Is a mac laptop a good choice for a pc developper?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by NCS, Aug 22, 2007.

1. NCS

NCS Active Member

I'm thinking of buying a mac laptop since i have discounts on mac, but i will be using it primarily as a PC. to develop i use visual studio, run a sql server, and IIS on my machine. will it do these jobs well in windows?

2. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Yes. The Macbook Pro is a powerhouse. The latest revision is the developer's notebook of choice for the PC game developer community.

And should you get bit by the OS X bug (lots of people do), you can run all that stuff at good speed in Parallels. Full screen, or windowed (per application).

I have done extensive SQL Server development in Parallels. Right now I'm running Altova Map Force in Parallels. I used to do GoToMeetings from Parallels (no OS X client for hosting meetings).

But if you want to boot straight windows, Boot Camp will let you. A friend of mine triple boots Linux, OS X and Windows. He develops in all three.

3. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Apple is the only operating system where people say "If you get hit with a common bug, it's ok you can just spend $100 on a program that will do what the operating system is advertised to do" and they don't care.

Yet they'll rant all day about Windows...

Can you do those things in Mac, yes. Will it work just as well in Windows, yes.

4. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Windows lacks Unix, which is a deal breaker for me. And I've never encountered what you're talking about so I have no response.

5. Lat

Lat New Member

I've had my Mac for over a year, how is parallels? I've been using bootcamp for the longest time, how's the speed of parallels? :o

6. JaJae

JaJae New Member

It's pretty damn good. Worth the money if you need to use both operating systems at the same time.

7. NCS

NCS Active Member

Lets say i install windows on mac.

will parallels and boot camp point to the same windows environment?

Here is a lits of exactly what i NEED the computer to do.
    Visual Studio
    SQL Server
    IIS
    Typical USB connectivity in windows (digicam, pocketpc, etc)
    Gaming would be nice too.

am i 100% compatible with this stuff?

8. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

No, parallels and boot camp would not point to the same windows environment.

You would want to do everything but gaming in parellels, and game in Boot Camp. Kinda like a stand alone console.

9. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

10. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

Yes it does point to the same environment. You install Windows with boot camp, then with parallels, you can set it up to use the boot camp partition to use that environment, I used to use it

11. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

Parallels runs great.

I use it for those damn office apps ms wont port over (Visio & Project). And yes you can either use bootcamp or parallels to access it.

12. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

13. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You don't want to boot the same installation of Windows both as a real machine (via BootCamp) and as a virtual machine (via Parallels). The virtual machine will appear to have different hardware, and it will confuse the hell out of the drivers that Windows uses when it's running as a real machine.

If you want a gaming install of Windows, do it using BootCamp. If you want a word-processing install of Windows, do it using Parallels. Don't mix the two.

14. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

You sure about that? I'm sure they have this worked out.

15. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If by some miracle Parallels actually simulates the exact hardware your Mac is equipped with, then there wouldn't be a problem. However, that would require a LOT of different versions of Parallels.

16. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Nah, there's a helper program that handles drivers in Parallels. It must handle this.

17. skitcy

skitcy uhm title! ok

The question was are you sure like have you tested it? I doubt any company would release something that will half ruin an OS install

To the original poster if you don't compile too frequently then use parallels for compile and pick up a copy of textmate for editing

18. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

He's never used it, and I have only used v. 2.0.

19. CyberBullets

It works fine to boot from Parallels or Bootcamp. FFS, I do it almost daily.

20. NoLiving

NoLiving New Member

It works great.

21. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Huh? When Windows is booting wouldn't it just probe and find different hardware, and so load different drivers?

I used to use rPath Linux only, and had a bunch of servers setup. Then I wanted to migrate to Ubuntu, so I installed it, installed Xen from Ubuntu, and I could run my PRECISE rPath Linux installation along side Ubuntu, reading and writing to it's partition. Works excellently. There's no reason I can't still boot into my rPath Linux installation from GRUB and expect it to work as it always did (and as it does currently via visualization), except that I changed some networking settings and made /etc/fstab changes.

Oh, wait. Is the problem with Windows that it'll notice hardware changes and so invalidate your key (or whatever it does)? Well, I could see how that would be a problem...

I wonder how Parallels gets around that? Intel Mac hardware probably doesn't differ that much from what it emulates in the VM? It's probably much easier to solve that than it'd be for e.g. Xen on GNU/Linux, which needs to run on many more different types of computers, with WAY different configurations, and it can't emulate too many of them (I would think).

I would actually be interested in this for when it comes to testing my package manager in Windows. Is visualizing any version of Windows even legal? Must be or Parallels users are breaking the law (can't be that). What versions?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
  22. CyberBullets

23. NCS

NCS Active Member

What do you mean if you don't compile too frequently? When i'm coding i compile all the time...

I do web developping and so my computer is the web server itself, sql server, etc...

What it boils down to is this: IS IT A FULL BLOWN PC if i need it to be? For me, buying a Dell XPS or Sony VAIO or the Mac is the same when it comes down to the dollars. They all have retardedly similar specs. But the mac is prettier, has a few small advantages, and the Mac OS is an added gadget i can tinker with. Lets imagine i want to use this in windows ALL THE TIME. why would i NOT buy a macbook pro?

24. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Of course its a full-blown PC. Its what all the best developers have, or are moving to. You wouldn't buy one if you can't afford one.

25. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

PC MAGAZINE called it the clear choice in PC notebooks. PC FUCKING MAGAZINE!? Who woulda thought that possible...

"Apple's Macintosh is becoming the most logical choice for those looking to buy a new computer." --PC Magazine