IPSEC VPN through firewall/router

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SLED, Dec 13, 2003.

1. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

IPSEC VPN through firewall

i'm working with this lady on some contract stuff for her law office and she had this guy working there on IT stuff before and setup this netgear vpn firewall. Well, half of her employees work from home and need access to their files that could consist of patient records and other confidential info. The VPN idea was fine until her employees started buying home firewall/routers. Wow, what a pain in the ass.. i can get all the workstations connecting to her office from her employees homes (behind the firewall) and it authenticates and everything, but will NOT let anybody access any resources. I can't FTP, PING, or telnet to ANYTHING. Everything works just fine if i disconnect the router, and plug the clients into the cable modem directly. I tried everything almost. I made sure the home routers allowed IPSEC passthru and that ftp was allowed on the incoming connections. I also tried throwing the local ip address of the pc on the router's DMZ... still nothing.

It's really throwing me for a loop, and all she needs to have is her employees access files securely over the internet. I'm about 1 nerve away from just installing cygwin on her server with OpenSSH, forwarding port 22 through the router at the office and calling it a fucking day. They already have SFTP clients.

It sucks cuz she already spent the money on the hardware... what do you think i should do? Is there anything else to try with the VPN side of things?

2. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

Sounds like a similar problem I had less complicated though.

Broadband modems with dependant intergrated firewalls are horrible.

What are they using at the office for a connection and does it has a firewall on it?

Also do you have the ICMP enabled on the Netgar Router? This may not be a good question since your able to see files from the outside.

If your not able to ping the router or FTP this may be the problem seems odd though if you have DMZ enabled.

Wish I good help more :hs: I'm a bit rusty with networking so pardon me with any dumb suggestions.

3. SLED

no dumb suggestions man. i'm willing to try just about anything at this point. I'm not blocking ICMP on either side of it (client or server). I forget the model, but the vpn server is a netgear :ugh:

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

What Private IP address are you handing out for VPN clients? Most home routers use 192.168.1.?. If your VPN addresses are in the same class, you'll have all kinds of networking problems. In other words, try changing your VPN IP addresses to the Class A address (10.?.?.?)

5. you might be f-d -- a lot of cheaper VPN solutions can't read/handle the several-times encapsulated packet structure that multiple soho routers (or multiple any routers of course) forces on you ... I couldn't use my linksys when we used the symantec raptor VPN client for our raptor firewall at the office ... now that we moved to a cisco solution, it's golden ... I could authenticate and allegedly the tunnels were built, but I had zero resource accessibility with the raptor solution ...

6. interesting, was also just reading about VPN solutions that attempt to use certificates that fragment at the router due to being over standard frame length ... a list of routers that exhibited fragmented certificate problems that seem similar to described:

Linksys BEFSRxx v1.39 or v1.40.1

SMC 7004BR Barricade R1.93e

Nexland Pro400 V1 Rel 3M

NetGear RT314 V3.24(CA.0)

Asante FR3004 V2.15 or later

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/vpn/client/rel401/401_clnt.htm (halfway down) ... just a thought.

7. SLED

dude, just looked at the router, and it's that RT314... i did also try a newer D-link though, and it did the same thing :sad2:

oh well, i think i'm going to set up the SFTP server... she only needs to grant access to the files anyways.

8. Balzz

Balzz N54 Elitist OT Supporter

Check if there are any firmware upgrades that allow the VPN termination device to support NAT-Transparency - encapsulation with a UDP wrapper.

9. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

And my suggestion?

10. SLED

they are on seperate subnets... tried that

11. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

forgive me, I'm tired as fuck so my answers/questions may be unintelligible at this point - I'll look back at what I'm writing tomorrow.

is the office router/server/whatever trying to authenticate back to the home computers through any specific ports? If so, you might try setting up the home routers with port forwarding of those ports to the computer. Also you might try doing a MAC address clone on the home routers so that it will see a NIC's MAC instead of a Router's MAC and perhaps let it through.

and did you try changing the address range being assigned by the router? Change from a 192.168.1.x system to something like 10.5.1.x and see if that makes any difference.

:dunno:

of course, depending on what kind of server or whatnot the clients are trying to access you could setup a "thin-client" or VNC connection and just feed a desktop with all the apps/etc. over the network.