is a 250 too small?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by zyg0te, Nov 24, 2005.

1. zyg0te

zyg0te I've made a huge mistake.

I have limited riding experience (about 3 hours on a ex500), and just a CA M-permit right now.

There are a few deals around here for a 98-02 ex250 for around 1k-1.6k which is right around my price range. Do you guys think that a 250 would be too small a bike to get as a first bike (plan on keeping it around 2 years)?

2. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

I have a 200cc scooter, and it's been great for a first ride. Enough power to cruise at 75-80 on the highway, and more than enough for around town. I've only had it 6 months, so who knows how it will be in another year or two, but I'm loving it now. 21 hp and 350 lb is good, and I'm sure a 250cc bike will be even better. Of course, I'm already looking at what to get next, probably a Suzuki V-Strom DL650, or something similar.

3. Frequency

Frequency New Member

with a 250 you will be able to get a great feel for riding and be much more comfortable when you move up. only down fall is you won't be able to group ride too well

4. eck

eck New Member

You can never start out too small :) That will be a great way to take alot of the pressue of riding off of you so you're able to enjoy it for what its worth.

5. Jagrmaister

Jagrmaister New Member

Yes. Too small.

6. HMan

HMan grossly deformed

Depends on what you want to do with it. Do you have any curvy roads around? 250 is awesome for that. Commuting in town? Great for that. Highway riding (55mph highway)? Do good for that. Interstate? Not so great.

7. zyg0te

zyg0te I've made a huge mistake.

I guess the main reason for it will be simply to learn how to ride and improve skills. I would be taking it home occasionally (75 miles on highway), but for the most part it would be to get to school and work in city traffic.

I'm afraid I might outgrow the bike too fast

8. eck

eck New Member

Then you may consider an SV650. V-twin with about 65-70 hp. I know alot of girls have bought those to learn on. Alot of guys that are getting into racing get those, too. They're solid bikes and pretty easy to get ahold of.

9. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

If you get a decent deal on the bike and take care of it you can always resell it after 6 mos or a year for what you paid for it.

10. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You'll feel bored with the 250 pretty quick, around here you can usually find ex500's in the same price range that'de be a better option.. I had to ride a ninja250 for a friend who just bought it, fucking gutless had no balls when i was merging onto the parkway, look for a ex500 or try to save up more for an SV

11. V!

V! New Member

I started on a 600

I would be pretty bored with a 250, in fact, I've never even rode one :run:

12. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

If you've never ridden one, how do you know you'd get bored?

They are light, reasonably quick, light, fun, did I mention light?

Its like riding a fast bicycle and getting 70mpg in the process.

13. crunchy_black

crunchy_black OT Supporter

In Most states of Australia legally you have to be on a 250CC or smaller motorbike for 13months.

I currently ride a Kawasaki ZZR250.
    Its fine for everything except wheelies and going really fast. mine tops out at 170 KM/H it drags off the average car at the lights no worries
    I've ridden an 05 R6 and that was pretty scary.

250's good for keeping your license, alot safer for yourself also.

But dammit i want a faster bike. 600 or 1000 !!!!!!
    Yes, it does suck abit when you go on group rides as its harder to keep up.
    Also overtaking cars is alot more dangerous as well.. I have taken alot of risks trying to keep up wth people =/

14. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

to be honest, i started on a 600, im glad i didnt get the ex250 (which what i originally was gonna get)....but do what you think is best for you, id rather make the mistake of buying a 250 and not like it but build up experience, than to go straight to a 600 and get seriously hurt...better be safe than sorry

15. FlameRedXJ

FlameRedXJ Professional Lurker!

I wish they would do that in the U.S, you should have to start out on a small bike. For the same reason that a person just getting their auto license shouldn't be starting out in a ferrari.

16. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

I started on a 600, and I am glad I did. I think I would get bored with the 250 fairly quickly, but I also do alot of long rides on my 600.

Someone made a point earlier, if you buy a 250 reasonably priced, and keep it in good shape, you should be able to resell it without losing any money.

17. V!

V! New Member

I'm addicted to speed

I get bored driving a car that has less then 300HP, sounds terrible, but i know that I would be bored on a 250......:hsd:

18. HMan

HMan grossly deformed

Yeah, puny 600s bore me as well. I feel your pain. :sadwavey:

19. rider

rider New Member

I have an R6, but at Femmoto this year, I got to try out a 250 for kicks. It lacks a lot in power, but it's so light and fun and flickable, I was still able to catch up to some of the slower people on the 600s in the turns. You'll probably get bored of it sometime, but it seems like a GREAT bike to learn on and get comfortable with. It seems like it will still be fun in the canyons, but I'd be a little wary of it on the freeways. If you're going to be commuting with it, then you might wanna think about a slightly bigger bike, like a 500 or an older 600.
    [​IMG]

20. Imagine

Imagine New Member

I love how everyone can bash the 250 when they have never had the chance to ride them. I owned one for a while. It is a great starter bike, or in town commuter.

Pros:
    -It's light and flickable, it will eat up the twisties.
    -Easy to maneuver.
    -Low seat height inspires confidence.
    -Peppy (but not FAST.)
    -Very Forgiving.
    -Easy to resell.
    -It is still more then capable of out running most stock cars.
    -You can find them cheap.
    -Decent on insurance.
    -Great on Gas.
    -It's fairly comfortable.
    -Proven reliability.
    -Replacement OEM Parts galore. (Has been around for about 20 years.)

Cons:
    -Its light, you will get blow around by strong winds or wind blasts from larger vehicles.
    -You won't win many drag races with it.
    -It can start to feel cramped after longer rides.
    -It sounds like it is working hard on Interstates.
    -Aged Technology and looks.
    -Your ignorant friends may laugh at you for buying a "little 250" and not a "real" bike. (I have more respect for riders that start small, then morons that have to have the biggest bike they can find to start on.)

All in all, the 250R is more then capable bike for a beginner. Put a year or so on it to polish your skills and get use to riding. When you get to the point where you feel like you want a bigger bike, and can do it financially sell the 250R and upgrade. If you bought a used one, you can usually get most of your money back out of it.

Of course, a good used 500R or GS500 are also always great options for starters.

21. Tom93R1

Tom93R1 Member

IF you have a 75 mile highway ride to get home on occasion the 250 will not be something you will want to take on that trip. One thing about a motorcycle that can help improve your odds of not getting creamed on the highway is the great acceleration so you can pass cagers almost instantly, a 250 loses that advantage and you can end up stuck behind a semi or big truck which is not a safe place to be at all. To be safe you want to travel at slightly over the flow of traffic so you are overtaking everybody (Hurt report and my personal experience), on a 250 cruising the highway that is not always possible and alot more suprises can sneak up from behind.

If you will just use it for commuting to work, school, etc on surface streets or have some local twisties with little traffic on them then by all means get the 250 and sell it in 6 months or a year for what you paid. If you will have any highway driving at all I strongly suggest holding out for at least the EX500.

22. V!

V! New Member

I don't know if that was you agreeing with me, or taking a stab at the fact i ride a 600.......:squint:

23. HMan

HMan grossly deformed

Neither. You were talking about being addicted to speed and knocking on a 250. I was just pointing out a bit of irony because so many knock 600s in regards to speed when they ride liter bikes.

24. V!

V! New Member

Yeah, I ride alot of canyons so the 600 is doing me fine for now

Once i get out of school and can actually afford track days, I'm gonna get an R1 for my street bike