Is 2 GB of memory worth the price?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MUDFISH, Jan 30, 2007.

1. MUDFISH

MUDFISH New Member

I am upgrading from the stock 512 MB on my Core Duo Macbook, and I would love to get 2 GB, but thats expensive... All I really do is internet, and torrents, so I'm thinking 1 GB might be OK...

For those of you that have upgraded, will I regret only getting 1GB?

2. DjShiznit

DjShiznit Representing Deutschland, yah.

I can't speak for using 1GB, but after upgrading from 512MB to 2GB on my MBP, it was a night and day difference, and worth every penny. IIRC, you get the best performance in the MB when the memory is paired. I'm not sure if you'd have 1x512mb or 2x256mb. If it has a free slot, you could consider sticking a 1gb stick in it, and adding another later - although ideally you want your pairs to be matched (for if/when you add another 1gb stick). I'd just bite the bullet and put 2gb in. It's more expensive now, but you'll likely thank youself later, and aren't sinking money into RAM that may be removed eventually. :hs:

3. Jacen2141

Jacen2141 New Member

1 GB isn't THAT bad...especially since it doesn't sound like you're really taxing OS if internets and torrents are the only thing you really use it for. I've got 512 in my little macbook and I regret not having upgrading it yet especially since my older iMac runs so much smoother on 1 GB. Granted the hard drive makes somewhat of a difference (7200rpm vs 5400rpm) but I'd say you should be fine and won't regret it. Whatver you do, I would try and stick with matched pairs like Dj said. :wiggle:

4. clog

clog NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!!11

i've been running 2gb on the macbook since I bought it. The thing never boggs down :dunno: I never booted it up with only 512, so I don't know the difference... 2 gig is not that expensive, i think i got my set for under 160.

5. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

link to said ram for $160? ram prices have gone up lately

6. clog

clog NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!!11

they must have. I think it was about July when I purchased my set :dunno: it was from ZipZoomFly.com and it was 2x1gb corsair ram.

7. S2J

S2J OT Supporter

i just received my 2GB of Gskill ram from newegg today and finished installing it and love it. They were $87/GB. i just couldnt deal with the lag with 512mb ram so i just bought 2GBs since i want to run parallels and would prefer to have 1GB for each OS.

Since im sure your macbook came just like mine with 2X256, taking one of those stick out and adding a 1GB stick equalling to 1.25GB should def be enough for surfing the internet and torrents.

8. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

I bought from Crucial, it's been a year, I just sent in mine for new ones :o

lifetime warranty ftw

9. MUDFISH

MUDFISH New Member

Well, I figured If I'm going to be spending money I might as well just get the 2GB...

I bought 2 1GB Patriot from Newegg for $188 plus a $15 mail in rebate...
    should be here by Thursday...

10. DjShiznit

DjShiznit Representing Deutschland, yah.

Sweet [​IMG] Did you check the reviews on the memory to see if others have had trouble using it in the MB's? :noes: Hopefully all works well :hs:

11. MUDFISH

MUDFISH New Member

Yea, it had 140 something great reviews and got 5 o5 5 stars... all the other Macbook people said it worked great, they just had to push hard to get them to fit right, but from what I've read thats all of memory for the most part...

12. tonpu

tonpu OT Supporter

Hmm yeah definately wondering the same thing, but i have a mbp c2d and it came with 1x1gb stick what 1gb stick should i get? and does it really make a diff if they areant paired?

13. SuperoDeus

SuperoDeus OT Supporter

I'm getting one this weekend, shoudl I just buy it with 2 gigs or upgrad on my own, I thought it would be cheaper, but I didnt know mac book memory was so much more than regular pc memory.

BTW ill be using it for some editing and graphics programs

14. bheld

bheld I'm paying you with your own money...

looks like ram prices have dropped from last month

15. Jay

Jay My shit don't stink

I believe it is.

I'm on an MBP and going from 512 to 2gb was day and night and this was before I was running parallels. I was lucky enough to get in a very good deal during the holiday season ($89.99 per gig + a total of $60 MIR which I just recieved today; so a total of $59.99 + tax per gb). At that price and during that time when 2gb was $200+ at the cheapest, I couldn't turn it down.