MIL IRR - Change of Branch?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by PFC Lowell, Aug 22, 2009.

1. PFC Lowell

PFC Lowell Velox et Mortifer

Howdy barracks, I come with a question for you jailhouse lawyers. I am wondering when I go into the IRR (army), is it possible for me to reenlist into another branch, say the marines or navy in that time? I'm a reservist that will have completed 6 years of service. Yes I'm sure someone will tell me im a moron for asking a question and its obviously [yes/no]

2. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

you cannot switch to the Marines without going to Marine Recruit Training, if you wish to I am sure it can be done.

3. PFC Lowell

PFC Lowell Velox et Mortifer

I understand that, thanks for the response I wouldn't mind going to bootcamp/SOI whatever I needed to do but its good to know that. I am looking possibly at SEAL training (dont laugh....) when i go into IRR I should be 23 so we'll see :hs:

4. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Yes

5. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

Yes, you can. I served 5 years active duty Marines, then immediately went AF guard. Now I'm back in the Corps. It was rather easy getting released from a service's IRR. Now going back to the Corps, that was a pain in the ass, since I was conditionally released from the AF.

6. willijdub

willijdub New Member

being reserve you can switch to active duty/ another branch any time, you do not have t wait to be in the irr. just get your co to sign a conditional release form, and bam, good to go. go talk to the recruiter of the service you want to join, and they can give you a pre filled out form, just have your co sign it and you may transfer. i did this to go active from reserve component.