iRiver H10 vs. iPod Mini+radio reciever vs. Zen Micro

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Damn it Bobby, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Damn it Bobby

Damn it Bobby .

I like the FM radio, longer battery life, more functionality of the iRiver, but I was wondering which one of the these has the best features for the price.

I'm leaning towards the Iriver H10 so far, and it is only 50 bucks more than the Mini and 30 more than Zen, but I like the colour screen of the H10.

I'd probably also get a FM attachment for the Mini, but I'm not leaning that way unless the Mini blows me away when I go test them out.

Any of you have experience with both? Ups and downs of each setup?

2. allen2oo3

allen2oo3 New Member

i have the h10 and love it. before owning the h10 i had the zen touch for about 2 weeks and returned it. the touchpad is way too sensitive (the micro has the same touchpad)...even with the sensitivity turned all the way down it is still hard to select the item you want. very annoying in my opinion. the h10 touchpad is perfect. i personally like to just tap on the arrow on the touchpad to go up and down.
    h10- looks amazing (I know this is objective but imo the h10 looks better than both) removable battery, fm radio, fm recorder, picture/text viewing, color screen, comes with a great case (just like the iskin for the ipod). def worth the extra money.

let me know if you need to know anything more about hte h10 ive had it for a while now so im pretty familiar with it.

3. Damn it Bobby

Damn it Bobby .

sweet, thanks

it's more expensive than its competitors, these are canadian prices:

ipod min - 329
    zen micro - 349
    dell DJ pocket - 279 :eek3:
    h10 - 379

I heard that the firm ware has been upgraded for the micro so the touch pad is less sensitive, but I like the colour screen.

A question though - I use Itunes, but the Iriver uses WMP to transfer files, I was wondering if you could use Itunes, and if the filenames are all screwed up when you put your songs in. I want it to look like my list, sorted by tags and not by filename.

Ps. and does it have smart playlists? Like sort by rating or genre + most played, etc.

4. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

:dunno: I plan to use my PSP for music - there will probably be a radio add-on before too long or you can probably listen to internet radio through wifi.

5. allen2oo3

allen2oo3 New Member

you should be able to use itunes to export your music. i dont use itunes so i am not positive. you music will be exported not by filename but by id3 tags.

6. allen2oo3

allen2oo3 New Member

have you heard anything about an upgrade for the zen touch? my gf kept hers so she'd prob be interested in that.

as for the smart playlist im almost positive it does. i'll run out to the car a little later just to double check.

7. Damn it Bobby

Damn it Bobby .

http://www.nomadworld.com/downloads/firmware/

goog :eek3:

8. allen2oo3

allen2oo3 New Member

i checked and yes it does have smart playlist.
    my gf updated her firmware and says its still not great (touchpad)...jsut somthing to keep in mind

Last edited: Feb 12, 2005
  9. Damn it Bobby

Damn it Bobby .

I read in a review that you should press down on the touchpad firmly at first, like your pushing down a button, and it will be more accurate :dunno:

I like the colour screen though, but I'm going to check out both in person tomorow

10. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

What the fuck ever happened to buttons? What is with the obsession of touchpads? Touchpads blow. They always work when you don't want them to, and they never work when you do want them to. What seems to be so fucking complicated about using buttons, or a sega genesis controller style directional button pad, where up is up, down is down, right is right, left is left, and pushing on the middle is ENTER? It's 100000000x simpler than some goddamn touchpad.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2005
  11. Damn it Bobby

Damn it Bobby .

on your computer mouse would you rather have two buttons that say up and down ot a scroll wheel?

12. Damn it Bobby

Damn it Bobby .

ps. is it true you can't delete songs off your library on the iriver? kinda a big feature that I would like

if not will there be a firmware upgrade?

13. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

I'm fine with scroll wheels, like on a mouse, or a dell pocket DJ (I hate iPod style wheels), but I hate touchpads, like they have on laptops, although they make sense on laptops, they are just uselss on something as simple in operation as an MP3 player.

14. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

And I have an iRiver H10 question as well: Can you manage your files/folders by accessing the device through Windows Explorer, just like any other file?

15. grue

grue New Member

The fuck?

People listen to the RADIO, in 2005???

16. Damn it Bobby

Damn it Bobby .

when I don't feel like listening to music I turn on the radio for news, sports, random classic songs I haven't listened to in a while, etc

17. grue

grue New Member

I'll let it slide... this time. I'm keeping my eye on you.

18. wesdood

wesdood New Member

uh.. the wheel on the mouse isn't.. a touchpad...... but even then u don't need it. and buttons might be kooler, cuz the mouse scroll thing doesn't always work on all types of window, btu the buttons might