Is 120hz really worth it?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by redfred18t, Aug 16, 2008.

1. redfred18t

redfred18t New Member

I'm thinking of buying a new tv this weekend (MA has a "tax free holiday" this weekend) so I'm thinking of picking up a samsung 40" lcd tv. my room is kind of small but the 32" I have now just isn't cutting it.

At any rate, I was curious whether or not it was worth it to spend the coupel hundred extra for 120hz. I mostly game (360) and watch movies (ps3's blu ray player).

For a non 120hz, I was thinking of getting the a550 from samsung

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN40A...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1218845954&sr=8-1

Here is 120hz a650

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN40A...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1218845987&sr=1-1

Anyways, let me know what you guys think. Also, if there is a better TV I should be looking at, let me know.

2. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

fuck, tvs are getting as complicated as computers.

3. Nick Gerz

Nick Gerz OT Supporter

qft

4. redfred18t

redfred18t New Member

I agree

they need to simplify it so theres one model for each size. Samsung has like 8 models just in 40" alone. Shits ridiculous

5. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

I'm not a big fan of lcd in general...however I think Samsung offers the best right now. Between the two models, the 650 is alot better. It offers alot more image adjustment. The screen has a special coating which helps improve overall contrast and produce the best black levels on an lcd I've seen. It does have 120hz, but 120hz never looked natural to me. The motion on any lcd with it seemed to be in almost a fast forward motion. But anyway, I'd go for the 650 series for all the other features, not because of the 120hz. The image on that lcd is on par with mid range plasmas, and is better than any other lcd on the market.

6. redfred18t

redfred18t New Member

Sweet thanks Amill.

7. redfred18t

redfred18t New Member

ok small update. Spent like 2 hours at the store comparing between the two. You can definitely tell the difference between 120 and 60, but its not worth it to me. Also, the picture doesn't look natural on the 120. I watched the Intro to the Dark Knight (blu ray) on the 120 and then on a 60 (and plasma for shits and giggles, but my room is too bright for one) and the video just looked much better with the 60.

cliffs: getting the 60. The picture on the 120 just looks too artificual and unnatural

8. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

how is that tv (the A550)? I'm thinking of getting it for myself. Know if it's good for PS3 gaming?

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Why would they want to do that? This way they can spend next-to-nothing making a shitload of the full-featured models and a few trimmed-down models, and people will be so confused that they'll buy the best one just to be sure they don't regret buying the cheap version later. It's a great way to boost sales of the high-end models.

10. redfred18t

redfred18t New Member

I really like it. I haven't played with my PS3 since I got it but bluray looks unreal (use my ps3 as a bluray player most of the time)

The opening scene of The Dark Knight is just epic on the 550

11. Harry V. Gina

Harry V. Gina How did your family do in Katrina?

Just get a plasma.

12. deusexaethera

Plasma is nice, but it uses a lot more electricity and it's much heavier. LCD is the way to go if you want to wall-mount the screen and if you aren't ridiculously picky about picture quality.

13. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

:nono:

The wattage listed on a plasma is max power. A 42" Plasma usually is rated around 390 watts. However, when used at home with the settings at normal levels they use between 180-300watts. The lcds are usually rated a bit lower, but not by much mabye around 80watts less, but it's constantly using that wattage. Either way, if you can notice a difference in your electrical bill and are concerned you shouldn't be buying a tv. The weight aspect....are you holding it when watching it?

14. deusexaethera

The heavier it is, the more stress it puts on the wall. Obviously if you're going to hang anything, you want it to be as light as possible.

When you say an LCD screen constantly uses its rated wattage, do you mean whenever it's on or whenever it's plugged in? Also, the new LED LCDs use far less wattage than either fluorscent LCDs or plasmas.

15. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

:rolleyes: There is no issue wall-mounting any plasma on the market on a standard framed wall.

Obviously it only uses it's rated wattage when it's on. In standby they use a tiny amount or energy. As far as the LEDs go, again, if you are worried about your electric bill that much you shouldn't be buying a tv. I didn't notice an increase in my bill adding any of my flat panel displays.

16. deusexaethera

1. There are some pretty cheaply-made houses out there -- studs farther apart than they should be, thinner than they should be, shit like that. It shouldn't be an issue, but it's worth considering.

2. Regarding the wattage, I was just checking to make sure. You weren't clear the first time around.

3. Less power is always better, even if you don't notice the difference. I'm an engineer; these things matter to me.