Is 78,000 Mileage car worth buying??

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by SpunkyXL, Aug 21, 2003.

1. SpunkyXL

SpunkyXL OT Supporter

I need a new a car for school.. I really wanted this JETTA, its a 2000 GL Silver Jetta (78,000 Mileeage) which is going for 8,000 Dollars.
    (My price range is around 6-8G also) I looked up the VIN # and its clean, no damages or anything. The car seems to be in good condition too. This car is only about 2-3 years old, and there's already 78k mileage. I know its all Highway Mileage, wat you guys think? It comes with a 90 Warranty, and I can do 3 year warranty for an extra 1g..

2. GoGophers

GoGophers New Member

Underpowered gutless engine comes to mind. That is the 8v correct?

Oh and I wouldn't worry too much about the milage, especially with a newer car.

3. KERS

KERS OT Supporter

yes, it has the 8v 4cyl inside...115hp rated @ crank..have fun, i had one, very, VERY slow, but great on gas.

4. daft punk

daft punk New Member

I would get a used Volvo 850 Turbo instead, its safer, faster, and quite cheap to repair, not to mention rather reliable

5. MC Hammer

MC Hammer OT Supporter

For 8 grand buy like a 96 vr6 gti or glx , mk4 crossflows are the pits.

6. MB300E87

MB300E87 Active Member

not sure about BMWs but i do know about high mileage vws, audis, and MBs.

most of the time i would say stay away from any high mileage VAG product. high mileage older MBs (like from the 80's) around 100,000 if taken care of feel as good as the day they were bought.

dunno about BMWs though. i assume they hold up as well as 1980's MBs. anyone care to educate a brotha?

7. JizJizJiz

JizJizJiz I love hot girls.

Mileage isn't really as big of a concern as two things, in order:

1. Owner - the way the owner took care of the car defines its life. Bar none.
    2. Generation - While cars may be only one year apart and have similar mileage, the generation of the cars differ greatly, and thus their life will as well. Usually, the newer the generation is better, at least when speaking from a mechanical/electrical perspective (there are a few exceptions, such as the electronics on the E65 7 series compared to the E38). Looks, however, is a personal issue.

I personally bought my 95 Legend at 120,000+ miles. I got it for $8,000, under the book value. She's still running great today, with almost 130,000 miles, without repairs.

8. JizJizJiz

JizJizJiz I love hot girls.

Yeah. The old MBs have wonderful quality. So do the BMWs. However, the quality on the new MBs have gone down dramatically (I have yet to hear about a trouble-free M-Class, or a S-Class without ABC issues). BMW is still doing well, other than the gibberish iDrive problems caused by crappy software.

9. jae

jae New Member

my 2.0 2000 Golf has 70,065 miles on it. Its going damn strong, but of course, slow. Thats why I got something else to make up for the lack of speed.

10. FryingPan

FryingPan Certified Thread Killer

A2 Jetta in decent condition (1500) + VR6 or 1.8T swap (3-4000) + everything else you may need = badass.

11. MrJasey

MrJasey OT Supporter

that car isnt worth it. get a used hybrid hatch or something instead. ive seen those go for 5g's-8g's depending on if it is the B16, b18c, h22a, or turbo motors

12. Volkl

Volkl New Member

Lots of cars get expensive to own if you go to the shop. Learn to wrench yourself, save a ton of money. Nothing major, but if you can do oil changes, brakes, and belts yourself, you will save unheard of amounts of money, especially on imports. Personally, I agree, as long as the car has been taken care of, milage isn't a factor, but I don't know about VWs. How long are you planning on keeping it? They have low build quality as they are built in Mexico. I say get a Volvo or an MB. They will be a little older, but with equivilent miles in that price range [say early 90's, late 80's]. They are solid cars though. If you want something newer, look towards a mid 90's MB C220 or C230. I have a 97 C230 with 160,000 miles on it, and have never had a problem [owned it since 12,000]. I also have a Volvo 745 turbo. Bought it at 140,000miles, now at 153,000miles, had one small problem but other than that, just normal maintenace. Also, the Volvo has some unexpected legs and is a five speed so it is incredibly fun to drive. Well, good luck with whatever you decided.

13. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky 06 08 33 35 36

I can't say anything about high mileage BMW's, all of ours have needed the standard high mileage repairs (water pump, oxy sensor).

Our Camry is 255k, no problems whatsoever.