GUN Is .45 a BAD choice for my first handgun?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Furner, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Furner

Furner New Member

Ive shot plenty of guns, rifles, handguns, shotguns. This Xmas im gonna be campaigning for a handgun, if .45, I will probably go for 1911. I have shot .45, and wasnt blown away by the recoil, so should I be ok with one???

Its kinda a stupid question, but Id rather hear now if this is a mistake than hear it when I post brag pics of my gun.

2. itchiban

itchiban Guest

It really depends on you. I just recently bought my first handgun also, but I have been shooting guns since I was a kid. So caliber didnt affect my decision in which gun to buy, as I was accustom to many different types. What I would really consider is what you want to do with your gun. Do you want to use it as your primary for Home defense? If so, is not being "blown away" by the recoil of a .45 a better decision than being accurate with a 9mm? thats what you have to ask yourself. If this is a range gun then I dont think it matters what you buy, as long as you are happy with it. If you plan on carrying concealed, remember that .45 are usually bigger frame guns and harder to conceal.

my .02 :)

3. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

the Only downside to .45 is the price of ammo.

the real draw to gettin a 9mm as your first handgun is the that the price of ammo is about half that of .45acp.

you can shoot twice as much practice ammo for the same amount of money and become that much better.

4. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

As mentioned above, .45 is going to cost you a couple bucks more/100 rounds when compared to 9mm. However, I don't think it's a bad idea at all to get a 1911 at any time. As far as recoil, in a 1911, you have enough weight to make it a comfy gun to shoot. It's when you get into polymer with a .45acp that I would not like. Personally, I prefer 9mm in all polymer. I say go with the 1911 :bigthumb:

5. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

I also think .45 is an excellent choice. I personally like my Glock 21, but I hear the Colt is passable as well. ;)

6. Pure Energy

Pure Energy Guest

My USP .45 was my first handgun, mostly because I shot it better than any of the 9mm's I tried!

7. Furner

Furner New Member

Thats my only fear. I can go into wallyworld and get a whole months worth of 9mm range ammo with one weeks paycheck...not so with .45acp

8. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

how much are you looking to spend? its hard to find a nice 1911 for under $650, while you can get a great 9mm polymer gun for $400.

9. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Guest

not everyone wants polymer :)
    You can buy a series 70 colt for something like 600 in nice shape, a combat commander a little less, but stick to series 70.. I picked up a springfield trophy match back in the day for something like 700 new, I'm sure it could be had for 600 today, decent pistol, a lot of nice hawrdware for the money, but haven't seen many around of late

Pick up a cheap dillon square deal b press, you'll be in 45acp ammo up to your eyes, I used to shoot 200 rounds by meself in one trip to the range back in highschool, the cost wasn't even a factor. I shoot cheap cast, unjacketed bullets, think I paid something like 20 bucks for 1000. Plus you can shoot a nice, light load. But reasearch this well before just cutting back on the powder weight...

10. Furner

Furner New Member

I dont mind a polymer.
    I might need to check into plunking down the $$$ for handgun reloading equip. I do shotgun reloading, so I already have the know-how, just not the materials.

11. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Guest

the dillon progressive presses are GREAT. I wouldn't (and can't on mine..) churn out rifle rounds that I expected great accuracy out of on it, but for handguns I have no problems. I'm slow and it takes me an hour to do 100 rounds, compared to an hour to do 20 rifle cases on a single station press (I take my time though)

I can't get to dillon's website from here, but I think the square deal is a bit over 200, 200-300 anyway. You probably have a powder scale, add one set of pistol dies and you're basiclaly in business (I think it might even come with one caliber for free, but can't go check, sorry)

12. Aeyeaws

Aeyeaws Guest

the .45 slug has less fatiguing recoil. the heavy, slow slug allows you to shoot more before accuracy falls off. narrow grip angle on gov. model is best for me.

13. Alerin

Alerin Ruiner

Get a .44 pussy! :)

14. Car54

Car54 Member

I buy 50 rds of .45 at walmart for $8... thats expensive, but I'm not gonna go broke shooting 300-500 rounds in a weekend of playing. Ive all but quit running massive quantities thru it, and usually only do 50 rounds every couple months to just have some fun.. I trust the gun now, as its never had a single misfire, ever, in at least 3000 rounds.

.45's are great... go for it!

15. kIwin

kIwin Guest

It totally depends on what you will be using it for. Will you be plinking only? Punching paper? Home defense? Concealed carry?

If you are plinking, I would go for a nice .22LR pistol, or a cheaper 9mm, since the ammo isnt so expensive.

For home defense, .45 is more suitable then a smaller caliber, with JHP rounds.

They are great for concealed carry, since they put out maximum stopping power, and you can get them in most popular models and types. I believe there are compact 1911's and compact glocks as well. There are also tons of other companies who make compact .45's.

16. zoomer289

zoomer289 Guest

you might also want to look at the TAURUS line. I have a PT945. nice shooter,black frame,gold trim ,and rosewood grips. Around my area , the Taurus's run in the 350.to 500 range. they come in variouse calibers and frame sizes. not a true 1911 type though, was told its based on the Browning High Power action. owned this gun for about 4 years now and have never had a problem. my $.02

17. jrmy

jrmy Guest

NO, good cal.

18. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Guest

oh jesus christ, did you seriously just reccomend a taurus? BAN!

19. sohcjaxneon

sohcjaxneon Guest

My first handgun is a Para Ordnance P14.45. I love it. I have small hands and even with the Hogue grips on it it handle's well. Came with two 10 round mags also. If your shooting wal-mart 230g ball crap out of it the recoil is quite noticeable but I shot about 250 rounds of 200g lswc out of it yesterday. It's had about 1000-1500 rounds through it and never had a problem. Ever. Just my .02

20. Furner

Furner New Member

I actually decided on a 9mm because I need to work on my handgun control before I step up to .45. I am also considering enlistment, so my handgun choice isnt going to be as important to me at the moment.

21. wickedsprint

wickedsprint Guest

.45 was my first handgun, they are pretty easy to shoot in the heavier 1911 configs.

22. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Get a .22 mag...I would NOT want to get shot with one of those fuckers. Shot onf yesterday and it tore the shit out of a milk jug