SRS is 18 to young to move to a different state

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by michaele36, Jun 3, 2006.

1. michaele36

michaele36 New Member

I got offered a job at 75k a year i know its alot of money for a high school graduate. College isnt an option for me. I dont get along well with my parents but i love my brother and my dog. Should I take this job and leave my friends/family? I have some friends here not a ton.

2. The Militant

The Militant THE FUTURE

you can always make new friends
    but make sure the jon is worth it, as for your brother... talk to him about it

but i can kind of understand your situation. id do it

3. johan

johan Active Member

Make sure the job is secure i.e. get a letter of acceptance (not just verbal), then go for it. I would.

4. michaele36

michaele36 New Member

yeah, mabey i'll do it. its funny but i'll miss my dog the most because i cant talk to him on the phone :(

5. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

As Johan says you should fully understand what situation you're getting into first. Check on the company's credentials first and then make sure you feel reasonably secure about the job...

But then, take a leap. Opportunity doesn't come all the time. Take them as they come. Your brother, dog and family will be there for you when you come back on visits.

6. Helios

Helios New Member

Age alone isnt "too young" to move to a different state, mostly a maturity thing. Kids going to college do it all the time. I dont see much difference in this situation except far more personal responsibility.

I think you need to weight the different outcomes and what will ultimately be better in the long run. Dont jump to anything purely on 'wow 75K paying job' or staying just for friends/family. Think of it this way - whats gonna put you in a better situation 3-5 years from now?

Im a bit wow'ed by that too Cotton Mouth.

7. MTB

MTB New Member

It depends on if he thinks money or family will put him off better. Will your family still be there for you if you move? If so I know I would take the job. You will get to see your family I am sure even after you move.

8. johan

johan Active Member

Your brother: he will understand

Your family: you're not too close to them anyway, and eventually you will have to move away (or did you plan on living with them forever?) So at least move away on YOUR terms, not when you have no other choice.

Your dog: after you get settled in, you can bring your dog to live with you. If he is YOUR dog, and not your dad's dog for instance.

Sounds like you love your dog, and this bond is especially important because you aren't very close to your parents (surrogate family bond). If your dog could talk and reason, wouldn't he want to you do what's best for you? As any reasonable, loving, sentient being would?

So. Take a chance, be a success, then fly home 4X/year like everyone else does.

9. MTB

MTB New Member

Johan you really have words of wisdom. I can read your posts for hours! :wavey:

10. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

A lot of industries don't care about college as much as they do certifications or experience. CISCO, for example. I was actually suprised when I was browsing the local job market, and out of 100+ CISCO jobs in my immediate area, only about 5 of them required a college degree, and maybe 15 more that said one was preffered. The rest wanted CISCO certification, and most of the better paying ones, experience.

11. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Its too good an opportunity to pass up. Get it in writing, and then get your family to help you move there. You can do it. It will be hard, but you'll grow up alot, faster than you think, and you'll handle it.

Is there anything else good about the job besides money? Obviously jump starting at that pay level is huge for a person your age, but as long as you will gain valuable experience and think you can do the job well and will gain experience... this is a no brainer. On $75K a year you can afford to save alot of money AND fly home every other weekend for a while if you need to. Talk about an opportunity, man...

Just don't take the job and then blow all the money. I did that with my first high paying job. Save $10K in a savings account (check the Wall Street forum)/short term money market account (ING Direct for both these is good), then think about buying luxiries. You'll thank yourself later because of the freedom that savings provide.

12. Mercur1o

Mercur1o New Member

:werd: :)

13. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

i'm 18, please tell me off this job.

14. ZeeMox

ZeeMox Opinions are like assholes. Fuck em. OT Supporter

I left home at 17. Parents were consenting, obviously, or it couldn't have happened. Moved spontaneously to another state after I turned 18.

I don't have a high-paying job offer or anything. I just felt like it was the right thing for me to do. Seattle sounded beautiful, and I hated Kansas. It was the best decision I've ever made.

Don't try to put yourself where you'll make a lot of money, try to put yourself where you think you'll feel at home, or where you can belong. If you're already there, 75k a year isn't going to make you happy in a strange place. If you're unhappy where you are, then it can't hurt to try - trying is all you can do.

15. chips

chips ...

this is 100% true, I moved from texas to Tn when i was 18 for a job where I make great money... im here now making ALOT more then I ever could of dreamed of me making at this age ( im now 20) but.. I hate my life I have no friends and work then go home and am depressed... so money is not everything

16. FBIkilledmygoat

FBIkilledmygoat New Member

I'm kind of going through the same situation.
    I'm 20 and about to move across country because I feel it's what I need to do but, I'm so scared to take that big of a step :hs: