GUN Is a .22LR good for anything against a human?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Reverend, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Reverend

Reverend OT Supporter

We saw someone rapid-firing from their .22 pistol at the range :mamoru:, and it got us wondering....

If you pepper an attacker with 10 rounds of .22LR from a pistol, is that going to stop them, or just piss them off? I can't see it being very effective unless you happen to catch their eyeball or trachea with one of the rounds.

Does the .22LR have any practical anti-human purpose?

We're talking standard .22LR rounds, no magnum or anything.

2. halflife78

halflife78 OT Supporter

I am going to assume that if an attacker is coming down my hall and I hit them with 23 rounds from my gsg-5 they are going to slow down.

PSA: My gsg-5 isn't loaded in my bedroom, however my wife has a FN57 which everyone equates to a 22lr. :mamoru:

3. cantankerously

cantankerously Active Member

Would you want to get shot 10 times with Stingers?

4. It depends on how lucky you get. The only sure way to stop an attacker immediately is to do enough damage to the CNS that their brain can't send signals to their muscles. It's also possible to do enough physical damage to that they are limited in their mobility, and confined to where they are, or where they can pull themselves. A shot that shatters a pelvis will do this, they will be incapable of walking. Still, if they have a gun, or happen to get a hold of you as they fall, you can be in trouble. Another scenario is where you create massive bleeding. Say you fire a round that totally destroys the heart. They are going to die, but they still have some time where they can act willfully.

Based on my guessing, 10 rounds COM could easily result in death, but I doubt you'd see rapid incapacitation. A lucky headshot might help you out, but that's easier said than done.

5. Fixed it for you. And yeah, it shoots a similar caliber bullet, with the same mass, at the same speed.

6. Reverend

Reverend OT Supporter

Apples and oranges, man. That comparison is silly, but that's for a different thread.

7. Of course not, but what does that have to do with anything? :hsugh:

8. halflife78

halflife78 OT Supporter

I know, I am just stirring up trouble since everyone thinks getting shot by a 22lr, 22 magnum, FN57, or a 9mm is like getting stung by an angry yellow jacket whos flower you just stomped.

9. It's kind of unfair to the 9mm to group it in with those other cartridges.

Nobody claims it would be fun to get shot with a .22 or 5.7, the point is that when you are choosing a cartridge for SD you want something that is at least likely to lead to rapid incapacitation.

10. halflife78

halflife78 OT Supporter

I am just trolling.:mamoru:

Serious note, we ended up going with the FN57 for my wife because of all the pistols she shot, she never could handle the recoil. So we ended up buying the 57 (without shooting it and gambling on it) and she loves it. She feels 100% comfortable with it, has put several hundred rounds through it, and took her NRA pistol class with it.

So at the end of the day for me I would prefer to have her with 60 rounds of FN57 she is 100% comfortable handling than using something like my FNP-9mm she can shoot but doesn't like at all due to recoil.

I still owe her a 17hmr rifle from Savage for buying my ar-15 awhile back, that was the deal.:o

11. smartypants

smartypants New Member

Thugs die from .22 POS Lorcins erry day.

12. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Anything is possible if in the hands of a skilled shooter. While the 22lr is a poor choice for a defensive weapon it is popular with assassins because of the small size of the pistol and how easy it is to suppress.

13. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

more people die from 22lr than anything else, mostly due to their numbers and how lazy people are with them

I'd argue that your average person can put more rounds on target with a .22 and on average might actually stop more people in a real shootout.

14. I think it would be prudent to look into how long it takes the average person, who after being shot with a .22 dies, to die after being shot. Also, while I'm not saying that more people don't die from .22s than anything else, I'd like to see where exactly that statistic is from. I've heard it many times, but never seen any citations.

15. Hibidi-Shibidi

Hibidi-Shibidi New Member

I thought that the velocity of the round had some serious injury capabilities too.

From what I have always been told, it has enough speed to go in, but not enough mass and velocity to come out, so once it penetrates, it bounces around inside the cavity. I would think it would be true for softer tissue like the brain. Bouncing off the inside of the skull makes sense, but I don't know about center mass.

Edit: I think it all summed up to the theory that it would not break through bone but bounce off in whatever direction the ricochet happened, presumably through more soft tissue.

16. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

i dip my 22 lr rounds in cyanide!

17. SNDP

SNDP New Member

Just ask all those people killed in Finland and VT tech by the shooter wielding a .22. 9 in finland. People aren't really that tough, we're not all angel dusted psychos that need their limbs blown off to make us slow down. You punch holes in people, people can die. I was a paramedic in Alaska and Portland and saw plenty of people dead from .22s. You get shot in the neck right, or anywhere with an artery, you are done in a minute. You are down as soon as you lose blood pressure which can be about 10 seconds if an artery is hit and gushing. Your pelvis is FULL of really huge blood vessels. Your chest if FULL of really big blood vessels, slip a .22 in between your ribs into one of those babies and you can be as good as done by either bleeding out or clotting up a vessel that takes blood to of from your heart or lungs.

18. T0nyGTSt

T0nyGTSt New Member

if you seen someone hit in the chest with .22 and they bleed out into their lungs... how does it feel to drown in your own blood?

19. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Just like that movie Assassins, huh.

20. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

They kill just fine. The only problem is that unless you land a very lucky shot in a very critical area, the bad guy will still have time to do some serious damage before he bleeds out...

21. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

It is somewhere in the FBI's UCR tables. I used it for a project a few years ago. The short is the .22s kill about twice as many people than and other single caliber. I have a feeling a large number of them are domestics, gang related and other crimes that the media doesn't cover as well. Also I think it is one of the most implicated in ND shootings, since many people do not keep the same safety with it.

I would have to say that between a .45 I was not familiar with and my ruger mk II I would take the ruger in a bad situation. I know that I can make real small groups with it, and it can knock over steel at 25 yards.

22. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I have no idea where this idea of bouncing around in the head came from, but come on, use some common sense. This isn't Loony Toons, physics doesn't work like that.

On another note, yes tons of people die from .22LR but how many of these cases are people bleeding out and dying before they get to the hospital or whatever. The purpose of self defense is in incapacitation as soon as. possible. You can still use a gun or knife while you're bleeding out with your lungs or a major artery punctured.

23. Joe Somebody

Joe Somebody OT Supporter

This is what I've always been told. A .22 is more likely to travel through the chest cavity causing more damage whereas a more powerful round is more likely to be a through and through.

There was an OTer that shot himself accidently with a .22. Doctors told him it would've been better to have shot himself with a larger caliber. Damage would've been less extensive.

24. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

realistically speaking if you went straight for a failure drill it would work.

25. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Executions are different than defensive shots, I've not read much about the finland incident VT survivors reported Cho walked through classrooms checking for survivors and shooting them again in the head. Don't forget that we're also looking for incapacitation, not lethality. Several students might have bled to death laying on the floor waiting for emergency care while the police were waiting to enter the building or the emts were dealing with all the other wounded, that doesn't relate to making the guy swinging a bat at your head stop right now.

no

I'd like to see the data if you can find it again. http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2007/offenses/expanded_information/index.html The homicide data for 2007 doesn't seem to include any caliber data.