time, and joined the Marine Corps. ;)

You're still full of shit if you think you don't learn anything in A school.

To the OP, no, A school is nothing like college. You actually have to be in class everyday, on time, all day long.

22. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

Never had a problem going to class and I am never late, ever. Just writing 8 page papers on Hamlet.

23. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

Oh, no point in even arguing then since you're absolutely clueless on the situation. Marine schools are WAY different than Navy schools, you actually get to learn shit. The marine "IT's" on our ship were 1000x better trained out of school than our guys. Only difference was they didnt do shit once they got there so had no opportunity to do OJT type stuff.

24. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

There's no programming. It's a pretty simple job, don't work a whole lot.

Make a little more than that in civilian.. friend makes $22/hr in Austin as entry level help desk.

25. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

But Marines go to some of the same schools with the Navy and the other services. In my class at Pensacola, there were 6 Marines, and the rest (10-15) were Navy.

Bottom line, all I'm arguing is you stating that you don't learn shit in A school.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.