Is a hard drive fan necessary?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Lateralus, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

I'm going to have 3 80mm case fans along with a PCI slot fan mainly for keeping my 9800PRO cool, is a fan for my hard drive something I really need to get?

2. MattIROC

MattIROC has a semi nice av. changed due to rules :(

i wouldnt get one unless you have a 10k rpm drive.. i hear those tend to run warm...

3. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

I think any more even the 10k rpm drives dont get too hot unless multiple drives are stacked closely.

And my 9600 Pro runs very very cool with only the stock fan...why all the extra cooling? (OCing I presume)

4. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

I'm not going to OC at first, maybe sometime in the future though. I'm running a P4 3.0E (Prescott), and I heard it runs a lot hotter than others, plus I heard the 9800Pro runs pretty hot too. So I figured sense I'm shelling out a lot of money for this computer that I might as well keep everything working for as long as I can. I'm only going to run one hard drive a WD 250G Caviar 7200RPM 8MB cache. I can pick it up for $200 retail at Best Buy, so I thought that was a pretty good deal.

5. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

6. Up All Night

Up All Night I might sleep all day

Try the Antec Sonata case. I'm buying one of those soon, i'll let you know how it is

7. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

I was going to get the Sonata but decided against it because I didn't really want a door on it. I got another Antec, which basically has the same ventilation system in it. I'll probably end just sticking with the 3 80mm case fans I already have and I'm putting a Zalman heatsink/fan on my processor. Hopefully I'll be ok with all of that.