GUN ipsc/uspsa crew, need some help

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by spankaveli, Dec 1, 2009.

1. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

i need to order some magslick and an arrendondo mag brush but i'm one of those ocd so i dont order two things from two different companies types of persons. :o

i know that brownells sells the magslick and i get can get a generic mag brush but i need something that'll help me take off the mag plate.

any suggestions? i'd like to buy it all from one place.

2. sprite

sprite Active Member

Not sure who carries both but you want the GTUL instead of the Arredondo brush.

3. sprite

sprite Active Member

Also, you could try this stuff in lieu of the MagSlick: http://www.blastergroup.com.au/dry-teflon-lube.html

Should be able to find it at any big-box hardware store or lots of auto parts places.

Its what I use on the inside of mags when their broken down for cleaning and it works well. I know a number of others on Enos use it as well...

4. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

I'm really looking for somethign to coat the outsides but I assume it will work the same way. Have you used it like that?

I used the magslick on my mags before A4 and just doing some dryfire and at the match I could tell they were dropping easier than before when I'd cleaned them. It's about that time again (had a couple mags stick this past match).

I've used the GTUL before with little success but I might give it a shot.

5. sprite

sprite Active Member

I've never had problems with my Glock mags dropping so I don't put any lubricant on the outside of the mag body.

The "pin" on the Arredondo brush is too fat to work with the Glock base plates (at least it is on the Arredondo brush I have). I haven't had any trouble with the GTUL... make sure you push the pin all the way in to pop the plate up into the body, and align the clamp with the mag body right and they come off super easy. :dunno:

6. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Thanks. I only tried it once or twice so I'll order one and give it a shot.

As far as the glock mags dropping, I have had it a few times (and twice this past match, one that cost me a stage win. :mad: :o).

Thanks for the info :bigok:

7. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Stop. What you want for your mags is something called plexus. It's is a special glass cleaner for airplanes but it is popular for cleaning plastics on motorcycles, and paintball guys use it on their goggle lenses. Use it on the inside and outside of your glock mags, as well as the follower. It is super slick, completely dry, and does not attract dirt. It even smells good (like lemon pledge). You can get it at most paintball stores.

As far as mag brush I like the wire and cotton 45 single stack brushes. It's more like a mop and works good with plexus. You can wash it and reuse it. I replace them like once a year. I don't remember the brand name I get them at my local turners gun shop. I'll pop in and see what it's called later in the week. I just put a key ring on it and attach my arredondo mag base tools for it. I like it as it's smaller than the arredondo brush. The arredondo brush is not bad either but I like the cotton mop for applying plexus.

8. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

9. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

That Plexus stuff only work on plastic I assume?

What are you guys using (if anything) on mettle mags? I probably should go through and clean my CZ mags, as I haven't really done that in a long time.

10. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

11. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

Thanks! Good info.

I have a bunch of Plexus that I've always used for cleaning my helmet and motorcycle windscreen. Never even thought about using it on any other plastics... and certainly not my Glocks :cool:

As for removing the Glock mag plate, I have always used the Glock armorer's tool. Stick that pin in there and twist forward and it pops right off.

12. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

well, i ordered a gtul last night. apparently the atv/bike shop 2 miles from my work carries the plexus stuff so im going to go by there after work and pick up a can

thanks ray :cool:

just called the yamaha shop, the "big can" (which i assume is the 13oz) is 8.95. i could almost buy 3 cans for the prcei i'd pay for one online. :rofl:

13. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

wasn't quite as cheap as i was quoted on the phone (11.95 7oz/15.95 13oz) but still cheaper after tax than anywhere online after shipping.

14. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

shit lasts a long long time. You don't need that much of it. Make sure you apply with a cloth, not paper towels. Real good for shooting glasses too.

15. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

my GTUL and brush came in yesterday.

cleaned the mags inside and out and cleaned the magwell also.

mags drop like butta now. smoother than before (and just as well, if not better than after i cleaned 'em with magslick before area 4.)

:bowdown:

Thanks for the help ray. :big grin: