SRS Is 23 too old to start attending a college?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by schmitty101, Oct 17, 2009.

1. schmitty101

schmitty101 You might remember me from such films as "Dig your

Long story short I fucked up quite a bit after high school. I waster 3 years not doing anything, my life was a mess, etc. I really have my shit together now and my life is on track.

I know I can attend a university, but I also want to go out and party and have fun. I'm 21 now and started attending a local community college this fall. By the time i'm done with my 2 year pre requisistes i'll be 23 years old. I'm not sure what college i'm going to go to, but I fell like at 23, i'm gonna be a little older than most of the people there...IE: I'll be hangin out with lots of 18-20 year old freshman that want to party too. I'll be experience the college life for the first time just like they are and I'm afraid i'll be the older guy.

Any thoughts?

2. johan

johan Active Member

You're (only) 21 now? Dude, enroll asap.

No one will even know you're 21. Hell, at my uni, there was everything from 18-30's all piled in there together. Granted, the vast bulk of undergrads were 18-22, the usual age range, but no one will really know/care you're 2 years older, unless you make it obvious.

Go. Go now. It can and should be a golden period of your life, one filled with good times and awesome, cool chicks.

3. schmitty101

If you were me would you finish up your pre-requisites at the local community college for 2 years in order to save money? Or, would you just try and enroll in a university asap to start having fun and living the college life?

4. johan

johan Active Member

Do you have the pre-reqs to enter uni now?

With regard to "having fun and living the college life"... remember: you're at uni to study and grab that degree.

Don't make the mistake of getting shitfaced all the time.

Some people slip up and get bounced out of uni, and then the music abruptly stops, and its damn hard to get back on the train again.

Also, wrap it up. There will be plenty, and I do mean PLENTY of girls there -- frankly that was probably the main reason for going....so wrap it up.

5. schmitty101

No, I don't. I just started attending and it's gonna take me until spring of 2011 to finish my pre requisites. I'll be 23 by then.

I will keep my grades on track, that is priority number 1. Party/fun/girls is number 2.

As for the comment about the girls....is college really a time where everyone gets laid? I've heard that realistically most people just go back to their dorms alone at the end of the night. For someone like me who lacks social skills and still kinda hasn't came out of his shell, I imagine it will be like that for me. Any advice on how to change this?

6. Bella

Bella New Member

I'm 24 and starting from the ground up, I think your fine to start now.

7. schmitty101

What do you mean your starting from the ground up?

8. HatSee

HatSee Active Member

From the bottom... As in possibly upgrading prior to enrolling, or enrolling fresh.

My friends mother enrolled when she was 45, finished her civil engineering and did just fine. Age really doesn't matter for school, just go for it.

9. johan

johan Active Member

There is no other time in your life when you will be wandering around a huge property with between 15,000 to 20,000 girls, aged 18-25, who are also wandering around with flexible schedules and lots of free time on their hands.

College dating, like college itself, is largely what you make of it.

Everything is, literally, laid out for you to partake. How often you go out/go home alone is completely up to you. Just make the most of your time there ;)

I still remember lining up as a new freshman to buy textbooks. The lines were probably 100's long.

It was a real eye-opening experience to not put out any effort, yet still chat to over a dozen cute girls within a few minutes, and get invited to a beer garden with a couple of them afterward.

Good times, good times.

And since you're more the shy type, reach out to other people. I'm talking about more than just girls here.

College is the time most guys make and cement friendships that last the rest of their lives.
    If you follow Asylum much, you'll see that it's harder to make new friends once you get out into the real world.

10. schmitty101

So how was college for you? Did you mess around with lots of chicks? Did you party your ass and still get your degree and get a job afterwards?

What would you say college taught you? Did you learn valuable social skills that allow you to connect with people most places you go?

And how old are you now btw?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  11. johan

johan Active Member

College was great. Girls were plentiful.

As I said, imagine another place where there are thousands of 18-25 girls walking around all over the place.

My uni had about 30k undergrads. Half of those are female.
    You do the math. Imagine a better setup. I sure can't...

