Is 180 BPM too high for doing cardio?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by golfnut019, Jan 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. golfnut019

golfnut019 i love them little white balls

My friend is a 25 year old female and she says it takes her about 5-10 min to hit that BPM.

2. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

I can go much higher, but wouldnt recommend it. The problem with having the heart rate too high is protein catabolism if I remember right.

3. ZeeMox

ZeeMox Opinions are like assholes. Fuck em. OT Supporter

Well since she's female, I doubt she's worried about losing muscle too much, so not really if she's going for cardiovascular conditioning.

It would probably be better if she could stick to around 150 bpm though.

4. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

on my bike rides, i have an average heart rate of 155-160... that being said, my heart rate hits 190+ fairly regularly, esp. when i'm climbing :dunno:

5. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

135-145 would be fine for her

6. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

nothing to worry about if she's healthy

7. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

what would be better about it

8. Ibanez Guy

Ibanez Guy New Member

Healthy Heart Zone (Warm up) — 50–60% of maximum heart rate: The easiest zone and probably the best zone for people just starting a fitness program. It can also be used as a warm up for more serious walkers. This zone has been shown to help decrease body fat, blood pressure and cholesterol. It also decreases the risk of degenerative diseases and has a low risk of injury. Fats are 85% of food energy burned in this zone.
    Fitness Zone (Fat Burning) — 60–70% of maximum heart rate: This zone provides the same benefits as the healthy heart zone, but is more intense and burns more total food energy. The percent of food energy from fat is still 85%.
    Aerobic Zone (Endurance Training) — 70–80% of maximum heart rate: The aerobic zone will improve your cardiovascular and respiratory system and increase the size and strength of your heart. This is the preferred zone if you are training for an endurance event. More food energy is burned with 50% from fat.
    Anaerobic Zone (Performance Training) — 80–90% of maximum heart rate: Benefits of this zone include an improved [​IMG] maximum (the highest amount of oxygen one can consume during exercise) and thus an improved cardiorespiratory system, and a higher lactate tolerance ability which means your endurance will improve and you'll be able to fight fatigue better. This is a high intensity zone burning more food energy, 15% from fat.
    Red Line (Maximum Effort) — 90–100% of maximum heart rate: Although this zone burns the highest amount of food energy, it is very intense. Most people can only stay in this zone for short periods. You should only train in this zone if you have a very high fitness level and have been cleared by a physician to do so.

9. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

My gf is like that... hits 180 - 190 doing cardio, feels like she is going to black out when going hard. Just don't let her do it on a treadmill, otherwise she is going to eat shit and fuck her face all up.

Also, have her checked for high blood pressure, heart issues, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.