GUN Is a 1911 a good first handgun?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Fire Sauce, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

The only handgun I've ever shot before is a .380, a Femaru my grandfather took from a German in WWII.

[​IMG]

It was really small, and the .380 has a really snappy recoil, which I didn't like.

I was thinking about a G19 or something else compact in 9mm. (I have tiny girl hands :greddy: ), but what about a 1911? Everyone says the .45 has a much slower push as opposed to a snap.

2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

First you will probably want some lessons because you're going to develop a flinch even with a 9mm if you aren't careful. That said 9mm is far cheaper to shoot than .45 and would be my choice based on that alone. Practice is only good if you can afford it.

3. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

The first handgun I bought is a Ruger Super Blackhawk (.44 mag).
    My second handgun is a 1911. I love it. I don't have a flinch. Maybe because I dry-fire it a fair amount for practice, which I think helps. :)

4. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

My friend got one of those for x-mas a couple years ago but traded it on a new shotgun. The dick never did let me shoot it either. :down:

5. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

My Colt 1911 was my first handgun :dunno:

6. PUREVIL

PUREVIL More Money Than Brains Croo

1911s are good and bad for a first gun IMO. They require more maintenance some noobs aren't willing or ready to put into a gun. Based on that alone I tell noobs to try out glocks, XDs, Brettas, or USPs. Glocks are nice because they require little maintenance if any, but some dont like the grip. XD's are as nice as glocks with different grips, and best of them all are USP but most expensive. Some dont like the double action trigger on USPs though. Its really a toss up IMO.

That being said if your willing to put in some required maintenance time then get a 1911 I love them probably the most with the USP second.