I had a great time at school -- just be sure to keep your priorities straight. You'll be hurting severely if you're one of these fools that goes overboard and gets ejected from uni.

As for what college taught me? :rofl:
    To me college is a time of change.
    To get out from under your parents wing, to stand tall and find your worth and your place in the world.
    To attend some genuinely interesting classes, and of course, endure some really crappy ones.
    It's a time to meet good buddies -- still friends to this day.

And of course, it's a time to (finally) meet girls. On your own terms. And, as an adult.

You will never find such a vast assortment all gathered together, ever again in your life. If you're not the partying type :dunno: well, that's up to you.
    But the fact remains, college is a dating heaven in terms of selection/choice, ease of access, and frequency of access (think dorms...)

If you're unable to access all of this bounty due to personal issues, :dunno: what can I tell you.

As I said, it's all what you make of it.

Someone can lay out a massive buffet in front of you...but it's still up to you to step up and dig in.

This is true of college, and true of life, in general, as well.

I'm 37 and well employed, btw.

12. schmitty101

This makes me jealous. I'm glad college rocked for you. I'm worried that i'll go and I'll just end up sitting in my dorm like a hermit all day. The main reason I want to go is because I'd love to get out of my house and I want to go through a fun time. I'm sick of my little town, and I'm sick of watching re-runs on tv on friday/saturday nights while I'm 21 and should be living it up....it really makes me feel pathetic how most people my age are experiencing what life has to offer and i'm a lonely couch potatoe.

I'm currenty seeing a couselor at my community college. I'm going to discuss this with him and i'll bring up my concerns and see what he has to say. True, college is what you make of it. But if I feel I won't make anything out of it then why should I go? Maybe i'll take some anti-depressants for a while, or maybe your life will just change the first week you attend your university.

13. +(ll.ll)+

+(ll.ll)+ New Member

I have classmates that are 26+

14. BoomBoomBoy

BoomBoomBoy Guest

Actually 23 is a great age. You've had a little time to develop some thoughts on what you want to do for a living.

Many leaving HS and immediately enrolling in college don't.

15. Dodger Blue

Dodger Blue OT Supporter

23 is def not too young.

16. gkremian

gkremian New Member

23 is definitely not too young. And, at 23, you might be the older guy to all of your friends but is that really that much of a bad thing? Think about the girls, most of them will dig an older guy :naughty: and it allows you to get freshmen -> seniors.

17. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

I enrolled in CC when I was 28, ill be 29 in 30ish days honestly theres so many different types of people you will find a clique.

BTW no one has ever asked how old I was other than the profs.

ps. I'm kind of glad I waited until I was older to start, If I had enrolled when I was 18 fresh out of high school I would have got myself wrapped up in the parties and pussy and dropped out and never finished.

18. Gannon

Gannon Guest

during college I had classes that had people in their 40's and 50's attending. I plan on going back for my masters and I'm in my 30's now.

19. Ritley

Ritley New Member

23 is definitely not too old. There are alot of people that are 23 when they graduate where I go (engineering school). The demographics here are unfortunately different from what johan described, with 75% of the students being male :wtc:

20. Ritley

Ritley New Member

Believe it or not, most people think like that when they first go off to college. Just join school groups or a fraternity or something and you really won't have to worry about not getting out enough.

21. Daria

Daria New Member

Wtf? Who the hell cares? You can go to college at 50+. What's someone gonna do? Organize a lynch mob and chase you out of the school? What is not OK about getting an education at any age? What is it of anyone else's business but yours?

So many people ask this question and I honestly don't know where this idea comes from. Is this an American thing?

22. Pepe

Pepe New Member

i think 23 is a great age.

hell, you'll be able to buy underage girls booze, you are more mature so you will do better in school, and you get way more money for financial aid.

live it up bro

23. smartypants

smartypants New Member

I didn't finish 'til I was 31

Go get 'em.

24. 7960

7960 New Member

Is 23 too old to start attending a college?

no. i went back at 22/23 and had a blast.

25. schmitty101

Went back for what? A masters degree? When you say you had a blast what exactly do you mean by this? Did you just go out and get drunk or did you go on lots of adventures/have fun? How was college the first time around?