MIL Iraqisizing the war

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by AlextheDroog, Jun 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlextheDroog

AlextheDroog Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any ya

Rumsfeld says it will take more than 10 years to stabilize Iraq and that the only way that could happen is if the iraqi security forces step up and take control of the situation (i'm paraphrasing).

Does that sound like a doable plan from you're (soldiers there primarily, miliatary personnel in general) viewpoint.

What in your opinion will it take to stabilize iraq and how long?

I remember the oval office saying the same thing about vietnam (vietnamizing the war) and all that happen was the US pulled out and North Vietnam took over the south anyway...

2. BassBoy14

BassBoy14 New Member

dont know about that but like you av

3. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

This thread will stay in Teh Barracks only as long as it doesn't become a debate troll. (see #2 and #3 here: http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=1808625)

Assuming you are genuinely interested in this, I'll answer with what I have heard from my sons who are in Iraq now.

The Iraqi security forces that are active now are not the same forces that we propped up and pointed at Fallujah...only to see them throw down their weapons and run away from the first shots that were fired at them. That experience humiliated the Iraqis into forming their own Iraqi Commando brigades. We saw what they were doing, admitted that they had a better idea, and supported it with training, equipment, and money. Now, the Iraqi Commando brigades are better than we are at going to a hot spot and performing house-to-house insurgent searches. They can pick up foreign Arabic accents immediately and they have the ability to intuitively sense bullshit that American soldiers wouldn't have the faintest clue about. They were formed for exactly that purpose: to descend on a hot spot of insurgent activity, to find and neutralize the insurgent network, to restore some semblance of peace, and then to move on to the next clusterfuck and do the same thing.

After the fall of Fallujah, Samarra became one of the "go to" places for the insurgents. Samarra also became one of the first cities to test the abilities and resolve of the Iraqi Commando brigades. It began with 100% Coalition patrols and raids. Then as the Commando brigade moved in, they started working with the US Army, doing joint patrols/raids. Now I believe the Iraqi Commando brigade that was sent to Samarra is essentially on their own. They have the ability to call in Coalition support if/when needed or desired, and US soldiers routinely accompany them on their raids, but they are a dedicated and effective indigenous force that the insurgents both know and fear.

There is hope for the future. But as Bush has indicated, it will take time. My fear is that the political armchair generals won't continue to support the effort, and will pull us out long before Iraq is ready. That would be a crime and just one more example of the US walking away from our responsibilities.

4. AlextheDroog

do you think that iraq will go the same way vietnam did? Alot of fighting and retoric but in the end nothing significant came of it..

5. Ranger-AO

I don't see any real similarities between Iraq and Vietnam. As long as we are able to give the elected Iraqi government the time that they need to build up their political, civil, and military infrastructure into something that has a hope of lasting, we will have done our job.

Pull us out prematurely, however, and we will have flushed everything down the drain.

6. Ranger-AO

I sincerely doubt that Iran will attack an ally of the US. :hs:

edit: but if they did, Iraq and the US fighting against a common external enemy would be good for Iraq-US relations. :mamoru:

7. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

This war is not controlled as much by politicians as Vietnam was. Different time, different people. Don't expect a second Vietnam. I am willing to say, I see a base in Iraq for many years to come, similar to Germany.

8. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

I imagine that after WWII, the european countries we stayed in didn't want us there either.

9. AlextheDroog

if they don't want us there should we be there anyway?

10. Ranger-AO

...and that is a question for DIACF, not Teh Barracks. We go where we are ordered to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.